Persian Gulf for DCS World (formally known as Straits of Hormuz)

You might try lobbing some specific questions to the developer (not sure if they have already been asked and answered or not though)…

1 Like

DCS is the one sim I fly regularly like every day regular. For all its limitations I have only ever given Operation Flashpoint more hours and I played that constantly for 10 years :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am fully on board with wanting a full fledged ATC system, immersion is key for a simulator, like VR, you need the sounds as well, not just engines, but chatter and communications. The Hornet is going to push some things on the ATC front, and I think it will help the core game as well. I would love a system that even players could man, of course I want airforceproud95 making vids in DCS World :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All my questions and suggestions have been posted in the linked threads.

Of course I don’t need answers to all of them, but I admit that I would feel considerably better if I only knew that at least someone at ED read them and acknowledged that work is done in that regard. Or make clear that those things are out of scope and we can stop waiting and hoping.

@NineLine now that would be perfect, but I will be happy with way less.

1 Like

I think you are doing a fantastic job communicating with the community,It’s beyond great to get continued,regular updates on the sim we love. Thank You very much.

2 Likes

Frankly, ED’s implementation of VR in DCS World revitalized by interest in flight simming in general. The fact that they jumped straight in and also didn’t just go the Steam VR route but supported the Oculus Rift directly, has made for a second to none VR experience. It is the best out there in that regard.

People will always find things to complain about, or focus on things that are not so great or missing altogether. That, to a certain degree is human nature. However, sometimes you have to take a step back and appreciate the bigger picture. We never had it so good IMHO.

3 Likes

I think nobody argues with that. Of course DCSW is improving, and of course DCSW is the best flightsim ever, in almost all aspects.
I want to make absolutely clear that there is no reason whatsoever to defend ED from anything I say. I am NOT attacking DCSW or ED, I want to provide a point of view in order to help improve the sim.
That means that I mainly talk abouy things that still need some work. I know it sometimes seems like I am ignoring the huge improvements there are in many aspects. I can assure you that I don’t. I just don’t focus on the things that are perfect already since they don’t need any fixing.

@NineLine
I read through the linked threads again and I honestly think most of the content is still valid.
Of course I also notice that you can sometimes feel my frustration in those posts so if you want I can copy the most important stuff out of there and post them again for your convenience.
But I would humbly ask to maybe read through those threads again (only takes 5 minutes or so) and consider those questions for an upcoming Q&A session.

As I said I am not going to bash ED. I never did and won’t start.

1 Like

Case in point is Wags doing a Q&A with a vlogger who signs off every video, “Please don’t forget to click the Like button below, or tell me to go ■■■■ myself.” :grinning:

2 Likes

All the maps should be free.

2 Likes

I watched his stream with Crash Laobi. All 30+ minutes of it. Yes they are doing a dynamic campaign. Yes they are working on improved ATC. The current system is not going to cut it for a realistic carrier and that’s what they are now driving at.

@chipwich : hey at least the guy managed to force himself to go 30 minutes without profanity :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Blame it on people being so audiovisually oversaturated that you basically have to kick them in the gonads to get their attention…

I think his outro is hilarious compared to the usual begging for likes and subscriptions these things normally end with. “dont forget to dislike and tell me to go f&%# myself in the comments below” is profanity with a point: he wants to say something about those begging outros.

On that subject, while i’m a strong proponent of using salty language myself, this forum’s culture of strictly SFW language feels like a breath of fresh air. Somehow the absense of the freedom to curse and be rude makes for a more civilised and respectful cultural tone.

This has opened my eyes and changed my opinion on “freedom of speech” quite profoundly. But that’s perhaps a subject better discussed in an OT section.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah…we try to keep it pretty PG. I love watching You Tube videos of guys flying combat sims…but the language can be pretty sporty. I don’t really mind…but I would if my kid were watching (which is why he doesn’t have access to the internet).

PS - It is 2:40 AM here and I haven’t seen any retail Persian Gulf sightings in the wild. Is there a time that it is supposed to happen?

It’s quarter to ten in Moscow, so probably some time during the next 8 hours. Could be any minute. :innocent:

I tried the updater for the first time this morning just now and will continue to spam it until something happens. At which point I will take my PC tower to the new house and utilise my speedy new internet.
FYI while we can sometimes hit .5Mb/s download with steam downloads my son took his computer to the new house the day our fibre went live and was getting 4.5Mb download speeds. He grabbed 12 Gb of updates while we popped over for a beer and chips at the pub. It was finished an hour later when we returned :smiley: Happy days

1 Like

Tried the updater again and got an update to the updater :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile: That’s a Start! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I disagree here I think. They create revenue which ED needs to make all the changes I want. :slight_smile:

… and weeee aaaaaarrreee LIVE!

sucking down about nine gigs at 2.5mb/s which is about as fast as my line will go.

2 Likes