TLDR: Discord is back.
How to Join:
Once logged in to the forums, you can use the ‘bull horn loudspeaker’ icon at the top the page to show the #general chat channel in a live view.
Note: If you post a message to the channel via the web, it does it via a bot, so it is usually best to hit ‘Join’ and go to Discord direct. You can also use the menu in the Chat widget to see the other channels and who is around online.;
After some discussions amongst the Mudspike membership and staff we have decided to give Discord another go. There are a number of positive benefits that, we feel, can make the community into a more efficient collaboration space while encouraging growth in the core of the community. It may not work out in the end but we feel the need to try and approach new ideas even when they may not have worked out in the past.
Some of this comes from discussion in the forums with community members, some comes from the dissolution of the official Teamspeak service that we offered, and some comes the realization that the forums were not the best place for some of the discussions that are happening. To that end we want to establish Discord as the location where people can casually chat and discuss what is important to them in the moment and also allow organic organization of their multiplayer gaming.
This Discord server is intended to capture the Mudspike community conversations and activities that sometimes do not fit the traditional model of ‘the forums’. We see the Mudspike website as a place for articles, the Mudspike forums as a place for information collection, AARs, and long-term, slow burn discussions, and the Mudspike Discord ‘channel’ as a place for the rapid-fire chat, casual community engagement and multiplayer activities. We hope that this model fits with the perceptions of the community but if you have suggestions, concerns, or recommendations please let us know in the Meta Forum or via PM in the forums.
As our normal operating procedure, we are working to keep Mudspike independent and positive while allowing as much freedom as we can. The rules for the new Mudspike Discord channel will be ‘more relaxed’ but there are some things that will stay the same. We think that the rules we need to operate under fit the goals of Mudspike: to provide a positive place for people who enjoy simulation based gaming based on mutual respect. Those rules are:
- Respect each other even if/when you find disagreement;
- No NSFW content (nudity, violence, politics, racism, intolerance. religion, etc);
- No humor … just kidding, but please remember that you can not hide breaking rules 1 & 2 by pretending it’s covered under humor;
To that end we would like to encourage any member of the community that feels that they would be able to achieve that balance and wishes to help us out in keeping the Mudspike forums and Discord a positive place for community conversation and collaboration to contact us via Forum PM (@staff).
As noted above, if you have questions, concerns or suggestions, please let us know. Mudspike is not a commercial enterprise but a community driven site that wants to give an online home to its members and as such we want to make sure that we are meeting or exceeding those goals.
PS: For members of the FridgesHotPotato Discord channel (the old Mudspike Discord channel), please jump over to the new channel as that one will go away.
Chat & Stuff Group - This channel group collects the regular conversation channels for the Mudspike Discord and is unrelated to the categories that we have in the Mudspike Forums. If you feel that there is a channel that would be useful to the community, please let us know and we will add it.
- General - This channel collects the mental energies of the Mudspike Community - if we can find a bot to harness that positive pool of power, we will rule the world. This is for all of your random thoughts, feels and emos and it is probably not ADHD safe.
- Announcements - Use this channel to broadcast or advertise your multiplayer sessions, group meet-up times, and/or other events that you would like to open up to the community at large;
Forum Group - These channels are intended to pull and collect casual chat related threads and topics from the Mudspike Forums. There is a bot attached to these channels that will alert you to new threads that have been started in the Forums.
- Hangar-Flying - Discussing post from the Hangar Flying forum: our general chat forum but, please, no NSFW or politics/religion stuff. Link;
- Flight Sims - For conversations centered around Flight Sims.: if it’s on a computer and looks vaguely like Flight. Link;
- Screens-and-AARs - For discussion of screenshots and AARs from the Mudspike Forums. Link;
- Hardware-and-Tech-Questions - PC, peripherals, flight sim gear, head-tracking, VR headsets, graphics and components related topics and news. If it’s made of black plastic, put it in here. Link;
- Meta - Discussion about the Mudspike site, this Discord and its organization, how it works, and how we can improve it. Link;
- Gaming - For all things Gaming. Mobile, Console, you name it - if it’s not covered by another category then go for it! Link;
- Space - Space Sims! Sci-Fi! Space News! Let’s put them all in here in this special space. Link;
- Articles - The place to discuss the Mudspike articles, plus somewhere to suggest what you want to see next! Link;
We are starting with a limited set of voice channels, not for any reason other than to limit complexity and confusion. If you see the need for an additional channel of three (maybe a dedicated game channel) please let the @staff know and we will convene a committee, take copious notes, vote ourselves retro-active pay raises and get it done.
- Lobby - Organize your gaming sessions here or just hang around and chat;
- Flight-Ops - Engaged in a Flight Sim multiplayer session? Want to talk to others as you fly single player? Want to discussion how some complex system works? This is your spot;
- Ground-Ops - Engaged in a tactical ground pounding session? Want to talk to others as you gib nubs and waste randos? Want to … discuss campfire or sentry protocol (I don’t know either)? This is your spot;
- Space-Ops - Lost in the great Expanse, out of fuel and feel the need to cry out into the void? Want to talk to others as you fly single slot into the 'Verse? Want to watch the latest rocket launch on the 'net and discuss it with the group (okay, that is definitely an edge case)? This is your spot;
- Driving-Ops - Track Day, Mud-Runner weather, Farming Simulator? You go here;
We are, none of us, pigeons and it seems like an artificial separation of members into silos but it allows some control to assign permissions.
Staff - Administrators of the Mudspike Website, Forum and Discord channels;
Flight Crew - Verified members of the Mudspike membership who play an important role in the community;
Everyone - The valued members of the Mudspike community;