Mudspike AMA with Eagle Dynamics Senior Producer Matt Wagner

Just point the nose down as far as it will go, firewall the throttle, and release when you see nothing but ground. Works every time!

5 Likes

I found my people! :heart:

6 Likes

When in doubt, release more ordnance

11 Likes

This might help. :wink: :face_with_monocle:

Wheels

3 Likes

What? Three times altitude doesn’t fit…?

1 Like

I can see now I’m going to have to go with quantity over quality…

9 Likes

Quantity has a quality all of its own…

7 Likes

@BeachAV8R the F-4E AUP (peace icarus) has an F-16 HUD and MFDs. Can do CCIP, shoot AMRAAM, all the fun things 4th gen jets do, just in an old phantom package.

10 Likes

Actually, I think I heard in some pilot interview that the Phantom was really nice and easy to get back on board. The J79 was quick to react and adjusting throttle would adjust glide slope instantly. The more powerful RR Spey turbofan of the British Phantoms apparently lost this quality. Useless trivia of the day :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Swoon…

2 Likes

“For now, we already have another aircraft (an eagerly awaited one) to work on after the Viper.”

Just saying I don’t think he’s referring to the Mosquito here. F-111 confirmed.

2 Likes

I am really torn on the Phantom. The F-4S would be the purest fighter and of course it has carrier ops for it, which I really, really enjoy. It also has a RIO instead of a WSO and is conceptually very similar to the Tomcat, so Heatblur would be in a perfect position to do it. Downside is that the Navy Phantoms have only a secondary attack role (with dumb bombs). Also no gun.

The F-4E (late) is primary a fighter-bomber with a secondary fighter capability, with some really cool mission and weapons. Lots of variety, but all in limited, vintage manual style. SEAD with Shrike, LGBs with Pave Spike targeting pod (held on target by hand), hand-flown GBU-15 glide-bombs, the original TV Mavericks and of course manual bombing with tons of bombs. All great fun, garnished with dogfights using crappy AIM-7E Sparrows, rear-aspect AIM-9P Sidewinders and a gun.

Originally Belsimtek was doing the late F-4E, but who knows if anything of this is still valid.

Can I have both? Can anybody tell that I think the Phantom would be ultimate fun, game-play king of the hill, module to end all modules of DCS? It may not be the best but it might well the the most fun.

5 Likes

Mine too… a bit.

What @klarsnow said, which I confess that I had to look up. I’m mostly familiar with the E that our USAF used. I remember when dad got checked out in it at Seymour, he liked the gun but complained about the slats and not being as fast as the C & D. But later he grew to love it. In his last trip to Ubon in ‘72 they had Pave Knife or Spike. They would fly a two ship with one a/c designating and the other carrying MK82 or 84s with guidance kits on them. This was a bad time for truck parks and gun pits.

5 Likes

Apache

3 Likes

Wow, yeah! I’d love to have that phantom in DCS.

1 Like

That would be so much fun. PFZs, LOAL/LOBL, I wonder if they could do a monocle in VR (?). I would bet Longbow 2 is in the top five of most time played in a sim for me…

4 Likes

I’d love it, but that’s deep in Longbow territory. I’d already be extremely happy with an AH-64A. But a late 90’s block II or even a block III longbow would be extremely sweet!

As for the Phantom, I sincerely hope if they ever do decide to make one (beside the now MIA slatted F-4E) that they do the airframe justice and give us both a navy and air force variant. I’d buy both!

3 Likes

Grasping at straws but Block II is a mid-'00s timeframe, Block I held the line in most units from about '99 to 2006. Block III/E starting around '12, really into swing by '15. The last AH-64As were retired in '12 and they had a lot of stuff from the Block II slapped on.

But all the little fiddly bits of the Longbow make it pretty difficult to capture vs AH-64A, so I’d much rather have an AH-64A first. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

dang did I say block? I ment Lot :joy: always felt the later variants had to much classified stuff on them.

3 Likes