NATO Ministry of Information video thread

Honestly, for me personally, tanking helos was the most stressful tanking we did and I was never 100% comfortable with it and it never felt routine. This was due to the backwards join, we joined on them vs them on us, the low altitude, 3,000ish feet usually, the fact we had to fly just above our stall speed, we usually flew around 120kts indicated, and the fact there always seemed to be turbulence that tended to make things sporty. Then there was the helo it’s self which could possibly cut off its probe, our drogue, or if things went really bad hit our tail. Moving up to the front to run the refuel panel made things a bit better, since I didn’t have to see the helo, but I could still fell them! :astonished:

11 Likes

I could talk to you for hours on the subject of AAR @AndyE. I wont bombard you with questions all night but I would like to know whether the probe chopping incident was common because it didn’t look like it was difficult to make that happen.

4 Likes

Common? As far as I’m aware, no. I never saw it and I don’t remember ever hearing about it happening while I was in. I think what you see in that video is an extreme case of the pilot way over controlling the helo and something of a one off kind of deal. Now that’s not to say it couldn’t happen again, but I think one would really have to try. Now I have seen the probe go ah… “limp” and start to slide back in after making contact. Oh the jokes after that happened…:rofl:

If you have any other questions just let me know, I’d be more than happy to answer what I can.

6 Likes

I just heard that Spangdahlem lost a Viper.
Pilot is OK.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/evrNyPrxiiE

Sometimes I think being able to fly the tanker and/or be a boom operator could be fun in DCS.

EDIT:
Also a nice video, watch how the pilot works on the yoke and throttle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PAkYf-CGk

4 Likes

This is my dream for dcs. One day maybe…a kc-10 with boom and hose and drogue and an airlift capability. One day…

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Curious that the Germans opted to not upgrade the engines to be smokeless like the US did to it’s Phantoms.

5 Likes

Snowbirds lost an aircraft today, however the pilot did eject and is well!

3 Likes

Really need to get the Snowbirds newer planes than those old CT-114 Tutors. I am embarrassed as a Canadian that they still fly them and our government won’t upgrade 'em. Proud that they make the most of what they have, however! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is such a cute little jet though!

Cool video of a Spitfire and Focke Wulf.

Following it up with my favourite WWII aircraft:

4 Likes

The last ones were built in 1966…so it’s about time for new equipment!

1 Like

Had to follow up. Last report is replacement between 2026 and 2035, but the gov’t had to do avionics upgrades to comply with regulations so they will be flown until…2030. Upgrades start in 2022.

That’s a bit ridiculous!

1 Like

I was roughly 3 km away from the airfield during exactly this display. I could only hear the plane and thought it would be the resident TF-51. I had no clue the Airbus Helicopters chief test pilot was having a go in the little museum’s 109. I didn’t even know there was an event.

Great video though.

1 Like

Unless I’m much mistaken I saw a Me-262 flying over my head in Manching -2006/2007.
That was cool.

Here- Ingolstadt Manching Airport - Wikipedia

1 Like

Easily the coolest departure from the tanker I’ve ever seen. :heart_eyes:

10 Likes
6 Likes

Me and my boy were there. They were fantastic and mesmerising. Super loud

3 Likes