Mudspike Air Cargo

LOL…you’re close!! This clue might pin it down:

Hmm, no idea then. Been reading through wiki articles to see if I can find another hint in this exciting reveal! :wink:

Christen Super Eagle II

3 Likes

MIG-25!!!

1 Like

CARGO-526

Hmm, delicious high by-pass engines laid bare from the competitor! :wink:

Right, so we know it’s a big metal tube now, that much is certain. Let’s see, the JT-9D was a competitor to the CF-6-50 engine type. Presuming you are picking a civi liner. I am 90% sure the little hint is the Mc Donnell Douglas logo. Given that a three engine aircraft was pretty damn close that leaves only one viable option. the venerable DC-10-40 must have been acquired for MAC!

3 Likes

Yay…!! MAC hasn’t quite acquired it…but it will be getting a refurb while we build up to it…!

More pics later…thanks for playing my mystery-airplane game…LOL…

4 Likes

Nice choice :+1:. The revised L1011 is tugging on my heart strings as well.

So I hopped on the plane my broker showed up in - he’s single pilot typed, so he let me ride in the back and didn’t tell me where we were headed…

I like his Citation II though - despite all the technical errors…

It isn’t a very practical cargo hauler though…so it never made my short list for my next aircraft…

Soon I spy the unmistakable sight of Rainier sliding down the left side of the aircraft…and know we are headed toward Seattle…

Some low scud. Makes me want to be up front driving…

I love the pop-up instruments in the Carenado products…

Looks like Boeing Field (KBFI)…

On the reversers and speedbrakes…

Taxiing onto the ramp - I’m wondering what this mystery ride is all about…

A car comes around and picks us up…as we round the corner - I see it. My broker just grins and nods.

“I bought it…well, technically have a deposit on it. We are going with the crew to ferry it over to Jackson Hole where I’m having some work done on it. Being a cargo guy, I knew this would be your ultimate aspiration someday. Maybe if you can build MAC up fast enough, you can take it off my hands once I have it listed…”

We climb onboard. Old school for sure…but man, look at all that space…it is beautiful…!

Man, I could fit a lot of shrimp and DVDs through that cargo door!

Thankfully, the aircraft is the JustSim/CaptainSim F-Lite series…which means it’s somewhat simplified. It only takes me ten minutes of looking around to figure out some switches and we are fired up…

It’s soooooo huge…!

Lined up and ready to go. I think I have all the flight director settings right…I dunno…

She’s light - with only 50% fuel and no cargo…so performance is through the roof…

Climbing out to the east…trying to figure out the auto-throttle…

We stay pretty low - FL230 on the one hour flight over to Jackson Hole…

Coming into the 80 mile range from the airport…I try to figure out the flap schedule. There is a convenient gauge that helps, but I’m not sure how much you are supposed to rely on it…

Turning final for the ILS into Jackson Hole - not a place to screw around, but the weather is good…

I never am able to lock on to the ILS - some setting was wrong I guess…so we just shoot the visual in…

Vref according to the lite FMC is around 143 knots…

She is fun to fly…lumbering…and such a high eye view-point…!

To the gate we go…the Delta 757 is gonna have to be careful during his pushback…

What a fun and gorgeous airplane. MAC will have to grow significantly before we could ever think of financing something like a DC-10…

4 Likes

Brother Bill and I would love to come over to the airport and check out the DC-10, but we are sort-of busy.

2 Likes

I feel betrayed @BeachAV8R, it’s not a 10-40! It’s either a 10-10 or 10-30!! So not a PW but GE engine! Big difference! :wink:

Login required

When in Jackson Hole…

1 Like

You sure? I would say Just Flight / Comercial Level Sims F-Lite series.

And in that case I need to mention that I also own this beauty :slight_smile:

LOL…well, it might be a 10-40 with a World Cargo livery…because a 10-40 is what I bought:

Actually, now that I read the title…it is a DC-10 10 THRU 40 not DC-10-40…so there ARE several variants in the package… :thinking:

That’s correct. I sometimes get my CLS and CS modules mixed up…

1 Like

CARGO-527

2 Likes

It’s a CF 6-50 then! I can highly commend you on your choice of engine! Thank you for flying GE! :wink:

1 Like

So, there’s only one way to get to bigger aircraft. I’ve tested a bunch…now I just gotta earn the money. So back to work we go!

I’ve taken quite the vacation from Air Hauler…the only penalty is aircraft base rents, but I’m more interested in my “REP” than I am my bottom line at the moment. I’m still working toward the coveted 40% REP level where I will be able to stroll down to the bank and take out a loan for a bigger aircraft.

Wow…my last revenue flight was three months ago!!

CARGO-529

The thought of moving ice through Idaho in the middle of winter…is funny…but there ya’ go…

Wow…so seasonal conditions have changed quite a bit at our home base (Longview Ranch)…brrrr…!

It is a dreary day with a layer at around 8,000’ or so - climbing out of the valley toward Barton Lake Ranch (OR08)…

Once I got up to cruise, I settled in…then about ten minutes later, I noticed the engine running rough. I leaned it out, but that wasn’t it. I was whisping in and out of the clouds…and apparently I was picking up ice. Even though the 185F is fuel injected, I guess it IS possible the induction system could get ice. Anyway, I gradually lost airspeed and power, clicked off the autopilot, and drifted down under the bases…sort of squeezed between cloud and rock at some points.

Once below the clouds, the engine resumed its healthy purr…but that sort of brought me back to nightmares of 25 years ago when I was flying single engine freight around NC/SC/VA/WV in the winter…ugh… After fifteen more minutes, we are out of the mountains and into the plains north of Malheur Lake - which ORBX has conveniently frozen up for us in the winter months.

Tough to pick out the dirt runways with so little contrast until you get to a vantage point where you are looking down the length of them…

On and in…another few fractions of REP and $5,845 in the bank…

3 Likes

A MUCH nicer day to fly around eastern Oregon. Trying to get in two Sorties For Forties…(I made that up all on my own…I’m available Hallmark)…

2 Likes

VORs - for when you absolutely, positively don’t want to run into the side of Mt. Hood in solid IMC…

CARGO-541

PS - I found out that the “H” carb heat works for icing in the Carenado 185F even though it is a fuel injected engine. I’m just gonna go with it though… :wink:

1 Like

Yay…! Broke out the side of the cloud layer just south of Mt. Hood. I was going to be forced into the option of shooting an IFR approach at one field, breaking out, and hopefully having enough ceiling to go to my VFR-only destination. Now I think I’m good…(at least until Active Sky updates the weather!)…

2 Likes