Our Samsung Odyssey (+) first impressions, tips, and tricks...

Howdy! First time VR simmer here. Have been following this thread as my guide to purchasing my SO+. Really appreciate all the info from everybody! Now I really got to try VR with the brand new SO+, though the sensation was great, the massive nausea was almost unbearable, especially with racing games (tried Dirt Rally and Project Car 2). Is that normal for new users? Will it pass?
Also tried XPlane 11. The FPS was quite poor. Without VR, I got about 42. With VR, only 20 something. Also got the nausea, though not as bad as in racing. Probably because the change of view was not as fast. But the FPS was definitely not working. I have a 1080TI, though a limited i5 2500K OC 4.5GHz. This should get me better than 20 FPS. No?
Another thing - is it just me or does the scale of things (particularly the cockpit, seats, instruments, etc) look small to you, i.e. they feel smaller than should be?
Thanks!

Hi , it will go away. First weeks were pain , but now nothing can give bad feeling to me.

So you get used to it and it fades away (and best in there feeling too when brain learns that this is fake)

But take small steps , you be fine

For me, Dirt Rally was really bad on the nausea. Like really, really bad. I havenā€™t really tried it beyond the first week but donā€™t expect it to pass.
The only person who I have seen VRā€™ing Dirt Rally and not getting nauseous was my girlfriendā€™s little brother (12 years old).

I was a bit nauseous in flight sims as well (DCS and Elite) the first time, but it soon got better.

I think how bad it is at first may be age related, but most people get over it within a few days. Even a retired guy in my DCS helicopter group got used to VR, though it took him a full week. If it doesnā€™t get better after a week, return your headset.

Some tips against nausea:

• Make sure the room is cool. Better have it a bit too chilly than too warm.
  • Keep your nose free (i.e. fold away the noseguards to the top) (maybe less an issue on the O+ than on the original Odyssey)
  • Donā€™t make too many roll/yaw movements, take some time to look around before starting movements
  • Donā€™t sit in VR for too long. If you feel a little weird, take it off before itā€™s too late and youā€™re feeling bad for the rest of the day

Good tips. Yaw and translating left and right seem to be the most nausea inducing movements. And yeah, if you start developing cold sweat or if you start feeling the need to yawn a lotā€¦those are pretty good indicators that your starting the first stages of motion sickness.

1 Like

Thanks guys, especially Freak, for the elaboration! I surely will give it more try. Just was really frustratedā€¦ I donā€™t develop cold sweat, but felt like throwing up. Suspect itā€™s something to do with the delay in visual from what the brain expects to see when the head moves, however subtle that might be. And the scaleā€¦ No one feels the scale strange, really?

1 Like

Also, to add to all the good advice above, you really need to turn down the graphics settings to improve the frame rate. Turn it all down to close to minimum and then, when everything is smooth in VR, start increasing the settings again one at a time until you find the happy medium point where your system can deliver a good enough frame rate while still giving you reasonable graphics.

The motion sickness will definitely go away with a little time and perseverance. If you start feeling ā€˜offā€™ then remove the headset and do something else for awhile.

1 Like

Just to make sure, have you had your IPD measured by an optometrist, and then set the Odyssey to that value?
You should add the 2 numbers the optometrist gives you.

Having worked for military flight simulators I can give you a simple answer to why you feel nauseous.
It all has to do with a primary instinct deep in our genes.
Iā€™m not kidding. We had a few pilots discarded for ā€œphysical incompatibilityā€ā€¦

It has to do with poisonous edibles.
Again, Iā€™m not kidding.

We have this genetic safety ā€œswitchā€ that if we are perceiving movement with our eyes BUT NOT with our inner ears we have eaten something thatā€™s making our ā€œhead spinā€. Therefore we must eject it. Therefore to nausea->vomit response.

Simulation (and especially those with Full Head VR) throw that genetic safety switch a curve ball.

In fact it makes our eyes perceive a movement that our bodies cannot confirmā€¦ Hence " OMG poison! Vomit!ā€™

Now I experienced that first hand and noticed another funny thing- which explains why a 12 years old gets it better than usā€¦ Urhmā€¦ experienced people. :smile:

And thatā€™s just that experience.

The more your body can relate to something your brain see the more it gets ā€œreadyā€ for it triggering a harder safety vomits switch response.

I drove my car a bazillion kilometers and my body knows exactly how to react to longitudinal and latitudinal accelerations.
In the same way I rarely flew a plane ā€œin commandā€.
So when I tried the oculus rift I had no problem with flying / space games but was murdered by my body response to racing games.
See what I mean? The little brother of @Freak girlfriend has (hopefully) very little idea of what driving (in control) entice and so his response is literally nonexistent.

Add to that frames per secondā€¦ To keep it simple just letā€™s say that, the more a game is laggy in VR headset the more our genetic response is triggered. It just adds to the ā€œOMG whatā€™s happeningā€.
So try to have a fluid game, before a good-looking game.

Since Iā€™mā€¦ wellā€¦ Not so young anymore I remember the wave of nausea that first person shooter games brought to the world.

Doom, Mortal Coil, Corridor 7ā€¦ Yeah go read peopleā€™s reaction in gaming magazineā€™s mail sectionsā€¦ :slight_smile:

So yeahā€¦ Sorry for the wall oā€™text.

6 Likes

Good wall of text!! Informative and pertinent to the subject at a hand.
I was just at the optometrist getting my IPD checked. Glad I did. I can avoid the visit to the toilet time call Ralph and Earl :).
I wonder if anyone can post how to edit the file to enable reprojection?
Having an absolute BALL dogfighting in the O+. Fishbeds are easy meat when flying the Sabre. Who knew?!?

1 Like

Thanks, Paul, Freak. And great insight, komemiute! That makes so much sense to me. I was actually wondering whether I would get ā€œdullā€ in actual driving or real world physical reaction to motions if I got used to the VR simming, because thatā€™s how you get used to it - cutting off the natural reaction. But I guess itā€™d be worth it since thereā€™s no way I would drive a real fighter jet :slight_smile:

I did have my PD measured, but I doubt the accuracy of the reading from the headset. Maybe better to adjust it by feeling? It does end up close to the prescription, though not exact.

1 Like

My first full-motion simulator was a very early phase 3 DC-10 sim. The visuals were out of sync with the motion by a tiny fraction. I didnā€™t get sick but had I not forced an early break I would have. Like everything else, you quicly become accustomed to the sensation.

Reading your very interesting explanation of motion sickness with regards previous experiences in life ingrained into your bodies senses makes perfect sense.

Iā€™ve never flown a plane in my life, I got the Rift last year and was ready for the motion sickness Iā€™d been warned could happen, well I never got a hint of any problems and took to it like a duck to water. A few weeks ago I got Project Cars2 and it took me exactly 2 minutes to be in a right mess. It took me a long time to settle down and even now after many attempts I still get wobbly.

The body is a funny thing?

1 Like

Same experience I had!

Elite Dangerous or DCS? Pffft, a breezeā€¦

Assetto Corsa or War Thunder? BLEARGH! :face_vomiting:

Need a spatial disorientation simulator? Spend a couple of hours in Mission ISS. I seem to have drawn well in the motion biological lottery, but the ISS sim will cause the room to spin given enough time in mission :smile: Well worth the discomfort IMO.

https://www.roadtovr.com/nasas-mission-iss-impressively-detailed-view-life-zero-gravity/

Tearing my hair out here - my X-Plane VR is totally unplayable right now and I have no idea why. I deleted my X-Plane preferences, pushed all the sliders to the left, removed all plug-ins, but when I enter the sim in VR I get about 2FPS and the headset doesnā€™t even activate at that level. Updating my NVidia drivers right now. This kind of frustrating bug will wear you outā€¦been working on it for two hours now. I also updated X-Plane, but I was having the problem before that. I also checked my Steam VR settings and just put everything on auto to see if it was doing some crazy super sampling or somethingā€¦but I donā€™t think that is it either.

Edited

You might have seen this. Not sure if not having a Steam build affects SteamVR, but perhaps.

I donā€™t think it is an issue with the beta. Something is not playing right between WMR, SteamVR, and X-Planeā€¦I just canā€™t pin down what it is.

To eliminate X-Plane as the culprit, Iā€™m doing a clean XP11 install on another drive and weā€™ll see if I still have a problem. I was playing some Fallout 4 VR last night (insanely awesome) so I know overall my system is running fine.

Usually XP and VR have been my least ā€œproblem childā€ simā€¦so it is odd that Iā€™m running into a problem now.

So it is definitely something with my full install going on. I just installed the XP11 demo and VR is working fine in there. I must have some setting or plug-in still conflictingā€¦

ā€¦aaaaandā€¦we have a winner! SkyMaxx Pro is the culprit. Something not happy with X-Plane. Disabled and Iā€™m back in business. Whew.

3 Likes

Still trying to figure out what will work best with X-Plane. Youā€™d think direct observation would be easy :thinking: Itā€™s always hard to know what in-game settings tank performance the most though without spending the whole day fiddling with them. And of course, any setting is going to be both scenery and aircraft complexity dependent (and sometimes weather!). Makes for a challenging equation.