Our Samsung Odyssey (+) first impressions, tips, and tricks...

It’s really hard to get good pictures. I tried to use my good Sony camera but they came out much worse than yours. I also bumped the camera lens on screen and scratched it a little but you can’t see it in VR, just be careful if you get the same idea.

1 Like

Love the new WMR 1809 update. One new thing I really like is that you can grab ‘apps’ from within the House (press the windows key on the controller) and rather than launch them, you get the option to place them as TV’s to make a sort of game library up. You just put the headset on and then it’s a good reminder of what to play. Cool.

1 Like

@fearlessfrog will you play Bridge Crew with me when my goggles come in?

3 Likes

Of course. I’ve been working on this comedy Picard English accent for the longest time, don’t want it to go to waste! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, i have 1070Oc too with I5 8400 and 16gb ddr 4 and ssd.

Can you share your graphig settings ?

Im intrested how you get 45fps solid with 1.6 PD (i just read your older post in this thread )

orginal odyssey here, lots nicer than my rift (still have that too)

But would like to get some help with settings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @haukka81. I run with these DCS settings and am happy with them:

To get to 45 fps (I turn reprojection off in SteamVR, keep the Video override to 100% and just use PD 1.5 from within DCS) you also have to use the VR Mod here: DCS VR Shaders Mod (now with instructions!)

My i5 is overclocked to 4.5GHz as well. If I had a better GPU I’d push up some MSAA x2 but these keep the 1070 pretty toasty in VR.

2 Likes

Do you know if 1809 WMR handles ultrawide monitors better when using the desktop “app”? I think they need to curve it like virtual desktop does.

I don’t know. Where I have multiple monitors hooked up it allows me to toggle which one I see in the top left with an icon. It’s not ideal but it’s free. I still use Virtual Desktop in WMR anyway, but the Desktop app is handy for quick launching stuff (especially as the mouse integration is ok).

I like that when you put the headset on that you can ignore the hand controllers and use the mouse instead. The right mouse button does the ‘move jump’ and the mouse wheel rotates position - neat.

That will work out well. You won’t be able to see them, but I have been growing my Capt. Kirk sideburns for when the goggles get here.

1 Like

I just got my shipping notification! Looks like I will have the headset by Friday! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I now own two Odyssey Plus’s - how’s that for obsessive. :crazy_face:

I bought at the physical Microsoft store about 12 days or so ago, mainly so I could take it back if I didn’t like it. Yesterday I phoned the store about the sales discount and they said I could come in and they’d credit the $200. Cool.

I phoned again a bit later, as was lazy and didn’t want to look up the store hours, but I got someone else who then said that they ‘only give the sale credit if it’s in stock at that store’. I said, ‘well, that’s a bit dumb as I could order online where it is in stock and just return the store one regardless’, to which they replied ‘I guess. Sure. Bye’. That got me twitchy I’d make a trip to the store and then not get my discount unless I made a fuss.

Sooo. Ordered another one yesterday, got shipping info today that it comes tomorrow (I suspect from the store that has no stock, dunno, Fedex puts the location the same). I’ll return the ‘old’ one tomorrow to the store and get the ‘new’ one the same day. Kind of odd situation, but I guess it’ll work out. Like HMD’s that pass in the night etc. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Try returning the old one in a Rift box…

3 Likes

You guys are really making it hard not to try one of these even though I have not been a HUGE user of my Rift since I got it in DCS.

If you guys own SkyrimVR make sure you try it in the O+, I found the res bump really added to the immersion for that game.

4 Likes

Plus so many good VR mods for it as well. This True 3D sound one works so well in VR:

5 Likes

So one interesting anecdata point :slight_smile: is that as I pack up Mr Old Samsung Odyssey + to return tonight, I’ve noticed that the foam in the headband and rearband (?) is actually a bit softer in places. Like it is breaking down a bit in terms of stiffness as I wore it.

I wonder if it just starts more uncomfortable and gets a bit better over time as the cushion foams becomes more molded and softer? Hmm, I’ll find out tonight as I pick up Mr New for a direct comparison…

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like mine has gotten more comfortable, but I also wonder if maybe that I’ve just figured out the best way to put it on quickly, and my head is adapting to it rather than it to me…LOL…

2 Likes

Wow, I would have been ok today not seeing that @BeachAV8R. :slight_smile:

Ok, one more tip as I’ve found the IPD setting pretty odd. On the Rift you get the ‘green crosses’ to calibrate the distance between the eyes wheel slide, but on the O+ they just display the gap as millimeters (don’t be scared USA friends, it represents two hogsheads to the furlong).

The trouble is with that that is (a) I swear the slider output is wrong, as in it under measures quite a bit and (b) optimists usually give the distance from the nose between each eye, rather than a single figure. This is because only truly beautiful people are exactly symmetrical :crazy_face: and the adjustment is looking for a single figure.

I’ve found that if you follow your exact IPD as a single figure and set it on the O+ then things set to far focus (like the mountains in DCS) will look out of focus. You’ll get used to it, but may get headaches etc.

The best way of calibrating IPD properly on the O+ I have found is to go to the Cliff House, go stare at a star or the moon in the sky (because that’s set to infinity scaling) and then change the wheel until it is clear and comfortable. Because the distance millimeter display gets in the way when you touch the adjustment wheel, choose a star or moon slightly above the outputed display.

It works for me anyway, and I have no direct evidence the IPD output is wack, but I suspect it is.

2 Likes

One more week in the O+ and that is what you will look like too. You just wake up one morning…and boom…just like your Mom said, “your face is going to freeze like that…” Good news is, I’ll get the elevator all to myself from this point forward.

And I agree on the IPD setting. I tried mine at the optometrist measured setting and actually felt it was better rolling it slightly lower while looking at something.

1 Like

I caved to the pressure and picked up an SO+ at my local Microsoft store yesterday. Couldn’t be left out of the plus club.

Spent an hour switching back and fourth between plus and nonplussed versions (pun intended). SO is more comfortable than SO+. Can understand now @BeachAV8R’s image. A shame, because the Plus image is marginally bettter. Perfect combo would be SO+ guts in an SO headset.

My image testing revealed that I can read some cockpit placards with the plus that couldn’t with the SO1 at default Hornet cockpit position. So will keep plus and sell SO1 and Oculus.

Sorry for the brevity. Date night tonight.

2 Likes