It's here.....! (and other VR thoughts)

Fantastic! Cool find, @Maico :eyeglasses: :vr:

1 Like

Those look pretty cool @Maico, @Paulrix also posted these earlier in the thread:

Regarding prescription lenses, I went this route.

http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/5

Not the cheapest option, and the inserts needed some help to stay in place (they have a solution for that problem now), but far more comfortable that wearing regular glasses in the headset. The big disadvantage is that you have to remove them if someone else is going to use the headset. It doesn’t take a moment to remove them, but it is a bit of a pain.

Does the Rift really offer that little clearance?

YES, there is very little wiggle room. My “regular” size glasses don’t fit. If you scratch the lenses you are “DONE!”. I fly in my contacts most of the time, but I am getting old and tired of my contacts. The lenses I show have a gigantic shortcoming. Once you use these, you can no longer see through the nose opening. This is a big downfall of the Rift and one of the things that attracted me to the HTC Vive. Being able to see in front of you is a HUGE advantage to us who use maps and checklists. I will try to find more info on the Oakleys, but I believe right now, Paul Rix’s solution is the best one here.

Well, the VR Lens Lab solution has had it’s problems with the Rift design, but overall I have been very happy. My prescription is very mild, and so the lenses cause no noticeable distortions around the edges, but I have heard of others with strong prescriptions that have not had the same experience.

I don’t use contacts mainly because I’m kind of squeamish about putting a foreign object on my eyeball, so glasses of one form or another are the only solution for me.

I have read that some people are doing great using cheap, wireframe type glasses that you can order online. I’m going to stick with the VR Lens Lab solution though…

1 Like

Kludger,
See my post here. This Inatek card was worth every penny. It cured a lot of problems I was having when I got the Rift.

1 Like

Thanks @Maico, I took your advice and have one of those shipped from Amazon arriving tomorrow :thumbsup:

Wish I had paid attention to that ahead of time so I could be using my Rift right now…

Glad I could help. This card helped me resolve an issue with my Thursmaster Warthog as well. I like it and hope you will too.

Hang in there man… One more day.

Anyone using a Rift who also uses multi-focal contact lenses? I can’t find any info on how/whether these might work. I use multi-focal glasses for work and when i wear contacts my optometrist has them set up so my left eye (-3.25) is focused for close work and my right eye (-5.75) is set for distance vision.

I’m guessing that setup won’t work for the Rift, so I would need single prescription lenses for glasses and contacts?

The focal point of the Oculus Rift is fixed at infinity, so really it is myopia/short sightedness that needs to be corrected. If your glasses are under a certain size then they might be the best bet. Glasses info here:

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/240118749657829

I don’t have any experience with multi-focal though, so the best thing might be to try to get a local demo. Anywhere near you that does them?

1 Like

Slaps forehead - I didn’t even consider that… Thanks.

This Early Access (I know) title looks pretty cool…although I’d be less inclined to buy it if it is just racing. If it were an exploration or surface mining/building type title I’d probably pick it up:

A bit late on this one :slight_smile: but don’t forget to remove that when using FlyInside with P3D, it’ll conflict and cause bad frames apparently.

2 Likes

Yes, I see a shimmering or mirror effect on the left and right edges when moving my head in P3D. But, CTRL - KP1 turns it off easily enough. Also, the jury is still out on whether or not it improves my experience in DCS. Sometimes I thing that it does, but other times, like when strafing with a cannon, the effects seem to cause stutters.

1 Like

I think it is just when using FlyInside with P3D or FSX as it does its own form of timewarp interpolation (the author of the app was one of the first to get this going I think back in the DK1 days?). I believe the native P3D VR support might be ok with ATW (or rather as ok as anything is).

How is P3D 3.4 in VR without FlyInside? I haven’t tried it yet.

One for @BeachAV8R, as I don’t have it - I haven’t got on the P3D train as yet, as am waiting to see how XP11 turns out.

Not good. The native VR support in P3D is not good at all. Lots of things can’t be clicked, it is slower (FPS wise). FlyInside is way better…

2 Likes

I’m very happy with P3D v3 - which is saying something since I had bought the original P3D and only flew it probably about 2 hours. I’ve already way surpassed that with P3D v3. It looks great and has lot of bells and whistles that FSX doesn’t have. I can say a point in the near future where I only have X-Plane 11 and P3D v3 installed (and hopefully one unified copy of DCS World)…

1 Like

Found that an old favorite, the RLaborie A400M works great in P3D v3 and VR. You have to use the zoom axis a bit when you are looking for buttons, but this was my first try at a big cockpit airplane…and the Rift really makes it feel like you are in a huge cockpit. The fold down HUD glass is really cool and all the 3D buttons and knobs in the A400M make this one a real treat in VR. I still haven’t figured out a way to take better screenshots when using the Rift. If I use the default “V” key in P3D, all it records is a black screen. If I temporarily go to the FlyInside desktop presentation which shows a 2D window, I can use ALT-F1 which is the NVidia screen capture (those are the ones shown), but the little windows is of less resolution than what I’m seeing in the Rift. Still trying to figure it all out…

2 Likes