Mudspike excrement happens thread

I could find nowhere suitable to post this so I figured start a new thread because sh÷t happens to us all.
Last Friday I was at work and my wife phoned to say we had water pouring into the upstairs bedrooms. I rushed home to find both her and my son had to put pans and bowls down to catch the drips.
Storm Arwen had hit and the 100 mph winds had driven the rain through the underneath of the slates.
The electricity went off at the same time and as a consequence the Internet and mobile phone signals went too.
I slept that first night avoiding drips in the damp room and also the Saturday night with no light or heating.
We eventually went to stay at the pub cottage as they had power by Sunday and spent the next 4 days there too.
On the plus side we got power back Thursday afternoon and started drying stuff out as vest we could. I also spent the time emptying the loft as best I could.
I have set my pc back up now and everything seems to be working.
But in case anyone was wondering where I was now you know.
With the Internet down I was also unable to make my penultimate exam so I have 2 crammed together tomorrow with zero preparation.
Sometimes life just sucks

14 Likes

Ouch mate. I hope the exams work out and the water damage is not too bad.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that mate. Arwen was a total pain the whole length of the country. Hope you can return to some normality soon pal

2 Likes

Been through something a bit similar myself. After a while you will look back and laugh! Cheers.

2 Likes

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Wheels

1 Like

Darn!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SickAdventurousHarvestmouse-mobile.mp4

Hope it works out @Cib.

2 Likes

Two questions:
One, you were at work while the storm was hitting??? They weren’t closed, or do you have one of those critical “never close” jobs?

Two, they named it Arwen??? Did the waves of water look like horses?

2 Likes

I was finishing service at the restaurant in the pub opposite my house. I have a 10 yard commute :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

On the plus side we have 2x industrial dehumidifiers running, it looks like I have added a turbofan to my simpit :grin:

6 Likes

Nice! bet that sounds like an APU when it’s running.

2 Likes

Atomic batteries to power! Turbine to speed!

1 Like

When it rains it pours. I had a refrigerator die on the 1st. Of course, this has to happen during a crisis in the supply chain. That day we go to Home Depot thinking we’ll return with a new one. ‘’Nope, sorry the ones on the floor are for show only and there’s none in the back either’’ 4 hours cleaning up that mess and $600 in groceries that were bought 2 days prior wasted because we were told it would arrive on the 3rd. Nope, it took 8 days for it to be delivered to the store then to the house.

3 Likes

That sucks. My washing machine sounds like its on its last legs. The centrifuge part of the cycle sounds very rough, and every time I fear it might go up in flames from sheer friction heat. Now I might take it apart and try to replace the bearings, but I don’t have infinite time, I have limited skills, no experience on those machines and the thing needs to operate at least four times a week. So I’m looking to replacing it. I might try fixing it before I toss it though, bring it to a ‘weggeefwinkel’ if I can get it fixed.

‘weggeefwinkel’ translates literally to ‘giving-away store’. It’s a place to offer up stuff that is too good to go to people who might want/need it.

6 Likes

Both printers decided to go out at the same time. One, an HP Design Jet 120, we use mainly for size D architectural drawings and the other one, an HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g Model: CM750A, for everything else. Seems like both print heads decided to go belly up on the same day.

Was looking at the reviews on Amazon for printers of similar capabilities to replace the 8600 and all of the companies are getting terrible reviews for their products for the last year.

Wheels

3 Likes

Front load or top load? A top load machine is an extremely simple system that is pretty hard to screw up a repair on. Just MAKE SURE you hook the water level sensor tube back up when you put the tub back in. It’s a small tube so it takes a while to drain a lot of water…

Also I’d recommend pulling the washer into a room with some space. Getting the outer body off in the laundry room can be a bit tricky if it’s your first time.

1 Like

My blood pressure rises when someone even says the word printer.

There are not many things I truly hate, but printers are among them. I hate their ink-stained metal guts.

My dad always says “IT would be so great if there weren’t any users or printers”.

5 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

Printers and washing machines have built in parts that break after a certain time. Built in to ensure future sales. Its a rip off but I read something a while back saying government in UK anyway was looking at forcing companies to abandon the practice. Sorry if my post sounds like a conspiracy theory :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Are you sure it is the bearings? Could be just the dampers and then it’s a quick fix. Bearings is a PITA. Changing the bearings themselves isn’t that bad, you just have to take care you don’t ruin the new set when seating them. Getting to the bearings though, and getting the bucket water tight after reassembly, that can be painful. There’s some good vids on youtube though, if you’re inclined.

1 Like

Yeah I opened up the thing a bit today, have a look. Dampeners and shocks are all ok. The drum feels rough when turning it. But getting to those bearings is a full-on biotch. The machine is getting replaced, and I’ll haul the old one off to my workshop where I have the space, tools and peace to take it completely apart.

1 Like