Mudspike Discord Returns

Hi FF. Yes, please kill that account and I’ll try again. Is there an evergreen invite link? I can join the server with that.

We didn’t post one, as using the forum ‘user level 1’ (insert ‘I am not a number!’) thingy gives us less heartache for bots and spam, as only forum members who are signed in can see it. The megaphone Join thing is a bit clumsy, but it helps with that.

I’ll nuke that other Discord account you created, so please do retry.

@guod just click the join thing on the microphone, then copy the link of the page that pops up as your invite link for the app. Or at least that’s how i managed it.

3 Likes

Thanks to those that joined already.

Remember, you don’t have to join Discord if you just want to peek what’s happening then click the ‘chat’ icon up top. So far seems a good way for ‘pickup games’ and just chewing the cud. :mudspike:

Thank you for listening @discobot! This is a bold move and another great service to your human Mudspike users.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot discord dude

@discobot display help

Wheels

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

1 Like

@discobot how is the progression of the doomsday machine?
@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: It is certain

1 Like

@discobot start advanced user

@discobot meet Alexa

We have some issues with alexa at home … mainly because its my middle daughters name, but at least the amazon alexa mostly does what you ask … :grin:

5 Likes

So it’s been a month and I would like to gather some feedback on how Discord is helping or interfering with the Mudspike members. Anyone have suggestions for improvement?

Some points from me:

1. I have not seen much movement of discussions form the forums to Discord. Granted, it has only been a month and the Tomcat has been the dominant discussion item :slight_smile:;
  2. Forum notifications in the Discord channels - It seems like the forumbot is the only one using those Discord channels. It seems to me like those post notifications might do better in their own channel?
1 Like

I don’t think all the extra chat channels are necessary. Having the “general” and “announcements” is adequate. Voice channels look OK. I don’t think the forum notifications by the bot is necessary.

I can only speak for myself but I tend to use Discord more informally, where rapid back and forth is expected. The forums are for more structured exchange of information as opposed to quick banter. I also tend to keep toward the HP channel because I don’t want to seem like I’m hogging the Mudspike one.

2 Likes

The forum post notifications in those chat channels were just an idea so that when new topics appear here then it would notify (in the various category, if it was a flat list it could be a bit noisy) that something new was to read.

The Discord desktop app is often left running on mobile/desktop computers, and people could then decide on their own notification settings for our ‘server’. It was meant more to just be a way for forum topics to be notified ‘over there’ rather than chatted about.

They are fairly easy to ignore, and I used them rather than leaving a browser tab open all the time, but if they bug people then we could remove them.

I am glad it is there. But obviously I have been using it incorrectly. I have “sat” in the lobby for hours waiting for a flight sim equivalent of a Tinder hookup. Mudspikers coordinate online flying somehow, but Discord does not seem to be the place where that happens. The part of the service I don’t use is the mirroring of posts from this forum. To me Discord is a clumsy and redundant way to browse threads. My hope for discord is that it will be something like the old Hyperlobby. After all these years nothing has topped that simple and free application for bringing players together.

4 Likes

I think part of the issue is we’re spread across a lot of time zones and not all of us are available for playing, even if we’re signed into Discord. I keep Discord on as I work, breaking every now and again to blab about something minor, then I’ll usually check about 1800-2000 my time (GMT-6) to see if anyone is on. Those you do see on are usually just “Playing DCS World” and that’s the extent of it – it could be single player or it could be any number of servers. Hyperlobby was integrated together, so you saw all the people, the servers, and who were in them.

I don’t tend to do random multiplayer because of my hearing problem which makes it difficult to coordinate with strangers, even with SRS, and I have a generally weaker system so I can’t handle the massive multiplayer games that some servers run. As a result, I tend to stick with Hollo Pointe and the people that go there if I want to do multiplayer.

3 Likes

I did meet Highwayman on Discord. We used it as the ICS between us as pilot and RIO. Fun but I had no idea what I was doing at the time.

3 Likes