Joystick extension?

This is my adjustable DIY chair system with swapable controller mounts. Eventually I will do a writeup about it.

I am a Lefty so throttles and other secondary controllers are on the right side. 2 rails on the right and 1 on the left.

The rails are curtain hangers with thin metal strips scavenged from windscreen wipers superglued to the insides. I use square nuts in the side to side rails and M6 bolts with the heads in the back and forth rails and wingnuts to tighten.
Without the metal strips the M6 bolts would just spin around freely.

How I have mounted the baseplate to my chair

A couple of my mounts. I drilled holes in my CH FlightStick Pro to mount it.

Happy Simming

4 Likes

nice setup man! way to go with the modularity.

After Maicoā€™s comment re springs I began by fitting the biggest, up to now I always had the weakest spring fittedā€¦ I donā€™t plan to change back. The stick only just centres despite the extension. Not much weight as it is just pvc pipe. . It does feel far more authentic and I fly as in real life with finger and thumb applying pressure rather than movement - based on 2 x 30min sessions with the extension. So far very happy with it. Thanks again everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience. I have a physio seeing me tomorrow so hopefully I will be up for Hollo Point at the weekend

2 Likes

I thought I was on the mend this morning until I twisted slightly to put a chain through a digger track to secure it to the trailer. Now im laid on the floor of the lorry pretty much unable to move without 5 mins notice. Looks like hospital Saturday.
Sorry I missed your call @Scoop talking on bouncy roads brings tears to my eyes.

5 Likes

@Victork2
Go take care of yourself man. Hope you get well soon .

1 Like

Thanks mate. Its a right nuisance. Gonna have to bite the bullet and take some time off work I think

1 Like

What happened? Pulled a muscle, a tendon or did you shift a disc? (I used to be a MMA fighter, so intimately aware of the ways bodies break :wink: )

If you pulled a muscle, no worries, couple days of light use of it, good nutrition and some gentle stretching, Bobā€™s yer uncle.
A tendon, or muscle attachment is more serious. This often happens as your muscle grows, due to hard use. Muscle tissue grows way faster than the gristle that attaches it to the bones. This can lead to damage, and that heals slower and needs more care when healing. Thereā€™s some nutritional supplements you can take to help your tendons grow and heal.
Popping a disc, or a hernia is serious damage. Go see a doctor. It can only be prevented by proper posture, but not really repaired. If it happens, you loose a lot of use of your back, as it will forever remain vulnerable.

3 Likes

I was tightening a 10 ton ratchet strap (twice the size of a normal one) and slipped my leg out from under me. I twisted as I fell and I heard a distinct POP from my back and since then Iā€™ve had a constant stabbing pain in my left side by my kidney and shooting pain all down my left thigh. It was starting to feel better but as I said I twisted again and made it much worse. I donā€™t cope very well being injured and just want to get better and think Iā€™m invincible so Iā€™m constantly aggravating it and not resting it. Which is stupid obviously. I have had 3 days off sick in 6 years. I canā€™t sit still.
Even playing on hollo pointe tonight was killing me but I canā€™t just lay on sofa and rest. Pillock.

1 Like

You seen a doc yet? Sounds like a sprain. Slightly torn connective tissue on some of your back muscles. Hurts like hell.

Eat fish. See a doctor. Donā€™t go inactive, keep mobile. Doesnā€™t sound like a hernia, but I ainā€™t no doc, so go see one. Be sure. youā€™ll be alright mate.

2 Likes

Sitting still hurts, moving less so. @Scoop put me in touch with a physio so Iā€™m gonna call tomorrow. Sucks being incapacitated. I got too much to do lol.
Cheers bud :wink:

3 Likes

Physioā€™s can work magic! Had a rib on my back that got temporarily displaced and caused havoc with the muscles there. They put me through a few torture sessions that hurt like hell but helped a lot! Iā€™ve got a lot of respect for that profession.

1 Like

I guess the mechanics would be able to take even harder springsā€¦

1 Like

Is it possible to fit two at once (the weaker ones?). Maybe pre-compress them in a vice, tie them off and fit. Then cut the ties?

2 Likes

I guess that couldd be possible, but since the springs are rather short, and the gimbal mechanism has the ability to pre tension the springs, there isnā€™t a lot of space available in the spring sockets, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Hey everyone, new to the forum here! Iā€™m looking to make an extension for my X56. The actual hardware seems to be the simple part. I can 3D print the tube and customize it to fit my chair/ setup. What Iā€™m extremely curious about is the electrical interfacing. Any recommendations on getting spring loaded pins that can fit into the coupler so that the electrical connection can be maintained through the extender. Im sure it would be possible just solder the wires from each pin to the copper receiver on the base of the stick but I donā€™t want to extension to be permanent permanent. Thoughts? A cannon plug that fits this particular setup would be ideal but so far I have found nothing in the way of replacement parts for this stick. Thanks in advance!

I bought an extension for my x56 from ebay. You could ask him where he sourced his pins

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately the seller turned out to be a prude and ā€œcould not help me out with free advice.ā€ That being said, Iā€™m now going to figure out on my own and will offer to make/ship stick extensions at cost to anyone on here that is interested!

3 Likes

hey @slackness , welcome to the forums.

I did extend my X55.
what I actually did is that I cut the wires and extended them by inserting another wires in between the grip and the electrical connector. I used connector pins (male / female) just like these so no soldering

that way you can always remove the extension wires in case you dont want to have the extension permanent.

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for the advice. Nice to see people willing to help haha. I actually did find some pogo pins referenced on a thingiverse page and used those measurements to get some off of Amazon. Should be in business Friday. But seriously, if anyone needs extensions for the x55/56 hit me up, Iā€™ve already got the files saved on my printer and all I have to is hit print. Appreciate the input from the community, thatā€™s how itā€™s supposed to work!

3 Likes

Hi Slackness,
I am very interested in getting an extension for my x56. I am itching to do helo flying and simply can not get the hang of it on the stock setup. Hoping this will help. I have access to a 3d printer at work and make the parts (most likely from the thingiverse page you saw) but I am confused on the electrical parts of it. Any insight you may have in this area would be great or if you are considering making them id love to know more.

Thank you!