MSFS VR - Everything you NEED to know! | HP REVERB G2 & RIFT S

Well, I have the Oculus Rift, O+, Reverb G1, and Reverb G2. The Rift to O+ was an improvement. The O+ to the Reverb G1 was a big improvement. The G1 to G2 was a slight improvement. I feel the overall clarity is better and colors are better. The manual IPD adjustment probably brought things into better clarity for me and made the sweet spot feel better than the G1.

The only troubling thing I see is a fair amount of hardware failures with it…so I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop on mine. I was in the batch of G1 users that had problems…so it would not be surprising to me.

How’s the FOV in the G2 vs the O+?

Honestly…they all feel the same to me. I can’t really tell the difference. I think the only one that would probably blow me away with regards to FOV would be the Pimax, which I don’t own. All of them have a bit of that ski-goggle feel to them…which is fine. I’ve mentioned it before…but as a life-long glasses wearer, I feel that FOV doesn’t bother me as much given my life has been “framed” in large part since I was a kid. I also wear my headsets pretty loose to make sure I’m not pressing my glasses up against the lenses. I have a couple small scratches on my G1 where my glasses touched…so I’m trying very hard to keep my glasses gap big. Can’t wait for a new prescription in January so I can order the WidmoVR lenses…

1 Like

So it looks like OpenXR Developer Tools does not auto-update (or at least…it didn’t on my computer). I had installed it a month or so ago on @fearlessfrog’s recommendation when I was in the VR beta…so I might have been using an older version. Looks like my old version was set to Motion Reprojection OFF (as was the newly updated one)…so manually turned that on.

Not having much luck getting into VR. Everything is updated and the OpenXR thingy installed. Will maybe try with SteamVR runtime tomorrow. Does the WMR Theater applet need to run?

I had Mixed Reality Portal running…but not SteamVR. I launched into MSFS - selected a flight, then once I was in the cockpit hit CTRL-Z I think it was to activate VR. A few seconds later…I heard Mixed Reality Portal do its zoomy thing and I was in game with no Steam running…

So for me - having motion reprojection OFF in OpenXR gives me much better results in MSFS. I had it turned on…and I was getting…well…micro lags…pulsing at about once per 1.5 seconds or so. Turned reprojection OFF and went back to smooth. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Not sure if this has been posted already.

What it definitely does is making me wonder how much better I could get this VR thing working.
I am going to try a few things as I have been doing the quick and dirty approach so far.

1 Like

LOL
I am way more behind the curve than I thought.
It seems that I have disabled windows updates at some point so I am still at 1909, I have an old Oculus software version, no openXR, and a graphics driver from August. :smiley:

And still VR worked decently.
Updating everything now (except the graphics driver as everyone seems to recommend the old one I have).
Fingers crossed it will run better, and not worse. :grimacing:

Ok updated and installed everything I think.

Is it normal that the openXR demo application looks horribly distorted when using SteamVR with openXR?
Like a pincushion vs barrel distortion problem.

Very dim light bulb illuminates in the distant cloudy reaches of the chipwich cranium. At the time I tested this, I had had about 4 hours sleep in 48 hours helping my other company restore a downed Exchange server. We struggled for a few days juggling VMs, NAS boxes, DNS, blah blah blah, but finally prevailed. I actually slept 7.5 hours last night and feel much rejuvenated.

As another precaution, I uninstalled fpsVR. I’m assuming that it might not be OpenXR compatible, but that’s just a WAG. Attempting VR…

1 Like

I just had an excellent flight in the MB339 flying the Mach Loop in Wales. I have to say it was a significantly better experience than I was getting with XP11 and OrbX’s TE scenery in VR. There were a few stutters here and there, but overall a very smooth experience. The OpenXR slider was set to 60% and it really didn’t look bad at all (not tack sharp, but certainly sharp enough). The main issue I have now is how the prop discs look while reprojection is doing it’s thing. I think Asobo need to make a simple prop disc option for VR use.

1 Like

Good to hear @PaulRix. I’m not quite at the sightseeing stage, but sorted out my config and able to get off of the ground in VR.

Question for @fearlessfrog, after my first MSFS flight, on a whim I launched DCS without reverting in the OpenXR dev tool thingy back to SteamVR runtime. However, DCS did trigger SteamVR and ran fine. I’m wondering how having the OpenXR runtime selected affects SteamVR games?

I had a terrible experience using SteamVR using my Rift S, so I set the OpenXR registry key back to Oculus. Works better now, but I am still trying to figure out the proper settings for my rig.

It shouldn’t impact it, as it’s sort of like OpenGL vs DirectX and a different set of tech. I put a diagram here that sort of explains it - My VR Settings & Tips - #12 by fearlessfrog

On my aging machine in WMR I had no issues whatsoever from first flight. On a 1080 I experienced the single most immersive flight sim experience of my too many years chasing the immersion dream!

A few tweaks are required with mouse control. I would love to see something akin to how DCS manages this with a marriage between mouse and head movement. Either way I can map a lot of controls to the HOTAS to deal with fiddly controls for now…

Thanks Asobo! How am I meant to spend time with the family now over Christmas?!

6 Likes

Do what I did. Bought two more PCs… :rofl:

3 Likes

Exactly my (pretty much) only issue now with the MSFS 2020 VR goodness.

I believe it is down to the transparency of the prop disc. Try this mod to make it more transparent

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

(there is a Deluxe edition too)

It helps a bit, though still not perfect.

Once I have a minute, I will try to make a fully transparent prop disc and test it in VR. If it works, it could be activated / deactivated for VR only use as any other mod.

I will report back.

EDIT: OK, it works - getting rid of the prop disk removes the artifacts. The mod linked above works also well so there is probably no need to remove the prop disc completely. However, I have not managed to get the Deluxe Premium version work on my install :thinking:

2 Likes

Another video I just saw. It contains a few hints not mentioned yet:
https://youtu.be/8Hrp59hMR6k