Nvidia-to-introduce-official-high-end-rtx-30-series-price-cuts?

Sounds good! Might suk for those who purchased at extortion prices
during the mining-induced gpu famine, though.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=rtx+3080&N=4841

4 Likes

Best Buy in the US has the EVGA - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING for $1499 on their web site.

1 Like

Being an early adopter in computer tech always sux down the road :wink:

4 Likes

I paid a ridiculous $2600 for a 3080, but used it to mine ETH when I wasn’t simming. Paid for itself in 18 mos. I figured that since that mining was driving the price up, that I was justified in using mining to recoup the cost.

3 Likes

Shortest joke of the world:

MSRP.

• Insert laughing gif here -
2 Likes

Even after the latest crypto crash? :wink:

Yes, I averaged, but remember in November it peaked. ETH price today is where it was early Jan 2021, so there was a nice period of 2 to 3x, before the correction.

1 Like

I really know nothing about crypto currency… Just read in the news that it took a nose dive and grabbed the chance at a stab. :wink:

2 Likes

There are times when I wish that I knew nothing about it. But a side benefit was that investing in BTC is very similar to traditional markets. The basic fundamentals are the same. Because Bitcoin is tech related, it was easier to wrap my head around it. Trust no one :smiley:

1 Like

My position on this is that the modern market is more or less gambling and the value is invested in peoples feelings.
Crypto currency is quite litterally just printing money.
I know this is just how it is, and that it just shows my limitations. Don’t let that dissuade you in any way :wink:

2 Likes

Not just on Ebay anymore. Following the principle of Caveat Emptor, I carefully perused some of the tastier offers out there, even from larger retailers like Newegg and Amazon, and find that in the very fine print, these cards are sometimes hailing from addresses in China, or business incorporated in China…

3 Likes

I’m not recommending that you by one, but I don’t think that mining puts much stress on the GPU. More so the PSU and maybe the mobo chipset due to heat.

I’m really tempted to pick up 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra at $1499 from BB. I usually use Tom’s for GPU benchmark, but I wish that they would add a VR column.

Good discussion of the Nvidia price reduction.

1 Like

I’m just as much concerned with the dodgy Mofos attempting to dump faulty cards…

I think he meant that mining put a higher stress on the PSU and Mobo, than GPU. But they sure paid more for the top tier GPU’s than anything else. I guess the GPU is more important for mining but the PSU and Mobo chipset wears out faster.

1 Like

The heat is what I meant to emphasize, not mining itself. IME, the mining process does not stress my system that much. At least not nearly as hard as when VR gaming.

1 Like

It needs to be pointed out that with the hit cryptos have taken the last couple of months, that ship has long, long since sailed.

1 Like

Jump on the bandwagon.

BTW, ETH is up 21.8% in 7 days. Grab those discounted Nvidia cards while you can.

1 Like

yup, I heard that when 1BTC was around $500, wish I bought few at that time :smile:

1 Like

Yep, mine is up again. Creeping back up day by day. So are my altcoins. Nowhere near previous levels but trending up.
Im satisfied its not dead

1 Like

Everything is trending up this morning.

snow

1 Like