It's here.....! (and other VR thoughts)

I wouldn’t advise it. Castle law dictates I preemptively slap you back with one of these…

I can’t speak for North Carolina, wherein one @BeachAV8R resides.

@BeachAV8R, it’s magical, innit?

@near_blind, sorry, you will have to explain that a little clearer. Looks like a shotgun shell? Castle law?

lol, no problem. Castle Law is a name for a set of legislation saying that property owners have leeway in defending their property from uninvited intruders. I.E. can ostensibly shoot them.

The picture I linked is a bean bag round, a (nominally) less than lethal projectile fired from a shotgun to disperse protesters.

All this to make a joke that A) slapping random people in Texas is a bad idea (probably wouldn’t get shot though, that would be intentional hyperbole for humorous effect B) Beach doesn’t live in Texas.

LOL, thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile: I’m not a Texan either, I just live here. I can’t even blend in with the locals because my accent gives me away the moment I say something.

OMG - Just took a spin in the DCS A-10A as suggested by @chipwich - wow…unbelievable. The feeling of sitting in a cockpit…the 3D look of the ADI…heck…everything. I completely agree with @PaulRix - this is the closest I’ve felt to being in an actual cockpit that I’ve ever seen. It is just…wow…wow! Yeah…the resolution isn’t the greatest, but at this point…it is really an indicator of where we are going.

Alright…gotta run to a soccer game (real…not VR…lol…) but I’ll be up late tonight I think.

One thing I can say…in just dorking around with a couple demos. There is good VR and there is bad VR. Bad very is still cool…but it will make you sick. LOL… Can’t wait to try out some quality VR titles. Any suggestions right off the bat? I’m thinking about Subnautica to lure my wife in…

:sunglasses: I think you can now appreciate why we have been raving about it. The thing with VR is that no matter how good people tell you it is, you just have to experience it for yourself.

Subnautica is very pretty, but it still makes me feel kind of queezy in VR. Maybe I just need to play it more. I have a lot of time invested playing it on a regular monitor though.

Elite Dangerous is pretty good in VR if space games are your thing.

AeroFly FS 2 is VERY nice in VR.

FIRMA is a fun and cheap.

Lucky’s Tale is surprisingly fun if you enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog or similar games in your youth.

The Apollo 11 Experience is neat, although you will probably only go through it a couple of times. Great to demo the headset though.

CAP2 of course…

War Thunder is fun in VR

The Climb is supposed to be really good. I’ll probably get that when I get the Touch Controllers in December (already pre-ordered :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes
  1. Go fly a helicopter. Do it. Do it Now. Get to da choppa

2. Stay away from fixed wing combat, especially A2A. you don’t want to become jaded like me.

• Subnautica
  • Elite: Dangerous
  • House of the Dying Sun

I’ll have to check if the other’s I have are rift compatible.

2 Likes

Well, you have a 1080, so with pixel density changes it will look even better in DCS when tweaked.

For games, what @PaulRix and @near_blind said. Do look through the apps and concept sections in Oculus Home - there are a bunch of cools things. Virtual Desktop is great for 3d movies etc.

Not mentioned yet but worth checking out in VR if you have them already:

• Dirt Rally.
  • Project Cars
  • Lunar Flight
  • Minecraft (the new Win10 version from Oculus Store)

Oh, and do the 15 minute free trial of FlyInside - it works far better than FSX should really and is worth the look.

Rise of Flight is amazing in VR, especially air-to-air combat.

A DX9 title, so disabled on Rift for a while unfortunately I thought? :frowning:

You said words that I don’t understand. LOL…is that something down the road or something?

Don’t tell my son. I’ll never get to use my Rift…

Darn…I missed that on sale recently…as in yesterday I think…grr…

Gonna do that tonight. If I can get online I’ll give a shout.

Well now that you mention it, the groupthink also seems to be leaning towards choppers tonight.

It’s in VR options. I think your 1080 can do 2.0 easy, and perhaps keep up with about 2.4

TL;DR is that it sort of ‘supersamples’ the image making it more crisp.

2 Likes

It is literally just super sampling by another name. In my experience ~1.5 is where it really becomes beneficial. If you can go higher all the power to you.

2 Likes

2 Likes

RISE OF FLIGHT IS ON VR?!? See you guys in a week or two.

Beach, I don’t know if you have figured this out, so here it goes.
In DCS go to Options and Controls, Look at the list of Controls for the aircraft. You will see one that says UI controls. Here you can program Zoom and Center to your HOTAS.

Loop the loop under the Hover Dam in your favorite aircraft.
Spend an hour just going through the pits in DCS. An hour of amazement.

Apollo 11. Walking on the moon made me sick enough to have to put down the Rift for two days.
Pixel Desity. I run 2.0 with my 980ti. In a week or so, Im sure you will find what settings work for you.
I needed to turn down a lot of stuff on DCS and P3D to run VR. Curious to know how the 1080 users are doing.

Welcome to the club and …

GOOD LUCK!

1 Like

Well. I don’t really know that anything I can type can really impart how incredible the Rift experience is. I just spent a half an hour just flying around downtown Las Vegas with the Ka-50…and…I’m speechless. The feeling of being there is just incredible. The Ka-50 looks gorgeous… And the feeling of moving your head and feeling like you are moving in a 3D cockpit and looking beyond is something that is super hard to describe, but feels as natural as breathing. And it is way different than the feeling of TrackIR because with TIR you have so much frame of reference around your monitor, so your brain knows you are cheating. With VR…you totally feel there. And oddly enough, you feel like you can control the helicopter so much more precisely. I was flying a hovering circle around a single tree and it felt like I was there. I landed in a parking lot in and amongst some cars and I felt like I could make such precise movements and place the helo exactly where I wanted because I could actually see the depth perception and…just wow.

You can’t even take screenshots of it though. The A-10A - when the light is coming from behind you and illuminating the panel. Just magnificent. I don’t know how I’m going to see distant targets…the resolution suffers a bit in that regard…but wow. Just wow.

Can’t wait to try FlyInside now…

I’ll have more details on what I’m running when I figure this stuff out. I have DCS maxed and it was butter smooth at 2.0 pixel density. But what am I supposed to be running as far as monitor resolution with the Rift?

2 Likes

I hope, during the past few months, that I wasn’t coming across as too pushy when I was pestering you to jump onboard Gen 1. But now you know why I wouldn’t let it drop. If you have the MiG 15, take it up for a hop. You will feel like you are practically wearing it…