Our Samsung Odyssey (+) first impressions, tips, and tricks...

I cannot like that post more than once unfortunately.

Iā€™m keeping mine and not because I immediately voided the warranty. I donā€™t mind tinkering with things to a degree and making it more comfortable isnā€™t rocket surgery. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m annoyed or just being an ass but I canā€™t understand people that were eager enough to buy this HMD at release, which Iā€™d consider to be kind of an early adopter or enthusiast move, and then not have a hint of ingenuity or patience to figure out a quick jury rig solution for comfort. There are so many ā€œnope, my head is sore, returning immediatelyā€ reviews. I just didnā€™t expect that from the bleeding edge PC VR crowd.

I must have a Neanderthal head, because Iā€™ve never had a comfort issue with my SO1. I do wish that it had a cooling fan like FatShark FPV goggles.

1 Like

I took one of those DNA tests and it said I was more Neanderthal than average.

1 Like

And to have an actual point on my rant about comfort and mods. I think depending where you stand on that can help you decide if itā€™s worth it. If reading about making mods for comfort and you think ā€œI shouldnā€™t have to do that for x$ of money I spentā€ vs ā€œThat looks easy, I can do that and maybe betterā€, youā€™ll have a better idea of whether or not itā€™s worth it. Me, I was excited when I got it and knew that discomfort would be easy to solve and worth it for the improved visuals.

I donā€™t know if the foam is starting to break in a bit, or if Iā€™ve just found the right position, or Iā€™m growing a callous on my forehead, but Iā€™ve found the O+ is becoming more and more comfortable and natural feeling. I think I initially had the strap wheel set too tight and that was contributing to the tension on my forehead. Given most of my gaming is seated VR, I found I donā€™t need that strap real tight.

2 Likes

Still just doing a broad spectrum exploration before I settle in and start playing (something!). The M2000C looks great. Some cockpits are better than others simply because of the size of their instrumentation and digital displays.

I doing some exploration with the Ka-50, I found that 1.6 pixel density in DCS World provided for good performance and visuals. Out of curiosity, I bumped it up to 2.5ā€¦performance was impacted, but visuals did not really improve much (if at all). At 1.6 PD, I can read the left and right side panel lettering just fineā€¦I can also read the boot up screen of the ABRIS fineā€¦but once it goes into the map mode, it is just a bit too fuzzy to read without leaning forward just slightly. My through the lens photos donā€™t actually reflect how clear it isā€¦they make it look more fuzzy than it really is. Itā€™s pretty hard to get a good photo through the lenses that is truly representative of what you see in the headset.

5 Likes

The P-51 is just gorgeous in the O+. The analog gauges are big, easy to read, and itā€™s just a fun VR experienceā€¦and that coming from a guy that isnā€™t a big WW2 simmerā€¦

The Gazelle is fun since it is so responsive. The canopy plexiglass or whatever it is made of is a bit too clean and transparent at whatever settings Iā€™m using. The really fine lettering on the panel is pretty hard to read and youā€™d have to be pretty familiar with the layout to be able to deftly move about using the systems with confidenceā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m really digging these screeniesā€¦

Itā€™s really hard to get good pictures. I tried to use my good Sony camera but they came out much worse than yours. I also bumped the camera lens on screen and scratched it a little but you canā€™t see it in VR, just be careful if you get the same idea.

1 Like

Love the new WMR 1809 update. One new thing I really like is that you can grab ā€˜appsā€™ from within the House (press the windows key on the controller) and rather than launch them, you get the option to place them as TVā€™s to make a sort of game library up. You just put the headset on and then itā€™s a good reminder of what to play. Cool.

1 Like

@fearlessfrog will you play Bridge Crew with me when my goggles come in?

3 Likes

Of course. Iā€™ve been working on this comedy Picard English accent for the longest time, donā€™t want it to go to waste! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, i have 1070Oc too with I5 8400 and 16gb ddr 4 and ssd.

Can you share your graphig settings ?

Im intrested how you get 45fps solid with 1.6 PD (i just read your older post in this thread )

orginal odyssey here, lots nicer than my rift (still have that too)

But would like to get some help with settings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @haukka81. I run with these DCS settings and am happy with them:

To get to 45 fps (I turn reprojection off in SteamVR, keep the Video override to 100% and just use PD 1.5 from within DCS) you also have to use the VR Mod here: DCS VR Shaders Mod (now with instructions!)

My i5 is overclocked to 4.5GHz as well. If I had a better GPU Iā€™d push up some MSAA x2 but these keep the 1070 pretty toasty in VR.

2 Likes

Do you know if 1809 WMR handles ultrawide monitors better when using the desktop ā€œappā€? I think they need to curve it like virtual desktop does.

I donā€™t know. Where I have multiple monitors hooked up it allows me to toggle which one I see in the top left with an icon. Itā€™s not ideal but itā€™s free. I still use Virtual Desktop in WMR anyway, but the Desktop app is handy for quick launching stuff (especially as the mouse integration is ok).

I like that when you put the headset on that you can ignore the hand controllers and use the mouse instead. The right mouse button does the ā€˜move jumpā€™ and the mouse wheel rotates position - neat.

That will work out well. You wonā€™t be able to see them, but I have been growing my Capt. Kirk sideburns for when the goggles get here.

1 Like

I just got my shipping notification! Looks like I will have the headset by Friday! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I now own two Odyssey Plusā€™s - howā€™s that for obsessive. :crazy_face:

I bought at the physical Microsoft store about 12 days or so ago, mainly so I could take it back if I didnā€™t like it. Yesterday I phoned the store about the sales discount and they said I could come in and theyā€™d credit the $200. Cool.

I phoned again a bit later, as was lazy and didnā€™t want to look up the store hours, but I got someone else who then said that they ā€˜only give the sale credit if itā€™s in stock at that storeā€™. I said, ā€˜well, thatā€™s a bit dumb as I could order online where it is in stock and just return the store one regardlessā€™, to which they replied ā€˜I guess. Sure. Byeā€™. That got me twitchy Iā€™d make a trip to the store and then not get my discount unless I made a fuss.

Sooo. Ordered another one yesterday, got shipping info today that it comes tomorrow (I suspect from the store that has no stock, dunno, Fedex puts the location the same). Iā€™ll return the ā€˜oldā€™ one tomorrow to the store and get the ā€˜newā€™ one the same day. Kind of odd situation, but I guess itā€™ll work out. Like HMDā€™s that pass in the night etc. :slight_smile:

4 Likes