Persian Gulf for DCS World (formally known as Straits of Hormuz)

Is your install on an SSD drive?

It is. But Iā€™m also running a GTX 680 that @WreckingCrew was kind enough to hook me up with. Hoping prices come down just a little bit more to pick up a newer card soon.

1 Like

The mining boom is starting to subside, with some cards dropping in price up to 30%. Shouldnā€™t be too long now that we are done with this madness.

3 Likes

The boom is gone. There is only watching for sales now -

1070 Ti for $479
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137261&cm_re=gtx_1070_ti--14-137-261-_-Product

1080 for $569
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127945&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=36&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Those are as close to retail as they are going to get short of particular card sales. Time to get in on a better card for the Hornet.

2 Likes

Good to know. Iā€™m on 16GB Ram with a 1080ti.

Iā€™ve been watching very, very closely, believe me. Soonā€¦ Because lawyers are expensive.

2 Likes
2 Likes

My personal opinion is this is the best map by far. It is like playing Arma 3 with hi fidelity aircraft. I hope the CA package will be worked on to take advantage of the map :slight_smile:
Keep up the good work Norm :sunglasses:

2 Likes

For me the best thing about the Persian Gulf is the different types of airports. Much more variety, not only in terms of size but in different categories of runways. I had some legitimate concerns about the runway length when landing my Harrier on one of the fortified islands :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid that itā€™s going to be a geography lesson for me, which is a good thing. Iā€™ve not had the pleasure of a visit, not studied the area, or had the inclination to visit. Mom and did have some good stories of escaping the MD/Boeing compound in Riyadh for some RnR in Dubai. After a brief DCS tour and reading about the UAE on Wikipedia, I must say thatā€™s its fascinating.

One thing is for sure, @near_blind is ecstatic over having a playground for his beloved Tomcat.

4 Likes

I am hoping for a.nice new helicopter base for the 229th on the island with the really small strip. With a map like this some small GA planes would be nice

3 Likes

Completely agree. Iā€™d love a little military/civil cargo plane for logistics. Caravan or C212 CASA or somethingā€¦

4 Likes

You guys aware the civil aircraft mod has a flyable Cessna?

1 Like

Never heard of itā€¦LOLā€¦

1 Like

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3268436&postcount=89

Pretty much what it says on the tin (we really need dedicated greenfor and civilian coalitions ala Arma)

2 Likes

I was interested until I saw the cockpit for their Cessnaā€¦ Iā€™ll pass :wink:

1 Like

Who wants a Cessna when you can have this :

5 Likes

Little update on my struggles:
I havenā€™t changed anything yet, just tried to narrow down what might cause the crash. And it really seems to be something specific for the Persian Gulf map.

It seems it does not depend on the plane or the mission time, or the number of map objects near the player.
I tried circling over Bandar Abbas (su25t free flight) for several minutes at 500m altitude, looking and zooming toward the ground, with and without timewarp and all that, and FPS remained stable.
As soon as I fly below ~300m the sim instantly crashes.

I tried the same over empty desert/water (the TF-51 free flight) and it is the same. Everything is fine regardless how long or short I do it, whether there is grass or houses or anything else near or not. Altitude seems to be the only factor that matters.

I tried the same in the Caucasus (free flight TF-51 over Tbilisi) and the crash doesnā€™t happen. In fact as far as I remember my FPS have never been as good over the big cities than in this version, so good job ED!

It is just the Persian Gulf Map that crashes.

At some point at the weekend Iā€™ll take a look at the logs and see if I notice something weird.
Iā€™ll also try to set settings to lower, turn off grass and the like (although I am pretty sure thatā€™s not the reason, the grass is the same in the Caucasus I guess, and it looks great btw. )

95% chance itā€™s related to hardware and settings. As you get closer to the ground, the detail changes to a much higher resolution textures.

Someone else had this problem when flying around 800ft. Probably the point at which the mesh changes.

Set everything to lowest and see if it happens.

you done a repair? tried reinstalling the thing?