MudSpike Website Christmas Lights

Just for laughs I just checked, from my ‘home airport’ EDSB you have 200km or less distance to the national borders of

• France
  • Switzerland
  • Austria
  • Liechtenstein*
  • Luxembourg
  • Belgium

And if you add 70 more kilometers you can add the Netherlands and Italy* to the list.

Fun fact: the countries marked with a * don’t even share a border with Germany.

I hope that I can find the time during the Holidays for a little flight that I prepared. It will be mind-blowing for non-europeans.

6 Likes

Totally agree!

And, in a totally different spectrum: Love Actually… I need to be slightly inebriated to watch it, but tha makes it a really soothing Christmas movie! :wink:

3 Likes

it blows people’s minds also here, but because they consider it too long distance :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So 120 miles (~200 km) from my doorstep as the crow flies can put me at the town of West, which is famous for its Czech baked goods. I have made that drive before solely for pastries. In that 120 miles I will have crossed only 3 county lines, and that’s going across the counties them the short way. I will have passed basically 2 metro areas (Temple and Waco) to get there.

A bit to the N of West is the Dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex. It stretches approximately 60 miles across East to West as a single urban area. It’s crazy to consider that all these towns existed long before automobiles and airplanes, that’s a lot of distance to cover on horse back.

5 Likes

I should have done that as a kid. My birthday is in February - proper winter where the snow has piled up for some time. Of course the most logical, Canadian thing to do would be to rent a rink and play hockey! - Most of my friends couldn’t even skate though, so that never happened.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that West was famous for baked goods… I always associate it with the massive explosion they had there several years ago.

2 Likes

Between Canberra and the Coastal town of Bateman’s Bay is the King’s Hwy. Along the way are two towns that have existed since Colonial Days - Bungendore and Braidwood.

The reason that Canberra to Bungendore, Bungendore to Braidwood, Braidwood to Bateman’s Bay are all almost exactly 50km (30 miles) apart is because that was the distance that could be covered by a Cobb & Co stagecoach before they needed to change horses. A journey that would typically take two days.

These days Bateman’s Bay is a popular ‘day trip’ for Canberra residents, some of whom have been known to make the drive simply for a (fresh) seafood lunch, and spend more time getting there and back than sitting on shoreline and scoffing down a big serve of fish and chips.

3 Likes

Yay, they’re up :smiley:

And in the spirit of Christmas decorations. One of the locals has set this up as his annual display. Too good not to share.

4 Likes

Haha looks awesome!

@wheelsup_cavu I notice someone just turned the christmas lights on

3 Likes

Lol, I completely missed that they were turned off again.

Wheels

1 Like

Too soon for the lights??
Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

Wheels

2 Likes

I think we should at least be in Turkey territory, but that’s just me.

1 Like

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by ION
:wink:

Wheels

1 Like

Yes. In fact, the Mudspike Christmas lights is the spark that starts the whole holiday.
We have an obligation to stick to tradition here.

3 Likes

Although I believe there is a special place in hell reserved for those who put up Christmas lights before December, perhaps we can compromise?

‘Xmas in July’ is a thing Downunder… Just sayin’

3 Likes

In ‘Account (avatar circle, top right) / Preferences / Interface / Theme’ you can always set the main theme to ‘Ebenezer Scrooge’ and it’ll remove all mentions of Christmas or the lights.

3 Likes

It is December 1st somewhere in the world already.

Wheels

8 Likes

Thanks for the reminder!
I need to start looking for christmas gifts… :grin:

4 Likes

sure that, I picked first delivery today

1 Like

Deck the halls…

I can’t believe it is December already :christmas_tree:

5 Likes