NATO Ministry of Information video thread

Another NATO in the Pacific.

4 Likes

I love the shape of the prop blades on these - they are iconic! It looks like this was at RAF Northolt. I used to commute past there and have been stopped a couple of times for approaching aircraft, although nothing as large as this.

I’m quite surprised that they were allowed to continue filming for as long as they did, as the MP’s have been known to get a bit twitchy with people filming RAF bases.

5 Likes

That would technically be llegal in Australia, the filming that is, not the MPs getting twitchy. Although I can’t recall anyone being prosecuted outside of ‘wartime’:

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/da190356/s82.html

2 Likes

Tha’s a big fokker tha is!

That take-off was right proper spritely. Up, up and awaaay! whee!

4 Likes

You lot should come to my house.

I’m directly under downwind for 26 at brize norton. Not a day goes by when an A400 makes me jump roaring over. Or a C17. Or a herc.

Maybe I’m just jumpy

5 Likes

I live on the Isle of Dogs under the approach to Heathrow, the approach / departure from London City, and the low level helicopter route that follows the river across London. I pretty much don’t notice any of them any more, except when the RAF flies a Chinook along the helicopter route which they like to do every few weeks or so. It rattles our shelves and windows - you feel the thump, thump, thump rather than hear it. Particularly when there’s more than one of them. It’s one of the bonuses of living here :grin:

4 Likes

Nice! I love a chinook.

We get them out of RAF benson and its always a treat. Sometimes with a pair of Apaches looking menacing. I’m so glad they are on our team

2 Likes

I suspect the ‘twitchiness’ is proportional to the VIP onboard. Royal family and the Government use Northolt. The RAF is laid back about filming normally.

3 Likes

They have got a right monk on about people at the end of the runway at Brize since the AN225 blew the fence down.

Now people turn up with stepladders. Compounding the problem

3 Likes

Folk with the ladders were GRU. Read Victor Suvorovs book “Aquarium”

1 Like

Today is the day.

B-21 RAIDER is formally revealed. I am ridiculously excited.

Even by my own over animated, borderline irritating standards. I am foaming waiting to see it

4 Likes

Looks like it’s optimised for high altitude with those long slender wings. The intakes look simplified compared to the B-2’s. There’s no beak, and I suspect a cranked arrow leading edge planform, like on the modern UCAV’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a fair clip faster than its predecessor, high subsonic or near transonic.

Can’t wait to see more! First flight is sometimes next year, probably about the same time when DCS gets its multicore rework :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Shame we wont see any other angle for a good while. After the debacle with the unveiling of the B2 and ‘that picture’ the air force won’t fall for that twice. Hence, i assume, the indoor hanger unveiling of this

2 Likes

Yep. In the end we’ll find out though. A deterrent does not work if it’s not clearly revealed.

Looking some more at those inlets, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a twin engine, not four like the B-2.

1 Like

Some very nice cockpit shots here.

3 Likes

F-35 ejection.
I wonder what happened there…?

https://youtu.be/t9GBHNaYzcs

3 Likes

Was just about to post this … looks like a loss of engine control… with the lift engine going wild

3 Likes

One thing I have wondered about the 35B… On the Harrier there are bleed air ‘vents’ at the wing tips and the tail to control/stabilise the aircraft in the hover. Can’t say that I have seen anything similar on the F-35 and can only assume that it is done with the lift fan, nozzle and software. So a breakdown in one of those systems maybe?

On second, third and fourth look. He ‘bounces’ after touchdown with a pitch forward - lift fan fail, but it is almost as if he can’t cut thrust?

Poor bugger looked like he hit the ground pretty hard, chute was barely open. Hope he is OK?

1 Like

Yeah…
Looks like a high rate of descent, initially.

1 Like

I have so many questions. But that looked like a software problem.

1 Like