Persian Gulf for DCS World (formally known as Straits of Hormuz)

W O W !!! This is Early for DCS, :slight_smile:

Am downloadingā€¦ looking for updated f111 reference in patch notes

1 Like

Im downloading the closest map to Qatar I will ever have! Yay!

So as soon as the patch went live I unplugged everything from my PC and drove up to my new house with PC on the front passenger seat (its Watercooled and I worry) Got to the new house a 20 minute drive to realise in my haste I forgot the bloody keys. 1 return journey later I have probably downloaded as much in 2 minutes here than an hour at the old place. Currently grabbing update at 4.5 Mb sec instead of 400Kb/s YAAY :slight_smile:

3 Likes

dcs

Currently Iā€™m getting around 7 MB/s while seeding at 1 MB/s, but I think Iā€™m hitting their limit as my DL speed usually goes to 10MB/s (for example in Steam).

Chicago??

1 Like

Arghā€¦ I had laboriously sucked down the almost nine gigs of update, it took a LONG time to finish. That last megabyte just would not trickle in. And then zzzzzzzip it unpacked and ran andā€¦

Another thirteen motherloving jiggerbytes to suck down! F me for being a cheapskate and settling for a paltry 20mbit line. (sorry for the profanity but well, emotions and such)

So what are folks flying in that new map tonight?

What modules are compatible yet?

I just fired it up to check if the performance was good. Iā€™m getting about the same performance as NTTR, 100+ away from the cities, about 60-65 flying low over dubai. Pretty impressive. Obviously this is severely dependent on your own settings and hardware, but I would expect performance similar to what you get with NTTR.

First thing I noticed was they tweaked some lighting with the strobes. It made my harrier and M2k look like a techno rave party inside the pit.

My understanding is this was released under the stable branch, so all of them?

I think its only released under the open beta ā€¦ but you should be able to fly what ever modules you have installed in the open beta

In fact you should be quite easily be able to switch your install from beta to stable branch and back. All hail king @SkateZilla!

Respectfully, I disagree. The maps take a lot of time, effort and funding to create. Funding is the big one here. My personal opinion, FWIW, is that ED already gives away the base product which consists of two aircraft and a very nice, detailed map. Anything above and beyond that, content wise, I fully expect to pay for.

We have to remember that a high fidelity combat flight sim such as DCS will always be catering to a small niche market. That means that we have to pay more to get the content we crave for. The only way around that would be to make DCS World more attractive to the masses, and that means dumbing things down quite considerably. I donā€™t think any of us really want that?

3 Likes

I Will tell you how this will happen, and how ALL MODULES will be released, and how itā€™s been since December 2013 .

Nothing NEW will ever just be released Directly to the Release Branch.

F/A-18C/Persian Gulf/Any Upcoming Modules Will Release as Early Access on the Open Beta Branch First.

Once The Open Beta Build is in a State that is considered stable, that Version will migrate to Release Branch,
This is Affected by DCS WORLD as a Whole, not just release State of the Module in Question (F/A-18C, Persian Gulf, Etc)
As there are many things being added to DCS World w/ Every patchā€¦

So, if you want Module on DAY 1 of Early Access, then DCS Open Beta is what you will need.

You can Easily Convert to From Release to Open Beta (and Back Again), using Command Line Instructions:
[url]GUIDE / INFO : DCS Updater Usage, Version Numbers, Module IDs - General Tutorials - ED Forums

If you do NOT want to use CommandLines, or having problems doing so, thereā€™s a 3rd party GUI Here, that makes it Easy as Clicking a Button:
[url]The DCS Updater GUI Utility - DCS Mods - ED Forums

Outside of that, Thereā€™s no point in debating any further about which branch it will come out first on and why.

If you donā€™t want to run OpenBeta Branch, thatā€™s entirely your decision, you will have to wait for the new DCS World Build w/ the Module to be deemed Stable and Moved to the Release Branch.

That being Said, the Question has been Asked and Answered w/ Nearly Every New Module, and the Answer has been the same Since December 2013,

Thereā€™s no need for a continued debate.

1 Like

You are copy pasting that into a lot of threads today, arenā€™t ya? Good work m8, keep it up O7

holy mother of god the persian gulf map is pretty! Sadly the traffic tankers are only props, they did not react to mavericks, rockets and gunfire at all though i did manage to lock it with a mav.

Harrier mavs by the way seem to be fixorized.

Well I love it very much :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think the lights in the pit is a known issue, seems to be noted on the patch notes.

Well, Im oncerned that the $$ maps cause fracturing of the community. After I posted, another idea came to mind of how toll toads are paid for - after the road is paid for then it is opened up for free. I paid for NTTR & PG and have purchased modules & maps for others. I do love DCS. Back when I raced rFactor it was nice to have all those tracks available w/o extra cost. Glad to hear PG is released - I need to finish my cockpit!

I have to break in the CTRL, C, V Buttons on my new keyboard.

2 Likes