OpenVR fholger VR Perf Kit (FSR)

Ditto.

I have given it a go couple days ago at 0.4. It was right fiddly to get going. I reverted, but keeping a close eye.

Just finished reading the thread on DCS forum.

I am not into DCS for the moment (the Russian invasion and all the madness is happening a little too close to my original home country to be able to play a modern air combat sim) but I look at such tech positively.

Do you think it is exclusively a DCS thingy or it could potentially work also with other titles too?

Me three. Thanks fearless!

Sometimes I sit here wondering how many hoops you VR enthusiasts are willing to jump through to get acceptable VR performance! :slight_smile:

Interest Reaction GIF

2 Likes

I donā€™t mind. Iā€™m pretty much all VR all of the time. If there is a tweak to make it a wee bit more enjoyable, Iā€™ll give it a try. Without sounding like Iā€™m wearing VR on my sleeve, I ainā€™t going back, especially flying rotor craft.

2 Likes

Todayā€™s 55ā€ (and up) 4K panels just offer so much more no brainer beauty though!

So this will sound pretty odd, but it works.

OpenComposite-ACC has an initialization bug in it that you need to do the following for a reliable start-up:

1. Start up a clean WMR Portal. Note: donā€™t put on the headset yet, make it face a blank wall or cover the front of it (so the front cameras are covered). :person_with_white_cane:

2. Start DCS from a desktop icon.

3. Once DCS has started then put on the headset and hit your DCS VR Recenter.

Vehemently agree. It ainā€™t Swiss software thatā€™s for sure, but we each have to do what weā€™re comfortable doing.

Thereā€™s a bunch of Steam/OpenVR titles it works with, listed on the front page of here - Files Ā· master Ā· Jabbah / OpenCompositeACC Ā· GitLab. Itā€™s all a bit of hack and in active development, so worth trying anything.

We think the same about all those gravy seal first person shooters but weā€™re too polite to comment on those topics I guess. :wink:

3 Likes

Keep digging those rabbit holes for us @fearlessfrog.

3 Likes

Iā€™m hip. There are 2D people and 3D people. We can coexistā€¦or do we, as humansā€¦never mind.

The US Army has gone in deep with training in VR (ANG and others too). Itā€™s the depth perception thatā€™s important, but never seems to be emphasized enough.

Having 2 PCā€™s now the old one gets the BIG 50" monitor - just canā€™t do any real work in 3D. Iā€™m using an old 24", 1080p, for the ā€œfun machineā€ in VR - all it has to do is get me started. The KVM switch thing just didnā€™t work well enough.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve tried it twice now, once on the old box and once on the new one. Just didnā€™t see much improvement in the smooth-ment. Perhaps because Iā€™ve cleaned up my system, and strive to keep up with that, periodically, that I never saw any gains (other than visually - made MFDā€™s harder to read if I recall).

I just donā€™t think, for DCS, weā€™ll see any significant gains until ED gets the multi-core thing going. And in addition removing the need for steamVR?

1 Like

hopefully the shift from DX11 to Vulkanā€™s API Enables more things for VR.

1 Like

A noob question.
Iā€™m trying to work my way into VR. MSFS 2D then WMR setup for my G2s then VR in MSFS.
DCS downloaded and starting to fly (but still weeding my way through HOTAS set up). Goal is VR in DCS given the vastly better graphics in DCS.

Iā€™m trying to understand the VR layer that is occupied by (I think) WMR for MSFS and Steam or OpenVR for DCS. I would like to avoid Steam and am focused on OpenVR.

What roll does Steam, OpenVR and potentially WMR VR Portal play in the app to user chain?

Thanks!

You can use the Steam app to launch MSFS, but configure OpenXR to be the VR runtime. Just as with DCS, you do not need to run SteamVR. There are threads here about setting this up and here is a relevant video.

1 Like

The default for DCS with a WMR headset is:
DCS uses OpenVR (which is SteamVR) interface to talk to the driver layer called ā€œWMR for SteamVRā€. This layer can be controlled through the SteamVR UI.
It talks to the headset more or less directly, so that is WMR I guess.

If you replace some of the .dll files in Program Files\DCS\bin with the ones that OpenComposite_ACC provides, you can bypass the SteamVR.
The DCS files need to be changed because as I said above, DCS uses the OpenVR interface (think of it as a language) to talk to the VR driver by default. So by inserting these files you are changing the language DCS speaks to VR to be the OpenXR interface.
This works better with WMR headsets, but you do need to install the OpenXR Dev tool to make sure the WMR headset understands it.

This is my simplified, vague and probably incorrect understanding of it. It is better explained by @fearlessfrog here:

Instructions for setup are in the link below. Looks like you no longer need to mess with the files in DCS\bin yourself, there is some sort of installer/updater UI for opencomposite now.

2 Likes

Thank you Freak. That is exactly what I was looking for. Replacing the mid layer DLLs to change the middle man that the app uses to get to WMR makes all the sense in the world.

Iā€™ll get the OpenXR stuff downloaded, back up the original DLLs (assuming they may or may not be covered by a ā€œrepairā€) and try the non-Steam approach. Iā€™ll also grab the toolkit and familiarize myself with the options.

Iā€™m partially through the second link and it is absolutely spot on for what I am doing!!!

1 Like

Wow
First activity with DCS in VR and all W/O Steam. Very nice.

Surrounding graphics are slightly better and more useful in MSFS as it has all the Google Earth data. Other than that, DCS is WAY better. Airframe authenticity if off the hook.

Now I need to learn all the commands to go back and forth between VR and flat screen as it is a bit of a hand full to manage grabbing mice and/or hand controllers when you can not see your desk :slight_smile:

Thanks!

4 Likes

Need to RTFM before asking questions. Re-following the install guide after a DCS update.

Yep, that did the trick. The OpenXR tutorial even spells out the DLL that gets replaced with the DCS version on every update. I just went through the guide and renamed the DLL. All is good. Sorry for the hair trigger.

On a different note, this VR stuff is incredibly useful for proficiency work. The DCS L-39C is very accurate to the stock L-39. Ours is a good bit lighter with much better throttle response but the sim is still a very useful place to practice things like SFOs. The sight picture is fairly accurate and it has definitely improved my performance in the real thing.

Hats off to you folks that devote the time to truly learn an airframe like the F16. Wow, there is just sooooo much to these planes.

3 Likes

If dcs has updated it reverts to standard. But it has the courtesy to put all the stuff it found that wasnā€™t strictly ā€œnormalā€ in a backup folder. Move the contents of that folder back down to the root DCS folder, overwriting where necessary and your moda are back in operation! Easy peasy!

2 Likes

Quick question to OpenXR users, that also use my App,

Is there anything I need to integrate into my app to make this easier to use and work properly with my app.

1 Like