Oculus "Can't reach runtime service"

We live in a weird world now it seems :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/971459841993658371

4 Likes

I get why the clock trick is stupid…now. And thanks for the fair warning! But this PC is for gaming only and the whole thing could go up in smoke tomorrow and, although I wouldn’t be happy about it, my heart wouldn’t skip a beat. Plus, by doing this I was able to invoke my inner Cher!

BTW, the reddit thread linked in that PC Gamer blurb is pretty funny. Mudspike is such a civil forum compared to, well, just about everybody else.

4 Likes

I rebuilt my wife’s PC a while back and I was troubleshooting for literally hours before I realised the date was 2007 instead of 2015. Literally nothing worked because of expired certificates including IE and Firefox so I could not use the web for help LOL how we laughed :rage:

2 Likes

I could see things like Dropbox or shared folders that used “most recent” documents probably (or potentially) having problems. Shudder.

Doesn’t fill you with hope that after several hours they have not come up with a fix. I can see a scenario where we all have to reinstall fresh Occulus software

@chipwich’s Samsung Odyssey WMR purchase is looking pretty timely right now… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed it is! Smart move there Dan :wink:

Great market timing…we are all typing back and forth to each other and he’s “jacked in” and flying in VR at the moment. Bravo Sir @chipwich

Reddit is being pretty hilariously relentless…

2 Likes

Hopefully they use the next 8 hours to research what a zip file download is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, but I wish no ill will on Oculus. They were/are pioneers in our hobby and my first love. What I am wondering about is the two massive DDOS attacks in the last couple of weeks. Not directly related, but we had some service provider outages in the last week, whom were rather nebulous on the source of their troubles.

1 Like

LOL - my VR Lens Lab glasses arrived today, so i don’t have to fiddle with my contact lenses. Hurry up and wait.

1 Like

Got these…

4 Likes

Cool! I’d wear those all the time, VR or not… :wink:

I’m at home on a few days off duty, and my Rift is down… :roll_eyes:
I swear that if someone sold the Odyssey locally, I’d be running around and waving my creditcard…!

Was going to try them on my sailing dinghy!

1 Like

Patch released and fixed issue for me.

4 Likes

“We’re very sorry for the disruption today. We’re providing a $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) to people impacted by this issue. If you used Rift on or after February 1st, 2018 this credit will be added to your account automatically within the next 7 days.”

1 Like

Funny choice of date. I wonder if that was the actual expiry date of the certificate with the grace period kicking in yesterday. I bet the programmer responsible for this mess had to sit by himself on the FaceBook employee bus to work this morning.

I’ve always known I could never be an IT type person. To be responsible for so many people’s data and with so much complexity…and if something goes wrong, I mean, the buck stops with you. Same reason I could never be an investment advisor or a wedding video producer or something like that. I’m OK with my screwups messing up ME…but I’d just be wrecked if my screwup messed up a bunch of other people.

1 Like