NVIDIA RTX 4000 Series

The rumor mill is churning out good ones! I might be able to just drop a 4080 in where my 3080 used to be! Rumored TGP is the same! 16GB of memory too … not bad … it’s what I’ve always wanted my 3080 to be with 70% more performance! :smiley:

1 Like

they change everyweek to the point that there’s no reason to make decisions based on anything until actual benchmarks are launched and the NDA is lifted.

the 3080s and 3080 ti’s dropping another 30% is happening though

as for the 4070, 65w increase, but a nice decrease if memory bus width… passs.

1 Like

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

Im good. Ill wait on the 7080ti.

Nvidia Officially Announces the RTX 4090 and 4080 Desktop GPUs

3 Likes

16 GB 4080 here I come! (I say this because I don’t think I’ll have to install a new power supply)

Just got an email from the PC shop I use. They recommend to wait for the real life power consumption and experience with the nVidia 4090 card before making a purchase decision. Sounds good to me.

Though wondering how much FS2020 and DCS and arma series will really benefit from it :slight_smile:

Cheers,
TeTeT

2 Likes

Not sure about pancake mode but I suppose VR would benefit in any case?

2 Likes

Im on the Hype Train
And im ready to Crash & Burn
Cos i never learn
Im on the Hype Train

Same thing Every Launch! This card is Twice as Fast. This new Architecture blows the last away. By the way Nvidia, nice touch to name it like a P*rn Star. ADA LOVELACE :rofl: :rofl:
I may skip 4xxxx but lets see how the Real tests go.

Boy are you going to be impressed if you thought she was an adult actress:

Ada Lovelace

Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace (née Byron ; 10 December 1815 – 27 November 1852) was an English mathematician and writer, chiefly known for her work on Charles Babbage’s proposed mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. She was the first to recognise that the machine had applications beyond pure calculation, and to have published the first algorithm intended to be carried out by such a machine. As a result, she is often regarded as the first computer programmer.[2][3][4]

TL;DR: Was first person to realize that a computer (“analytical engine”) could be used not just for mathematical calculations, but also as ehm … as a computer. Before 1850. She also wrote the first algorithm (computer program) for that machine.

4 Likes

Same “Ada” that inspired the name for adafruit.com, the best maker site in the 'Merikas!

2 Likes

i think they goof the specs in the article.

16 GB with 32 Bit Busses is 8x 2 GB chips.

12 GB with 32 Bit Busses is 8x 1.5GB chips.

I find it hard to believe there are 1.5GB ram chips.

6x 2GB chips on a 192 Bit interface makes more sense

As last time I checked there are no 1.5GB GDDR6X chips.

Was also under impression it was 24 and 12 GB for the 4080 at 12 Chips each for a 384 bit bus swapping 2GB for 1 GB on the lower spec unit.

1 Like

Seems nVidia is upto some shady practises here:

5 Likes

Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace
She could get it :rofl:
A seriously brilliant woman. How on Gods earth was she thinking like this nowhere near the 20th century.?
I stay awake at night wondering how people like this exist.
Thank you @Freak for opening my eyes. I suddenly need to view “The imitation game”. A movie that really says, in spite of what you are, or what you believe, we are All One. Damn if Cumberbatch didnt pull that off! Im straight and i felt his Pain.

1 Like

The 4080 12GB is 192 Bit

1 Like

to Echo his comments about Specs on the Box,

Back in the days of the ATi/nVidia/3DFx, they did have specs on the box.

2 Likes

I concur with all y’all! The 4080 12 GB is just wrong … so wrong. :slight_smile:

Be careful with the 4000 series and any older (has to be ATX3 or newer) power supplies.

Also … new power connector for the 4000 series has a 30 cycle limit - after pluging/unplugging the cable 30 times, it (and maybe the connector on the card) needs to be replaced.

I’m … gonna pass on the 4000 series: the 4080 shenanigans (two different cards with different specs which should have been called 4070 and 4080) and the price hikes, and this.

SERIOUSLY?? MORE bad news for NVIDIA’s 40 Series… - YouTube

3 Likes

Good to know. I also didn’t know about the new 12 pin connector that needs an adaptor for older PSU 's which takes like three or four 8 pin connectors to power? I’ll be standing down for a bit. :slight_smile: Probably going to go with my original plan to get the 4090 and a brand new power supply. I’m not concerned about the 30 cycle limit.

1 Like

nVidia and their Proprietary tech, lol.
You can buy new cables, but they aren’t cheap.

The Power Connecter news isnt new, it’s been announced for 4 years and used for 3.

watch eVGA go AMD… lol.