Mudspike 4th Annual DCS Fall Fly-In

Oooh didn’t realise that! I think that will be just the thing I’m looking for. I’m not too bothered with clickable cockpits to be honest unless it’s the tomcat… I can’t wait to play with the switches on that.

But I do need a dogfighter. I enjoy nailing ground targets with the frogfoot but my heart is really air to air…

2 Likes

One of the charms (to me) for clickable pits is the startup procedure. In the MiG its very easy, but (to me) very zen-like fun; you flip all of the switches on the right cockpit wall (about 20 or so) after getting the ground crew to hook 'er up. Various things whirr softly and spool up as you do so. Then you flip six more on the other side and gently crank the engine. It’s not hard or terribly complicated, but every time it gets me grinning a big grin when the beastie comes to life and leaps into the sky ready to tear some bishes a new one with those three whopping big guns.

6 Likes

That’s the same for me dude. I really enjoy the procedures and feel of the startup in the a10c. Its incredible. Even the tf-51d gives me a warm feeling when it stutters and sparks into life. The thought of trying to follow mission objectives with live people giving instructions in the a10c makes me feel clammy and unwell lol.

Again the tomcat is something I could really get my teeth into as I WANT to learn it. But the MAC or fc3 f15 or f5e sound exactly the right sort of thing for me to use for a fun bit of aerial demolition… Plus it would be nice to understand Betty when she’s yelling sink rate or pull up in English instead of unintelligible Russian

5 Likes

You don’t own the hornet yet, do you? That would scratch all of your itches.

3 Likes

Ah man, you ain’t lying. The moan the engines make as they start cranking… Now we just need all the ambient background noises and 5MC announcements when on deck, and it’d be almost perfect.

3 Likes

Agreed. If I had to own only one DCS aircraft, it would be the Hornet. The cockpit and flight dynamics just feel so comfortable and natural. Like pulling on your favorite pair of jeans, denim shirt, and boots. Superb detail, which gets better with every release. Carrier ops, widest of all aircraft mission capabilities, no nasty habits, looks fantastic, forgiving, deadly in the right hands. Gets the stamp of approval from current and former Hornet crews. Still under development, but the slow trickle of technology has softened the learning curve.

4 Likes

Dogfighter? You want Bug, Fulcrum, or Eagle then. No offense to the heavies like the Kitty or Flanker, but you can’t really throw them around quite the same as the Bug.

1 Like

Hopping into the “Way Back Machine”…

USS GUAM was at sea doing flight ops when a friend of mine, one of the ships company Air Dept JOs in the tower (not the Air Boss) sees a young Fireman (the overall type of sailor, not the rate), obviously from Engineering (its in the Summer in the Med and he is pasty white) standing in the port side catwalk, kind of just looking at the flight deck activity.

My friend picks up the 5MC microphone and quietly whispers “Hey buddy”

The kid happens to be standing near a 5MC speaker. He looks around. My friend say, “Yeah, you in the white T-shirt” (The sailor has doffed his chambray working uniform shirt - its hot in the main spaces)

The kid walks over to the speaker. My friend says, “Just a little bit closer”

The sailor leans in with an ear near the speaker.

My friend yells, “GET OFF THE FLIGHT DECK!!!”

The poor Fireman practically left out of his skin and then disappeared from the catwalk with amazing rapidity.

My friend told the story that night while we were at dinner…bug juice just about came out my nose. :laughing:

4 Likes

We’ll be flying release version yeah? Downgrading to that now…

What time (Zulu) will we (or most of us) be flying? I live in zulu+1 and have parental duties during the day.

Stick with the Open Beta.

3 Likes

Lol ok, re-upgrading it again.

1 Like

Just a heads up for some folks, the mission can take a few minutes to load; it’s not DCS crashing, just needs time due to the quantity of units.

Shockingly enough it’s actually all the briefing images.

1 Like
2 Likes

Did we stabilize on the latest open beta build?

Thanks.

Fridge’s server seems to be from when I joined it earlier.

1 Like

I am stuck at work for a few more hours. Let me know if there is an issue with the server and i can restart it remotely. @near_blind, i can also start up your mission if you want.

Don’t worry about it. I went out and picked up an cheapo 10 series card for my server so I could get some sweet sweet driver updates. It seems to be working much better than last night, so I’ll keep it up as an alternate.

3 Likes

I had a quick look at the log and the server wasn’t happy being paused for so long. The first person to join the mission ended up having to wait for all the Moose initialization stuff I have in there to complete (not that long in and of itself) but there were a ton of DX Error messages that were unexpected. I will take a look tomorrow but it may be necessary for me to join the server and then leave it to auto-pause as the Moose stuff will get done first. Odd though.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mudspike 4th Annual DCS Fall Fly-In Server and AAR Thread