New seat for the SimBox

Some of you know I made my own seat for my stow away SimBox. At first, the seat cushions made up the top lid of the box, in its stowed away configuration. But that wasn’t comfortable enough for long sim sessions.
So I made a new seat and back rest. I even covered it in Swedish M90 splinter camo…! :slight_smile:
It has worked well, but the whole SimBox still takes too long to set up, and dismantle.
I need to make something smarter, that I wouldn’t hesitate to set up for just an hour in the virtual world. Yes, I need to up the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) of the box… Happy wife, happy life. Right? :wink:

So, I thought I’d go with a proper seat, this time around.

I got this car seat, from AutoStyle, today.
It will, of course, need some modifications.
The bottom part needs a cutout for the joystick. I will need to do some alterations to the sidecushions as well as the frame itself. Since I’m not going to use it in a car, it should work out ok…

7 Likes

I am very interested in how you do this. I have a VW Jetta Drivers seat that I would like to modify in a similar way but I have not been able to figure out (in my mind) a what that I can cut out a section for a centre mount stick without making the seat look like a chain saw has been taken to it.

Will keep you guys posted, as always. :wink:

1 Like

I am probably going to have to learn how to sew :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gaffer tape FTW!!! I am going to show my wife this thread. I had a Pajero seat once with an armrest and full cream leather but when we moved in together I had to get rid of it. Now my 10 year old PC chair is ricketty and leans to one side. Oh and has wooden blocks gaffer tapped in place where the wheels used to be :smiley:

2 Likes

The seat has been dismantled…
Several metal clamps held the fabric together around a steel frame.

The thigh side supports are a bit on the narrow side. Should I just bend the frame supports a little, or just thin the side cushions?

The steel frame obviously need to be cut up in the front, to allow for the joystick and ejection handle.

I’m thinking of pop riveting a steel reinforcement plate, like this, to support the cushion, and the frame.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

It will be easier to staple the fabric if you make it from plywood/MDF and easier to shape with less risk of sharp corners. Something to think about. My cut out is great but keeping the seat aligned square with the pedals is a PITA, especially if I do some desktop work and the stick/pedal assembly is moved to the side

FYI I use the Wheelstand Pro

2 Likes

7 Likes

You work fast…

1 Like

No rest for the wicked! :wink:

Dusted some black paint on it. Why? Nobody will see it. True. Then again, why not? :wink:

Also gave the side supports a couple of good whacks with a sledgehammer, widening the gap an inch.

4 Likes

The seat cushion may need some support around the cutout. Maybe pull some ductape around the corners of the cut-out?

4 Likes

Rounded the edges of the side support cushions and filled voids in the seat cushion.
Also stuffed the seat support structure with some foam.

2 Likes

As always, impressive work @Troll. Your chops are obviously up to this task. Oh wait! There is some sewing yet to do.

Yep! A challenge…

1 Like

Not too shabby!
It will look better when stretched around the frame…I hope! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Is there anything that you can not do? :slight_smile:

Awesome job!

1 Like

Deadlines. I can’t meet a deadline… :wink:

2 Likes

Managed to squeeze in a little work on the seat.
Punched holes and put eyelets in them.
I then laced the seat cover with paracord.
Looks better now, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

The forward and rear parts of the cover will be pulled around the frame.

7 Likes

Looks like the Viggen camo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is based on the same research, as the Viggen splinter camo. And it’s of course the reason I chose it… :wink:

2 Likes