My TM T16000m DIY mods
This is a rewrite of my previous T16000m threads.
Pictures on Flickr
2 stage trigger, pointy finger switch and pinky finger swich added first.
Later on I added 1 5 way switch on the thumb rest, 1 5 way switch on the top and replaced the 2 sidebuttons with tactile switches. Finished June 2017.
Added better tops for the 5 way switches 14/1 2020
All the buttons on the base still works.
I would strongly recommend to collect the needed parts first,plan ahead, drill all holes before any assembly.
I would also very strongly recommend to have longer wire ends in the handle than I had.
Some of them where close to claustrofobic to work with.
I have at long last put the finishing touches on my first modded T16000m.
I began using it June 2017, so it was about time.
At the time I used these for my 5 way switches.
The grey one is a wheel from the Hasegawa 1/72 US Aerospace Ground Equipment Set.
The green one is a roller from a ROCO Minitanks set. Both drilled to fit.
Most annoying thing about them, is that I had to push on the sides to use Up/Down and Left/Right.
Add something! But What?
A looong time ago, I killed the minijoystick on a TM TWCS throttle, when trying to remove it from the PCB. I’m just saying “Don’t apply to much heat!”
I cut the top off the TWCS thumbstick and from another model replacement thumbstick, I have bought in anticipation of my controller projects
Having cut off the top I cleaned it with Acetone and it got all sticky.
“Hey great, Acetone is the Glue!”
I propped up the stick, so the button surface was as horizontal as possible, dabbed enough Acetone on the gluesurfaces to keep them moist, waited for a bit to let the Acetone work, while keeping to ad small amounts of Acetone to keep moist, then carefully placing the new top on the button and press hard for a while.
The most important thing is to be patient and not move stuff around until the Acetone has evaporated and the bond has set.
Now it is a breeze to flick the 5 ways around.
I thought that my T16000m modding was done, but!
I just picked up these:
Both will get the buttons on top treatment avoiding the mistakes I did with the first one.
One will be a right hand version, to replace my CH FlightStick Pro and the other one will be a lefty and get an extension, so I can use it as a center stick.
I think that the biggest challenges at this point will be the extension, as I wish to retain the twist and may be making it lockable. The next is the center chairmount, as I have no idea about how I want to do it. I may end up cutting of the sides of base and rearrange the PCB’s in a new box. Well. We will see.