Linux and Windows

I’ve been getting a bunch of these today. I’ve been using beta v9 for several days with no problem. Installed Forkboy2’s Washington today. Good chance that’s the culprit I guess.

Where’s the thumbs down. That sucks. I hate getting that screen. Though I prefer it to having to force a restart myself.

That in this day and age, the Windows kernel still can’t recover from certain application crashes. I can’t remember that an application has ever caused me a kernel panic on linux.

3 Likes

Do you feel you get better performance from sim’s (XP 11, DCS, etc) in Linux? Just curious.

Are you trying to add insult to injury or is that an actual question? :slightly_smiling_face:

In case of the latter, despite my general preference of Linux, MS is still successful on locking me into Windows for gaming. Mainly because most games still aren’t being compiled for Linux, forcing you to run them with virtualisation (e.g. Wine), which comes with a noticeable performance penalty, if it even works. If a game runs under Linux natively, it depends on the quality of the Linux drivers of the hardware.

3 Likes

A sincere question - I’ve no clue about Linux.

1 Like

This could make an excellent new thread, honestly. Linux is a very deep rabbit hole to even peek in to.

2 Likes

I’m hip. 90% percent of what I do on Windows is flight simming. The other 10% is bill paying, WX/Tide’s, and email. Don’t need all the other ‘stuff’. That 10% is handled via a web browser anyway.

But, if Linux isn’t an option for sims then I’m SOL.

I run windows on my PC for gaming and Linux on my laptop for development. I do have Steam on there and a few games but I mostly play on my PC anyway. Flightsims are not on Linux yet, though Microsoft is porting DirectX there which is bizarre to me.

Could it have anything to do with IBM buying Red Hat a couple of years ago?

Isn’t X-Plane on Linux?

That was last year, i think. Not sure how that would be related, though. IBM bought Red Hat to get more traction in Cloud Services (which is all Linux). Officially the thing with DirectX is to make things easier for tools that run a GUI under Windows Subsystem for Linux. To me, the DirectX thing is just as much an oddball as is the entire WSL thing, though.

@staff Could you do us a solid and split this off?

Ah yes you are right! Haven’t tried it so far. Flightgear is on Linux too.

I like Linux and use it at work and at home, mainly for servers and embedded systems.
I used to have an Ubuntu OS on my old laptop and it is ok for most things regular users do. My mom could use it easily, I installed it on her PC (she only needed office and a browser back then).

Sadly gaming on Linux is still not quite there, otherwise I could finally ditch Windows completely. I only run Windows on gaming PCs.
However I do agree that Win10 does a lot of things much better than previous Windows versions and it is easier to use than Linux. I might be a Windows hater but I am not delusional. :smiley:

2 Likes

When you say “not quite there”, what do you think is missing?

That more games are supported without having to use emulators, which slow down things too much and are too complex for normal users to work with.

DCS World for example is nearly impossible on Linux, at least with all functionality and without having absurdly good hardware. IIRC Proton can run it, but with worse performance and it may crash more often.

Maybe the DX12 port to Linux will improve that.

From a home user point of view I use Linux (Android) on a tablet everyday.

As for the desktop Fedora sits on a VM and I rarely touch it because I can do everything much easier in Win 10 that I much prefer anyway.

Add that all the flight sims + hardware I have is native Windows only and that is not changing anytime soon.

I wont rule out a future Windows OS being Linux based (MS already have one) if it is backwards compatible then that would be the only case I would move.
Microsoft has had its hands in the Linux pie for a number of years now because like Apple etc there is money to be made and people to be exploited. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This one is kinda cool but also kinda hurts.
Android contains parts of Linux but it is very different in some aspects, and Google built in a lot of closed source and/or un-Linux-like stuff and is progressing into that direction more and more, so… well… I stopped calling it a Linux some time ago because it became too much of its own thing.
It is a bit like calling MacOS a unix. It is. Kinda. A bit. Still not quite IMO.

2 Likes

Used Linux as Desktop for a long time, basically the complete decade starting 2000. Then switched to Mac OS X on the Desktop in 2012 and now since almost a year on Win 10.

On Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, et al) the problems were usually with third party software such as skype. It was not uncommon to me, that everything worked perfectly in skype, then hang up, make a new call and audio was totally broken. Contrary Mac OS X and Win 10 have a good integration with a plethora of useful desktop software, and they offer a decent terminal experience.

The BSD base of Mac OS X and the WSL for Win 10 makes transitioning from Linux quite easy nowadays.

1 Like

Why would they need to do that? Just ignorant here, but nvidia has drivers for linux. Son’t they work well?

I have no clue. I just heard that Microsoft is porting DX12 to Linux.
(Keep in mind that DX is basically an API of Windows in order to not have to interact with the driver directly, making programming easier. And most games use it.)

It sounds like a weird move though, as everybody seems to be switching to Vulkan anyway, and that one is Linux compatible already.