Museum Relic Campaign available!

From the latest ED Newsletter:

The Museum Relic Campaign Now Available

“The Museum Relic” campaign is a story driven campaign that takes place between the two small fictional countries of Matova and Obristen. As their war stretches into its fifth year, both nations are feeling the strain of not being able to replenish their lost aircraft. You will fly as a character who, at the beginning of the war, was just a civilian. But after seeing the dire situation his country is facing, he decides to enlist in the Matova Army Air Corp. With his enlistment papers, he also brings with him his personal aircraft which he had donated to the Museum years ago.

Key Features of The Museum Relic Campaign:

• Choose to fly the campaign as either the Mig-15bis or the F-86F
  • 22 story driven missions which will push your abilities in: high/low altitude and airspeed flight envelopes, aerial gunnery, ground attacks, and navigation
  • Each campaign has its own unique mission briefings, flight plan pages, and voice overs that coincide with the selected aircraft
  • Over 160 pages of mission briefings and flight plan pages
  • More than 400 custom voice overs by 17 different voice actors
  • Custom made livery for both the Mig-15bis and the F-86F

Download from: The Museum Relic Campaign
Video Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT5dmyufkUk
Note: DCS: F-86F Sabre and DCS: MiG-15bis are required and are not included in this purchase.

Beach and I each got to preview this magnificent campaign set (you can read Beach’s preview here) and this is some solid work. Good story telling, excellent intro to these classic aircraft, and all around fun, I highly recommend checking it out. I didn’t get to try out the F-86F portion of the campaign, the MiG-15bis part was worth the $9.99 asking price, IMHO.

I just bought my copy and am looking forward to completing the MiG-15bis missions and flying in the Sabre!

@bunyap2w1 sims also has a few preview video’s on his channel!

1 Like

I agree. For the price of a movie ticket - you get dozens of hours of tense and well constructed missions that certainly do suck you in. I’m not the biggest fan of the WW2 and Korea War era modules…but The Museum Relic really did a great job of making me love the MiG-15, and I found myself anxious to try out each mission because I got involved in the campaign.

This is exactly the type of content that DCS World needs. You can poo-poo the plausibility of the storyline all you want, but some people actually want to have some “game” in their sims, and this campaign provides that. And the missions are really well put together, with quality voiceovers, fantastic moments, and some challenging flying and fighting to boot. I’d also mention that this is the type of stuff that I would think ED would want to see…and we should want to see too. Creative people that are good at story-telling (and the mission editor) making stuff for us to do with the technically precise stuff that ED and other 3rd party developers are making. It really is a win/win.

My one and only concern for all the mission makers is that I hope they can keep their content current and working with DCS World as it moves forward. They put a lot of work into these missions and it isn’t hard to imagine as DCS World improves that some of those triggers and AI logic could get disrupted. The best bet (in my opinion) is to buy it now, play it now with the current iteration, and look at it like a movie ticket purchase. That isn’t to say it won’t work in several years as DCS World progresses…but I’m sure that it is up to the campaign developers as to how much time they want to chase down triggers and stuff as DCS World evolves.

Anyway - TLDR - it’s a great campaign and gives a lot of purpose to two great DCS modules (the MiG-15 and F-86)…

BeachAV8R

1 Like

Silly question time: Can I play the campaign if I only have the Sabre module?

Yes - I’m pretty sure you can.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

But I have to say, the MiG 15 is a lot of fun to fly. I didn’t think I would enjoy it (MiGs are just targets right?), but it really is a great experience to fly. Kind of quirky, it will bite you in the rear if you are not careful, simple systems once you get your head around them. A 37mm Cannon :). What’s not to like?

The beautifully cluttered cockpit looks awesome in VR too (you guys are probably getting sick and tired of me harping on about how great VR is, but I’m unrepentant. It’s awesome).

I’m having a ball with the Museum Relic campaign. Although the overall premise is a little far fetched, the missions are well written and very entertaining.

2 Likes

It’s awesome right up until you merge, completely lose track of your target because he flew out of the field of view during the break turn, realize he went low when he was indicating high, and reacquire him right as the archer flies through your windscreen.

I think we have become accustomed to it being relatively easy to keep sight of your adversary in a fight. Although I can’t claim to have real air combat experience, I can say that other aircraft are often very hard to spot, even when called out by ATC, or shown on TCAS. And that is with both aircraft flying very predictable straight and level flight paths. I can’t count the number of times where I have had visual contact with another airplane, momentarily looked down to check something and then had a very hard time reacquiring the aircraft.

I’m not saying the Rift gives you anywhere near the visual acuity of the Mk1 eyeball (it clearly doesn’t), but it does give us an idea of some of the physical difficulties involved in just checking your six. There is reason that most air to air kills in WW2 resulted from hit and run attacks where the victims didn’t know they were under threat.

2 Likes

My come away from bugging people who do it for a living is there’s no real black and white answer. Visually it’s easier to keep track of an aircraft once you’ve spotted it in real life than in a simulator due to infinitely better resolution (lol) and the ability to perceive and account for relative motion and distance. TrackIr probably makes it too easy to whip your head around, while imho VR makes it slightly too hard just because you’ve lost most of your peripheral. That said it’s something you can train to overcome.

If anything my biggest complaint is that as a Vive user we get fixes/features a month after the rift crowd, and just generally speaking my performance in 1.5 isn’t all I’d like it to be. Still there is constant improvement in both areas, so I can’t complain too loudly.

Air Crash Investigation has a few episodes that explain the problems of visually identifying aircraft in an airspace for civilian airliners. A large part of it is that you don’t sit in a nice bubble canopy whilst being trained to constantly look for visual contacts. I am sure all of us have seen those episodes though :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“komemiute, post:5, topic:2540”]
Silly question time: Can I play the campaign if I only have the Sabre module?

To my great surprise, I just learned I was wrong about this. That is disappointing (and doesn’t make much sense). The developer did post this, but having to own both modules is a problem for those that didn’t already own both:

First of all, my apologies for a late response, I’ve been busy with real world work all day.

Secondly, I was able to get a hold of Wags, and unfortunately my fears about compatibility are true. As of right now, you must own both the MiG-15 and F-86 modules in order to play this campaign. I want to reassure everyone that this is, in no way, a ploy by ED to force a purchase of an aircraft you may not want. Rather, this is a miscommunication during our initial conversations months ago, and I’ll take the blame for that.

The way modules, keys, and all that “behinds the scenes stuff” works, is that since this is a campaign for two platforms, you do need both. Imagine there’s a FC3 campaign, and you want to fly it, but you only own 1 of the 6 aircraft. It wouldn’t work because you would need the other 5 aircraft as well. That’s the best analogy I can come up with right now.

Rest assured that I am working with Matt, and ED, to figure out a way that I can get this campaign to those of you with only 1 of the 2 aircraft. This was my initial intention, and I will work to make it reality.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the current confusion, and hope to soon see it remedied. Thank you all, for your understanding.

I like the developer a lot, I like the campaign (a lot!) and hope they can get the issue sorted. Apologies that I assumed that only one or the other would be necessary to play the campaign - I was obviously wrong.

BeachAV8R

3 Likes

Logical answer is logical. No harm done as none was meant.

1 Like