It's here.....! (and other VR thoughts)

Paul,
I feel that with the MiG-15 and the 109. Maybe a bit with the Mirage. Paul, you nailed it. Pushy, we were never pushy lol.

Beach,
Experts call that feeling “Presence”. Wait till you see tracers flying past!!! Df against a Mustang in the 109 SCARY!!! On the positive side, I never was able to take off and fly the WW2 birds like I am now. Its that “presence” there again.
One of my favorite things about the CV-1 is the tracking. Way ahead of TiR.

I have lowered my Res on the screen. I thinks this affects performance in a positive way but it may be placebo. I lowered Shadows and Heat Blur and got a better performance.
BTW Paul Rix hooked me up with some nice labels and the bit about Zoom and Center. Thanks Paul!

I’m going to have to figure out how to configure my two monitors and the Rift as far as outputs on the back of my 1080. I’m guessing the Rift requires the HDMI since it is carrying audio too. Prior to plugging in the Rift, I had one monitor each going to the two HDMI ports, so it looks like I need to use whatever else is back there. Time to break out the flashlight…

Does anyone know if there is something like a pixel density setting in FlyInside or P3D to make guages more readable? I’ve spent some time in P3Dv3 VR last night and it really makes you apprecite the work that Eagle Dynamics has done in DCS supporting VR.

Yeah…I tried the FlyInside demo last night…it is really cool, but my Carenado 185F has a pretty flat looking panel (gauges). It sure does contrast with the Eagle Dynamics cockpit presentation, but it is still pretty darn immersive.

Wow…CAP2 in VR looks really cool. Very nice cockpit (not as nice as DCS ones) and a great feeling of immersion at insane framerates. Resolution will be a factor… I can see that the Rift will be great for VFR flying and helos and bush flying (conveniently, all the things I really like to do)…but for now I’m not sure it will be the greatest for complex aircraft like the Airbus and Boeings and things. Still wrapping my head around how awesome it feels to be in the cockpit though…so my opinion is pretty malleable at this time.

I did play a little bit of Subnautica last night. That is a great VR experience. My son is going to freak out when he sees it. Interested to give driving sims a go as well.

So it begs the question:

Will Falcon BMS be getting VR or is there a technological hurdle there that is too great?
Same question for something like EECH?
Same question for Steel Beasts?
Same question for Arma 3?

My first impressions with the Rift were last night while wearing contact lenses. This morning, I’m wearing my regular prescription glasses. I loosened the straps (very easy to do with the Rift) and even though it is a bit of a struggle to get them on and off, once the set is on it feels pretty comfortable. I’m not sure how comfy it would be after 2 hours, but it feels good and there is enough room in the optics area of the headset for glasses. That said, I would not be surprised to see the birth of a new industry with VR specific glasses that are very low profile, with very thin frames and arms that are geared specifically toward use while VR gaming.

Now some stupid questions - the next gen Rift / VR headsets - is resolution the target? Because that is the only major thing (well, and keyboard interaction, the FlyInside and DCS techniques for pointing are pretty good though) holding this back from becoming the absolute standard in gaming/simming.

BeachAV8R

Resolution, yes.
But also input devices, like those hand controllers. Using a mouse in VR takes away from the immersion.

And of course games in which you are sitting are a lot easier for your brain. FPS? Prepare to get sick.

Michael Abrash discusses those questions at Oculus Connect 3. Jump to about 1:28 and listen to him discus the trip so far, technological challenges, and the future of VR. Jump to 1:35 to get past some humorous metaphors and to the meat of the discussion.

Edit: Truncated the url above to stop twitch video autoplay when viewing this thread.

1 Like

So just trolling around the internet…is there any validity still to using the OculusDebugTool.exe to force pixel density to 2.0? I know DCS handles this in game - but for those games that don’t offer the option, is this a good thing or not? I tried using it in CAP2, but I cannot run the tool and CAP2 at the same time without a major problem. If I open the tool, set 2.0, then start CAP2, the game menu becomes stuttery to the point I can’t really choose anything. And I can’t exit the VR world to access the desktop to shutdown the debugtool at that point (as you are supposed to do apparently).

The discussion about it is here:

I could use a demo (I’ll explore DCS World a bit more today) on this pixel density thing. I’ll try changing the settings in World and see what it means to my eyes…because it’s tough to discern placebo from reality at this point.

Interesting observation. In my case I am fortunate to be farsighted, in that things start to get fuzzy about where the front sight blade is on a pistol when presented at arms length. I can squint and read my smartphone, but it’s easier with the +1.75 readers that I carry around. But distance is no problem as well using any sort of magnified optic. No readers needed. Knowing that, I was expecting to have to wear reading glasses with the Rift, since it is hanging on the front of my melon. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised when I didn’t, and in fact they make things worse.

So, it all makes sense listening to Michael Abrash reveal that the current Rift has a focus point fixed at 2 meters.

I tell ya’ what though…Virtual Desktop is probably something that Oculus should have shipped with their kit…it is pretty darn awesome. Seems like it should almost be the default Oculus app…

Wow…(again)…the 360 virtual videos are pretty nifty…(not exactly my kind of music in this one…but the VR technology is pretty cool…)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppTvwQNgro

Kai will flip his lid over this one - (kind of hokey from a Star Wars fan…the Hefty Bag pants of Vader are kind of funny)…but he will think its really cool…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeDOoLwQQGo

Wow…actually the beginning of that video with Mark Zuckerberg is pretty cool. I’m not a Facebook person (no account) but the virtual avatars meeting is kind of cool. Not hard to imagine we would have a virtual meeting room like that on Mudspike someday. LOL. (Maybe in the well deck of the Wasp eh?)

Years ago IBM set up and conducted virtual meetings in rooms created in Second Life. The idea was that presenters could walk around and add nuance to their presentation that couldn’t be added by portrait mode video conferencing. Conversely and amusingly they also wanted to replace the traits that come with live meetings such as aggressive looking or sexually attractive presenters with avatars.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-social-secondlife/

Regarding prescription lenses, I went this route.

http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/

Not the cheapest option, and the inserts needed some help to stay in place (they have a solution for that problem now), but far more comfortable that wearing regular glasses in the headset. The big disadvantage is that you have to remove them if someone else is going to use the headset. It doesn’t take a moment to remove them, but it is a bit of a pain.

2 Likes
  • Planned for BMS 15.99
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • BI has been tight lipped, deflecting all questions with references for a planned “VR game”
1 Like

Another stupid question - do I need to change the resolution in games I play in VR to match the resolution of the Rift? When I normally play DCS World, I play at 1920 x 1080…do I just keep that in the menu settings?

nope. resolution automatically changes for a VR HMD. Your quality settings however may need to be set.

1 Like

So it looks like I need two of these DisplayPort to DVI cables and keep the Rift in the HDMI socket.

Send forth the Amazon drone…!

And the $$ rises… Lol