Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

I get what you mean, but the survey didn’t result in asking for worldwide VFR capable streamed scenery data either, but it looks like they got that.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” - Henry Ford

I think it’s on the dev team to not just use the past to predict what to build in the future. Given that X-Plane and P3D natively support TrackIR and VR since 2017 (ish) it’s still pretty odd to me. Asobo actually developed some stuff for Hololens for Microsoft about 3 years ago as well, so I see it as a bit of a ‘yellow flag’ that they understand the sim market as of 2019.

surely IFR bus-drivers will not be impressed :wink:

I’m not sure they want an outside view at all, just a CMD A button to hit at 1500 feet and then go get dinner. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We have auto-pilot and auto-land. Is there an auto-takeoff too? What about auto-taxi - or are they waiting for Tesla to iron that one out a bit more first?

3 Likes

Microsoft Taxi and Takeoff Simulator?

5 Likes

I’m kind of surprised there aren’t twitch streams you can watch, where you sit in the passenger seat of a 8 hour FSX flight and get deep-vein thromboses and peanuts as a coupon. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ahahaha. Ahhh…

Ugh. Long flight in economy right around the corner :expressionless:

1 Like

From what I read and understood, it will not be doing it in real time. The AI is used for processing the whole world and creating the final data that will be streamed to the sim. They may update some regions over time, but still it’s static data base - a snapshot of the world if you will. Apparently the Bing imagery, OSM data and other sources that they used constitutes to around 2 Peta Bytes while the processed data (added 3d models of buildings, trees and other procedural stuff like grass etc.) is over 2 PB, something like 2,5PB (It was said in one of the early interview with one of the devs or Phill Spencer).

1 Like

Understand… we are still not in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me it’s impossible to play any kind of simulator, car or flight without TrackIR. I feel like a horse with blinders. Once accustomed to TIR, it’s as natural as clicking the mouse button. Just flying and looking straight ahead feels just plain wrong :slight_smile: Imagine driving your car and not turning your head (grandpa mode) I really hope MS/Asobo implements it asap! (like yesterday) Sorry for ranting but it’s a requirement, not a feature.

6 Likes

There was a game announced yesterday. You sit as a passenger from point A to B in realtime. The only thing you can do it look out the window, read some magazines and sleep. This one I believe: Realistic 'Flight Simulator' Puts Players in Economy Class and It Kind of Rules

2 Likes

I’m exactly right there with you.

2 Likes

Lately I find myself deactivating TrackIR more often than I used to.
Maybe it is because of VR. Once you get halfway used to the 1:1 mapping of head movements to the view then the way TrackIR exaggerates the movements suddenly feels less natural.
…which is bad for me as I fly DCSW in VR but X-Plane in 2D as it just runs too badly.

When I click buttons in the cockpit I deactivate TrackIR, the wonky implementation of TrackIR in X-Plane and the extremely tiny clickable zones of dials force me to do either that, or hold my head extremely steady, which causes neck pain.

But completely without TrackIR… I can do it but it is way less enjoyable.

4 Likes

I think I’ll wait until the add VR capability…:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’ll wait for the Twilight Zone DLC

10 Likes

Wow, lots of good stuff in this latest video.

It was also cool seeing LAX approach and Courchevel (sloped runway airport in France).

6 Likes

Very impressive…the updraft/downdraft/turbulence modeling around cities and terrain is very interesting.

4 Likes

This has the potential to even become a nice glider sim.
I was very disappointed by FSX and X-plane in that regard but if they model all the aerodynamics like they say, then flying a glider should be possible without all the gamey artificial updrafts they did in the past.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

2 Likes

Mark me in this group as well.

1 Like