Oculus Home 2

Available in beta, just change your Settings/Beta/opt in setting in the current Oculus Home.

I typed this on the VR keyboard. Odd stuff.

1 Like

Will try tomorrow!

1 Like

So far it works really well. Itā€™s basically Minority Report type UI, as you can have a huge virtual desktop with individual windows pinned around you. It does take some getting used to, in that the point, grab, ā€˜dockā€™ gestures will take some repetition to remember. The ā€˜virtual homeā€™ stuff is pretty polished (I like my Jellyfish tank) and the ā€˜I can pin Netflix as a 3D window inside Elite Dangerous inside VRā€™ is going to be actually quite useful.

3 Likes

Hello, I am also typing in vr Very cool and the predicted text helps a lot. i wish I can change the keyboard position

I am wondering, how to stop the music thats is played so I can listen to a movie. Also do you know how to move the screen (Desktop) furthur away to make viewing more comfortable ?
Cheers and sorry if its obvious. PS I have no controllers, just x box and the wee one that packs with the rift

The Pirate cove home was very nice! I liked the mini games. Archery and blaster shooting was fun!
But my FPS in DCS took a nosedive!
Where I usually have 90FPS steady, it now seemed to pulsate between 45 & 90. Almost as if ASW turned on and off, continouslyā€¦
I then selected the classic view without the dash, in Oculus home, and DCS was back to a solid 90 again.

Iā€™m not sure, I thought it was Touch only but it looks like it does work with X-box controllers. With touch when you ā€˜grabā€™ something, you can use the left stick to rotate it or move it further away, including grabbed desktop screens.

Iā€™ve read that people have had success with putting ā€˜Admin permissions neededā€™ on the Oculus client shortcut, i.e. right click on the ā€˜Oculusā€™ shortcut / Properties / Compatibility / Run this program as an administrator. That basically stops it from running automatically when putting on the headset and can save a bunch of memory fragmentation before launching a VR app. When you want to go to Oculus Home you just click the icon, accept the admin dialog and youā€™re in. For SteamVR and games that have no Home integration it saves a bunch of time/memory.

1 Like

So, what you are saying is that I shouldnā€™t launch Oculus Home before DCSā€¦?

1 Like

Not unless you want to launch it from there. The ā€˜run as adminā€™ works on the normal as well as the beta version, and it means VR games will start up a lot quicker, as they donā€™t have to go to the trouble of bringing up a 3D world just because you put the visor on, only for it to have to unload when DCS comes up anyway.

The Oculus drivers and underlying service etc arenā€™t impacted, itā€™s purely just the Home client that doesnā€™t come up automatically.

2 Likes

LOL!
I have always thought Oculus Home had to be running in the backgroundā€¦
Will try the run as admin trick.

1 Like

Nice Oculus Home 2 feature demo, if you donā€™t want to try it yet:

Likewiseā€¦!

1 Like

I need to buy you some beers. The run as admin has just made Normandy flyable for me. I guess the reduced CPU cycles and memory is now powering the game and not oculus home YAAY. My problem was that there was significant ā€œtearing/ghostingā€ previously even with all settings dumbed down. It was never a problem with 1.5.~ only 2.1.

Thank you :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah! The run as admin trick worked great!
How do you know all this, @fearlessfrog?

@discobot fortune Does @fearlessfrog actually know everything there is to know?

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Concentrate and ask again

Ok, @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: My reply is no

1 Like

I get the feeling this bot is hiding somethingā€¦

Hereā€™s a nice DCS example of the new Dash with desktop windows shown in VR. Handy for briefing materials and manuals.

1 Like