Mudspike DiRT Rally 2.0 - February 2024 Championship [COMPLETE]

A 2-event Championship for February has been created.

1. Värmland, Sweden
    1. Monte Carlo, Monaco

Each Rally:
3 stages
7 days duration

Sweden: Starts at 1200 UTC - 17 February (ends 24 February at 1159 UTC)
Monaco: Starts at 1200UTC - 24 February

Car Classes
Sweden: H3 RWD
Moncao: H2 RWD

Expect snow, ice, sunset/dusk lighting, and a lot of sliding around with these rear wheel drive cars!

The championship concludes on 2 March 2024 at 1200 UTC.

:checkered_flag: :racing_car:

If you are not part of the Mudspike DiRT Rally 2.0 club, see this post about joining!

6 Likes

Thanks Chaz. We really appreciate you organizing these. I’m on a biz trip until Sat, but really looking forward to driving both of these iconic rallies. I wish that DR2 had the detail that WRC has for the stages. I was afraid that VR wouldn’t be a high priority.

2 Likes

Yeah, be careful what you wish for Harry… But I’m in.

1 Like

Oh man, I didn’t bother to look at the car class. Monaco should be interesting :grimacing:

2 Likes

Just hooked the wheel back up. This should be fun!

2 Likes

Here’s a preview from our third stage at Sweden. :cold_face: :grimacing:

4 Likes

That doesn’t look like near enough sliding to me :rofl:. It just looked fast. Nice cockpit btw.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m jealous.

I think I need a new wheel after seeing how smooth that is. Mine is just ‘slop’ between 11 and 1 o’clock so even on the straights I’m sawing away like a demented woodcutter.

2 Likes

Sweden Stage 1… meh. Got a bit right foot heavy and rolled it. :roll_eyes::rofl: Lost 15 seconds off my personal best, but luckily didn’t accrue a time penalty. Stages 2 and 3 were status quo and felt good. RWD rally in the snow ain’t no joke!

1 Like

Well I have managed to squeeze in the first stage between chores. Probably not the best choice for Sweden…everyone else seems to have opted for ‘more modern’ turbo cars :thinking:

But a sentimental favourite even if it is a giant pendulum:

4 Likes

Stage 1 and 2 were my normal. Dang snow really kept trying to eat my car.

Stage 3, well not so good…Hit a bridge, rolled the car…

6 Likes

The Stratos was a very close runner up for my choice of cars… But I have sat in one for real & I don’t fit! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I plumped for the Renault 5 turbo, I like the Stratos, but in the snow it’s like the back wheels are on casters. :rofl:

Stage 1 was ok, I drove a bit conservatively and was surprised to be inside Chaz’s time, assuming he’d had a problem.

Stage 2, I got oversteered and wedged in between a narrow stretch, losing time.

Stage 3, I left a lot on the table, particularly on the latter part of the “flat” stage.

Looking forward to the next one.

5 Likes

PSA: Of of this post, just over 19 hours remain for Rally Sweden.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder Chaz, and thanks for organising these.

Went into Rally Sweden without any practice and it has been that long, it might as well be the first time I have driven these stages, so not totally disappointed with the time and I finished in one piece.

4 Likes

Monte Carlo is live for 7 days

Just laid down my times as I’m expecting busy week on the road next week. Chose the Renault A110 1600 S as my ride. The challenge lies in Stage 2 and parts of 3 during the transition from snow/ice to dry and back. Made a mistake during Stage 2 and spun it 360*. But I really had a blast carving and sliding my way through the mountainside.

5 Likes

I was due for a bad rally and certainly had one at Sweden. Trips through the woods on stages 1 and 3, and a flip in to my roof requiring assistance on stage 2 were the highlights. I wanted to drive the Renault, but had a number of front end swaps in testing, so went back to the Stratos. It seemed pretty stable, but wasn’t tolerant when I tried pushing. Well done Chaz and keets. You two certainly have the measure of driving in the fluffy stuff.

Did anyone like me, feel that there was more traction when it was snowing than when not?

5 Likes

I’l bet you’re still further up the ladder than me :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah Chaz and keets gave the rest of us a driving lesson for sure. Two minutes between them and the ‘pack’ last I looked.

Biggest problem I had with the 240Z was it would start to fishtail at high speed on the straights… but that could be an issue with my wheel?

3 Likes

Could be, also maybe something that changing the toe-in and camber on the rear could have helped.

I perceived grip changed during the stages as Chipwich said. It wasn’t anything concrete just a feel that the car was easier to get ahead of, rather than feeling of hanging on and hoping she stays on the Island.

4 Likes

lol. after checking the tyres, I might adjust the brake bias to 50:50 (or slightly rear bias)… Other than that, I just jump in and drive it like I stole it :slight_smile:

3 Likes