New Virpil VPC throttle inbound! The T-50CM2!

Just a guess, but could be that the intent was to make the throttles work with a wider variety of aircraft? Helicopters and props in particular?

Good point.

Probably engineer a thingy to dis-engage the lifts though? Never had a AB/Idle detent but was looking forward to it. Noobifier on YT has a preview-review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXuIDyCqVQ

Couple of weeks ago. Best I can find quick.

Adds expense and complexity, so it may have been decided to ship it now then offer a v3 with added functionality.

1 Like

Nice review on the new throttle and how it compares with the previous version. Good to see that the throttle friction can be adjusted with a 10mm wrench.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had that thought too; they are allowing for a future model. Apple’s been doing that with the iPhone for a long time.

1 Like

That “alpha” stick looks nice also.

2 Likes

Very nice template for mapping input.

1 Like

6 Likes

Intriguing

The plot thickens…
A finger lift…or a cobra…?

6 Likes

Some rough prints to check the geometry.
Works fine. The clamp for the finger lift arm is attached around the cover that sits on the throttle arm. Unfortunately, this cover is slightly loose so the finger lift arm wiggles a little because of this.

9 Likes

That is schweet Troll. So it basically limits the forward travel until you operate the lever?

1 Like

Yes. And the backwards travel. And it locks the lever at aft position.
I will have to fool around a bit with the software, but I think I can get switch triggers when passing certain axis values.
My idea is that I want to map switch triggers for starting and shutting down the engine.
And then I need to adjust the throttle curve in DCS so the AB stop matches the AB throttle position.

2 Likes

Nice. Of course you can do the same thing in BMS for AB and idle.

2 Likes

Yes. I wish DCS had such a feature…

3 Likes

Hmm. Sounds like what I had to to with my Saitek Throttle thing (3 levers plus some buttons); There is a button/switch activated at full DOWN but not full up, so I had to use vJoy to say, "when lever above X AND Increasing, do this.

3 Likes

Nice job @Troll! This may put the Virpil throttle on my To-Buy list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!
This mod is for the original MT-50 throttle. I think it will work on the MT-50CM as well. And when I get the CM2, I will make a mod for that one. The CM2 has a greater lever range, so it will be the best throttle for a mod like this.
I have solved the wobbly cover issue by adding a collar, to the clamp attachment, that reaches up to the throttle handle. But the finger lift arm is still a bit sloppy. I will try to make a dual arm version.

2 Likes

Double arms on the fingerlift is much better!

11 Likes

Pure, like, awesome-ness, totally, dude.

I’m gonna have to rummage through the washer & dryer and scrounge up funds for the throttle now. Those machines are great, make me money, a few nickels, dimes, & quarters at a time :wink:

2 Likes