MSFS - Screenshots

Visiting the USS America (LHA-6).

I think that the rolling swells in MSFS with 30 kt wind looks spectacular in motion.

9 Likes

Wow! That’s a rich environment

1 Like

I must have missed it, where can I find the LHA?

It’s a bargain, 2 x LHAs for 5 Euros :+1:

1 Like

Excellent thank you

1 Like

That looks spectacular!

1 Like

Thanks. Although it’s a shame that they are static objects, without TACAN, it’s still fun to fly out from China Lake or Miramar and do some STOVL work. America is on a heading of 260, so if you dial up the surface winds to be something like 30 kts from 260, you have to maintain 30 kts forward airspeed for a vertical landing. The LHAs are POIs on the world map, so you can add them as destinations in a flight plan and they will show up on a nav page.

The ocean swells look pretty amazing with that surface wind, but I would like it a bit better if the ships moved and they had pitching decks. I was watching one of Ward Carol’s Tomcat RIO videos recently and heard him talk about an experience when Raven One series author Kevin Miller was his LSO during a rough seas recovery and how either Ward or his pilot saw the ship’s screws when they were in the groove. Frightening in real life, but might be fun in a simulator.

Looks like there is some 3rd party ship movement and wake dev going on. You can’t hold the community back :muscle:

1 Like

That’s funny. If I saw the ships screws clearing the water in the sim, I’d think it was a bug! :joy:

As a former Harrier guy, I am proud to say that I am a member of the “12 Trap Club” and both times I went out to the USS Forrest Fire (Forrestal), there was nary a whitecap in sight.

Though my wingman did lose a boot.

After that, I was a big proponent of the VSTOL adage that it’s easier to stop and land, than to land and stop! :grin:

9 Likes

Oh man, I had no idea. It’s wonderful that DCS and consumer flight sims in general, have reached the point where they’ve become interesting to those with real life experience.

I’m really looking forward to getting back in the Harrier when the South Atlantic terrain arrives. From what I read on the Razbam discord, ED has had the map for about a month now. So it shouldn’t be long. I know that the Harrier has a pretty rich combat history in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the reason that the Falklands conflict is so appealing is that it was used in both A2A and A2G missions. And from the testing and mission building that @jross and I did last year, it seems that the A-4E is a pretty comparable opponent to the AV-8B that we have in DCS.

3 Likes

I’m not a huge DCSer, but I am definitely looking forward to that as well. It’s a perfect scenario for a Battle of the Transonic Jets!

3 Likes

The recently updated C17 by Destroyer121 is really shaping up nicely…

There are still some things in the cockpit that need work, but it flies nicely, has some nice animations for the ramp and doors. It looks great too!

7 Likes

And we all know I have a weakness for vintage aircraft…

9 Likes

:wink:
I wish someone made an up to date model of the Tiger Moth…

3 Likes

I believe one is coming from the same developer that recently brought us the Drifter ultralight.

https://www.antsairplanes.com/

2 Likes

I see some people port Ants old Moth to MSFS. Would be great if he updated it!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I read that he is working on the Tiger next. Obviously, I’m going to have to have it in my hangar. :grin:

2 Likes

Obviously! :smile:

Who made that Bücker Jungmann?

Lionhearted Studios. Right now it is only available on the MSFS Marketplace.

1 Like

How does t handle? Such small wheels, narrow track and taildragger doesn’t sound like excellent handling in MSFS…?

The gear is very spongy, but evidently that is intentional. It flies nicely but has a tenancy to bounce on landing. It is a very simple airplane systems wise. The takeoff run is surprisingly benign.

I’m not sure I can wholeheartedly recommend it. The sounds are stock C172 evidently (although they sound ok)… the tail wheel can’t be locked because the dev hasn’t figured out how to make that work. Also, there are no niceties that these days we are used to, such as chocks, a tablet etc. I’m sure I will have fun with it though.

2 Likes