MSFS - Multiplayer Information

I’m still unsure of the mechanics of multiplayer - but this can be a meeting place where we discuss meet-ups and Fly-Ins. Starting with our kick off fly in event tomorrow!

Send me a PM or post a message here if you would like your X-Box/MS Gamertag published below:

Mudspike MS/X-Box Gamertag
BeachAV8R BeachAV8R
FearlessFrog notsofearless
TheAlmightySnark HeatBlurred
Chaz Chazflyz
Fridge FridgeFS
aggressorblue AggressorBlue
jross JAYAREMS
saghen saghen1212
chipwich ChipwichDB
Tigerwulf tigerwulf
WarPig WarPig4291
Clutch ClutchTomcat88
ForSquirrels fmdckr81
Nevo No313Nevo
schurem schurem
PaulRix Astronut71
Chuck_Owl CharlyOwl
2 Likes

With the rolling launch of the all new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS), we thought it would be fun to have a Virtual Fly-In to celebrate the launch and dabble a bit with the multiplayer options (of which I know nothing - so it will be a learning process for all of us!).

The plan is to meet up tomorrow (August 18th) in the late afternoon / early evening when hopefully most people would have their rolling install completed. Europeans and the other side of the globe could, of course, meet up a bit earlier if you can’t burn the midnight oil.

The skeletal framework is for us to gather at one of the interesting airports included in MSFS - the challenging and probably hilariously difficult Nanwalek Airport (formerly known as English Bay) located near the tip of the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska.

The 1850’ x 50’ gravel runway features some interesting surroundings as high terrain constrains approaches on the north and south ends of the runway.

Parking is accessible along the sides and near the ends of the runway, which should accommodate quite a few aircraft.

After having done some test runs into the field - the only planes that would be disqualified due to performance issues would be:

• Airbus A320
  • Boeing 747
  • Citation CJ4 (it can take off, but it is pretty hard to land it there)

That still leaves plenty of light piston and turbine aircraft that can manage the approach and landing - but it will be a challenge!

Approaches can be flown to either end of the runway - runway 1 requires a steep left hand turn to lineup, so you’ll have to watch your speed, bank angle, and account for a bit of extra wing loading…but without having too much energy that you can’t get down and get stopped.

Runway 19 is guarded by some high trees that can be slipped between, or you can come at the runway at an angle…

We will probably need to hop on the Mudspike Discord to coordinate exchange of Microsoft X-Box Gamertags. Be on the lookout here for more information or we will see you on the Discord!

9 Likes

Dang, on baby duty tomorrow night :frowning: Will need to catch the next one.

Also, I guess I need to finally figure out how Discord works, lol

1 Like

Won’t have this for a while! Looks like fun though.

1 Like

So does the setting “SHOW TRAFFIC NAMEPLATES” mean that multiplayer aircraft will have a name icon associated with them when you see them in MP? I’m at Nanwalek and I did see another aircraft on the ground, but it did not have a name/GamerTag or whatever…maybe it was just AI…

I see a Wookie!!

And then he disappeared…

Now I see “Ratingfiber51”…

1 Like

I’ve got 30GB to go and then I’ll show up!

Feel free to add “Chazflyz” in-game. I should be on and off throughout the day. Will stop by KEB.

I hate to break it to you Fidel…but I don’t think you have the performance to get the Queen off of that airstrip… :rofl:

2 Likes

Poor Antarcticano - he didn’t read my post about the King Air being underpowered…now he is chopping wood on the hillside south of Nanwalek… :rofl: :evergreen_tree: :flight_departure: :evergreen_tree: That should cost some Microsoft coins or something…

3 Likes

Is that airstrip even large enough to hold a fly in? Not a lot of “ramp” space. Late arrivals might need to come in the sea plane.

1 Like

The question is…do we have enough room for the wreckage…!? :rofl:

6 Likes

CAT2

3 Likes

No, the airstrip is too small to have a cargo plane deliver a cleanup-bulldozer!

1 Like

I’ll hand it to Dark Lord…he keeps trying!

Who knew that the most fun I’d have with a new sim is sitting just off the runway watching other people takeoff and land… Where is that lawnchair and margarita DLC??

3 Likes

almost done downloading @BeachAV8R, I’ve added you as a friend on the Xbox network, I am ‘HeatBlurred’

1 Like

Is…is…is that an Alpha-Strike coming in???

“We’re gonna come in low…out of the rising sun…”

2 Likes