IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition

Guys, this is REALLY worth a look! :smiley:

5 Likes

Oooh, looks nice. Downloading now, as free for existing CloD owners (which is really nice btw).

A 7.2GB download, so as @komemiute’s summary link shows, lots of new stuff.

4 Likes

Same here!
Eventually, maybe, perhaps, I’ll be flying this stuff later on.

1 Like

Some quick screens for the curious or encumbered with real life:

4 Likes

Plus I suppose I could actually play the thing rather than take screenshots? Will just go figure out how to record in-flight and post some more later.

6 Likes

Can anyone confirm VR capable? It was mentioned for next patch ? Looks pretty am redownloading it again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not that I can find so far. :vr:

Beginner’s guide:

2 Likes

Some quickies - I’m terrible after all this time though, plus need to do the ‘HOTAS Game’ as well.

Me and the gents:

Looking spiffy!

Boo, hiss! etc

Attention, a group.

Furry furballs, something CloD always did well.

Chaos ensues…

I pick one out of the pack…

Please…

Stay…

Still.

Ok, no-one wants to see me shot down, so let’s all pretend I landed back at Manston and we all had tea and crumpets. Hooray!

6 Likes

Way to serve up some .303 fearless!

2 Likes

Does il2 have a decent flight model? Or is it more war thunder? I have zero experience with the series.

Similar to a DCS FC3 SFM (simple standard flight model) sort of aircraft I think. It won’t do anything too odd (it’s a sim essentially from 2011) but the real stand-outs are the large scale battles and the damage modelling. The engine management on multi-engines like the Blenheim are pretty cool as well.

1 Like

IIRC TF did some work on the FMs as well.

I classify them as “sufficient”…given my limited time with CloD I find that the FMs never were a weak spot in the title. It had enough other problems over its first couple years of release that I never cared. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, given the extended time to refine what was essentially a beta release (even though it was still another 18 months after the previous “release” which was REALLY a beta) in 2012, I’m sure that part is certainly up to par.
I’m more concerned with how the coop works and how engaging it is in SP now.

1 Like

Sweet! Downloading as I type. I’ll definitely try to free up some stick time this weekend.

1 Like

Not sure if it was the correct protocol, but I uninstalled the original and then installed Blitz. I read some posts where if you install Blitz without first removing the original CloD (TFS), you end up with some links between them, requiring you to uninstall Blitz before uninstalling the original CloD (TFS). I had also created a second Steam library folder on another drive so that it resulted in a relocation of the app to regain some hard drive space where I had originally installed Steam.

To create a second Steam Library folder, go to Steam->Settings->Downloads->Steam Library Folders.

PS: backup you missions, campaigns, skins etc.

I will definitely not say ‘Simple FM’. Yes, it is from 2011 and there was no big development since but the FM was Advanced in 2011 imho.

And DM is unmatched even today I would say.

Plus semi-clickable cockpits, means not all knobs and switches are clickable but the main systems are and you can perform manual startups. And this is by purpose, it never wanted be in the league as DCS WWII but definitely higher league than BOX.

1 Like

That will come in the 5.0 patch.

1 Like

I only meant it in the moniker of the DCS comparison with the ‘SFM, PFM and AFM’ flight models that @Gunnyhighway might be familiar with. The ‘Simple’ was only part of the name rather than description of its underlying complexity. I like it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOW!!! This is a Nice Early Christmas Surprise!!!:smiley::smiley::smiley:

I cannot speak for “IL-2 Cliffs of Dover” but I can tell you “IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad” series is superb in terms of the flight model as it stands today. Remember, these two games are different flight sims. They are not the same thing.

1 Like