NVIDIA RTX 3000 series

Some performance comparisons with RTX 3090 - Meh

1 Like

Just checked my ASUS TUF 3080 on Amazon … it’s selling for the same price as I paid a scalper a couple years ago LOL! Would be even more sad after taxes.

ASUS said it’s going to be chopping prices though no?

1 Like

Sure. As soon as

• Nvidia lowers their prices
  • people stop paying the high prices.
1 Like

This is pure meme material. I think I should take a break.

1 Like

I’ve seen that card in stock for $400 less elsewhere. Not often but it’s there.

1 Like

$1499 Check this out on @Newegg: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card, 12G-P5-3967-KR, 12GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-12g-p5-3967-kr/p/N82E16814487547?Item=N82E16814487547&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-

1 Like

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-strix-rtx3080-o10g-v2-gaming/p/N82E16814126534?Description=3080+rog+strix

I just bought a thing. Now begins the questioning whether I should have just been a bit more patient (it’s been 2 years, what’s 2 more months) LOL

edit: just came back in stock today, merci newegg alerts

1 Like

What happened to the “3080 is only 10GB, I’m not getting a 10GB card. I’m waiting!”
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

the 12gb is too expensive, and the 24 is even WORSE :smiley:

They’re all too expensive, but I agree, the 24 is excessive :roll_eyes:

Haaaaa, the price has gone up $100 since I ordered. Take that suckers LOL

2 Likes

I look at my 12GB GPU and see that DCS is using most of it [VRAM] - same settings I used for my 8GB 1080 card (it just all runs a lot faster). Like 90%+.

I’ll bet if I had 24GB it would use most of that too. Somehow. That direct storage API thing looks promising too (though perhaps not directly related). And yes, the price of the 24 was just too much at the time.

A few things to note:

• DCS runs on DX11, but the direct storage API is a DX12 feature.
  • ED is fully committed to migrating to Vulkan, which to my best knowledge doesn’t have that feature yet.

The same principle will at some point pop up in Vulkan at some point and then ED has to refactor their asset streaming to take advantage of it. So depending on when the feature drops in Vulkan (which will be driven by demand, which in term will be driven by how well it works in practice) and how complicated the refactoring is for ED, we may well talk a year or even a couple of years.

As for memory consumption, the engine likely uses as much VRAM as it can to cache assets. The larger the cache, the lower the requirements are for streaming. It also decreases the possibility of a cache miss, although I imagine at 12gigs VRAM, that may be the lesser issue.

2 Likes

Yup, agree. Someday it will get the proper attention. Never thought about it much til now but, don’t DX12 and Vulcan move the bar in similar ways?. Yet they picked Vulkan. Easier to implement? Or aligned with ED’s platform agnostic idea? Just wondering…

I can only guess.

Microsoft usually use major DX version jumps to force users to upgrade to newer versions of Windows. I haven’t worked with either API yet but what I read is that Vulkan is much more platform agnostic, so we are talking older versions of Windows as well as possibly even UNIXes like Linux or macOS. It’s also an open standard, with all the ups and downs that come with that.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489?Description=RTX%2030880&cm_re=RTX_30880-_-14-932-489-_-Product

Save a couple hundo and got the full 12 GB…

I’m glad the cards are becoming available now, but I don’t regret buying in October when I lucked out on one. Who knows what the future holds, enjoy it while you can.

DX12 still has Overhead on extreme scenes, Vulkan does not.

1 Like

The world hates me. Card wasn’t supposed to be delivered until Tuesday earliest. It’s on a truck to be delivered today. We are going out today. Chances are I am not getting it until Monday now lol. Teaaaase.

2 Likes

Hopefully there’s no porch pirate!

1 Like