Mudspike New York - San Francisco Air Mail Trek - 2020

Totally missed the actual flight path of this trek, but I’m still resigned to hit San Fran.

This evening going from Burke Lakefront in Cleveland to DuPage just west of Chicago. My clients do not like large airfields.

Looped back around and heading West. Will be staying under the clouds this time.

Skimming over the top of Lake Erie

This might be Michigan City, couldn’t tell Just trying to follow the highway.

Here’s Chicago. DuPage should be due west from downtown

Passing by old Meigs

The plan was to follow the river walk to 64 which would take me to DuPage. They wanted to test me I guess, so I gave them a good show!

DuPage in the far distance, O’Hare at 2’oclock

Approach was terrible, but I’m not getting paid to pass a checkride. Just get there!

Tucked in for the night.

I’m a little concerned these guys aren’t who they said they are. I overheard plans for the next leg to be Fort Dodge in Iowa. Why would guys I met in Jail want to land at a military facility??

7 Likes

You are definitely driving it like you stole it… :rofl:

4 Likes

I think there may be something to that…

…you may not want to look in the cargo holds too closely…

5 Likes

I still need to write up the report, but a few days ago I pushed on to Offut AFB, Omaha Nebraska. Not much to report other than navigation was a bit more challenging due to a lack of prominent landmarks… I’m firmly in the flat part of the country now. That won’t change until I get to the Rockies. Progress has been a little slow on this trek for me, thanks to a couple of major distractions (Condor 2 and the Just Flight Vulcan…and more Condor 2 :dizzy_face:. I’ll get there eventually though.

2 Likes

Currently generating the ortho terrain down to Iowa City, I should hopefully be able to make it from Bellefonte to at least Chicago this evening.

2 Likes

Entertaining reading as always @Sine_Nomine! Did you see the big airship hangars at Akron?

1 Like

First wing walker in a trip report if I’m not mistaken. :smiley:

6 Likes

Should be a badge…

3 Likes

Take of time: 0818, we have a 20 minute layover in Bellefonte to handle and mail exchanges, then off to Cleveland.

I took the Alabeo Waco for this leg. The Waco has similar performance in terms of speed, altitude, and range to the Boeing Model 40, without the annoying wandering nose. So while real world it would carry less cargo, for our purposes here it works out perfectly.

The weather was good, some precipitation to start with that cleared. The plan was simple, fly 293 or slightly N of that will we hit lake Eerie and then follow the coast south to the airfield.

Overall the trip was pretty uneventful (which is good), and with a great lake as the major nav feature, there really wasn’t anything to worry about. My only real question, is the Mosquito Creek reservoir supposed to be a bright green?

Landed in Cleveland at 10:48, two and half hours.

Exactly on airmail schedule. Next up is Bryan Ohio which is schedule for 1:05 flight time.

4 Likes

This is like reading an old Biggles book! :salute:

2 Likes

That was a highly entertaining read! Your AAR’s just get better and better CP! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have to admit I have been dragging my heels on this trek. What with being completely distracted by Condor 2, then I had recurrent training last week. Then I got home from that and the Super Carrier is out, but I ended up flying a 500km flight in Condor last night. I’ll get back to it though. The route will get a lot more interesting once I get to the Rockies… Nebraska is kind of flat.

1 Like

Nice one Cygon_Parrot !
Is anyone counting how many firsts you have on these Mudspike trips?
From what I remember :

• first sailboat
  • first sailplane
  • first wingwalker
  • first airship

Did I miss anything ? :slight_smile:

I didn’t post lately, but I didn’t abandon this epic trip. And with the rebirth of Mudspike hauling I decided to earn some money along the route.

Here I am circumnavigating around the places without orthos. So it is from Chicago to Kansas City

In Kansas I got an offer to haul some guys to the West so I took the opportunity. Found some cheap 206 for rent and off we went

3 Likes

Umm first obrital return?

2 Likes

‘Working’ towards San Fran

Almost there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Found a job to Rock Springs, so back on track. Nice terrain finally. Njoyed the flight and made some virtual money.

KBFF waiting for the Wyoming ortho to finish texture conversion :slight_smile:

Did it look this good even before Vulkan!?

Passing Rawlins…

…descending to Rock Springs

3 Likes

I think I need to put Air Hauler to one side and get this trek knocked out. It will bug me no end if I don’t finish it.

1 Like

Salt Lake City area was great place for flying

I almost missed this little spot called Skypark KBTF. Hidden in the city, nice place

5 Likes

Challenge accepted

2 Likes

@Sine_Nomine has you beat, I believe it was the 2018 MS Xmas trek where he pulled that one off.

2 Likes