Pimax 5K+ and 8K VR

Does wider FOV reduce that though? I would swear that some of the Rift games that have “comfort” modes actually use some sort of FOV narrowing scheme where they dim the periphery… Or do I have that backwards?

HarHar HAR! :smiley:

1 Like

Sorta like this in Eagle Flight:

Not sure what they do in VR, but I know that at least for non-vr games, anything that’s first person and has a narrow field of view makes me motion sick. It could just be though that i’m weird, but increasing fov in those cases makes it go away. *i get sick in VR too depending on the situation, but Increasing the FoV hasn’t been an option to play with yet for me there :smiley:

Ok, looking up what normal fov is for a person I ran into this

" In VR gaming, a simulated environment experienced through the character’s first person view (FPV) is much more immersive with a larger field of view. The limitations of FOV in VR headsets stem from the need to balance the need for lightweight, thinner headsets for better ergonomics against the need for thicker, heavier lenses that require less focal distance to increase FOV. Overly large lenses may also introduce artifacts like chromatic aberration and color distortion."

Same here. FOV I could care less about, but provide me with increased clarity!

In DCS, if you don’t mind trading off some FOV for clarity then you can change the world scale a bit here. The good thing about the option is that you can do it ‘live’ in the cockpit from the pause menu (I think, been a while since I played with it).

As odd as it sounds, you can use a really low value (like ‘1’) and it’ll bring things down close for clarity. Not perfect might an easy way to play with it:

#dcs

1 Like

I have to admit - if a Pimax 5K was available at Best Buy or through Amazon right now, I’d probably scoop one up just because I’m pretty enthused about VR overall. I was not a backer, nor do I regret not being a backer, but once the early adopters iron out the kinks and the driver software matures, I’m hoping it will coincide with them becoming available.

So stupid question…do developers such as Eagle Dynamics have to write code specific to Oculus, Vive, and Pimax software…or is it up to the headset developer to interpret the code of the game or sim? I definitely wouldn’t want to get caught on the HD-DVD or BetaMax side of of the equation this time.

Pimax uses SteamVR (aka OpenVR) because the spec for that is open to any manufacturer, so it’ll play anything you have today. They still need to put a lot of work into their driver (to do their own reprojection that they call ‘BrainWarp’ lol) but essentially it means DCS sees it just as a Vive but with a really high and wide resolution.

I agree with you that I’m glad I wasn’t a backer, but by about Jan/Feb next year the dust will have settled a bit and it might be a decently priced Cockpit VR unit.

Oculus is pretty keen on the Oculus Quest stand-alone, and don’t want to talk about ‘Rift 2’ until that has had its day in the sun, so to speak. It might be 2020/2021 until they get the Rift 2 actually out in the market, which seems like a lifetime for a fast-changing gen 1 technology. The Facebook money they have means they aren’t in a rush and don’t want to do a ‘tweener’, and I think want to wait until eye tracking, foveated rendering and variable depth of field are ready for the consumer market.

2 Likes

Like you guys I definitely want to see Pimax be successful so that it continues to push other manufacturers to update their hardware. What I think I want to see before picking up another headset though is maybe one more generation of vid cards to better push the performance.

1 Like

There’s a Pimax organized meetup in L.A. today allowing backers to try out the 5K+ and the 8K to decide which one they want. Jabbers from the ED forum is going along, so it will be interesting to see what he makes of these mythical headsets from the perspective of a DCS player.

2 Likes

Here are some initial impressions:

2 Likes

Good info. Jabbers is also keen on the 5K+ versus the 8K model and is doing a video of his impressions from the demo.

Rumor is the 5K+ HMD price is going to be $699. With the base stations for tracking, that’s then north of $1000 perhaps?

As I’ll be able to walk in and try a Odyssey+ from a local Microsoft store (without RMA hassles of a Chinese product), now thinking I might go that way instead.

Hmmm. :thinking:

3 Likes

And I like the thought of inside out tracking.
No base stations.
If the Odyssey + has better resolution/clarity, than the Rift, I could also be persuaded to go that way.

2 Likes

Hang tight @fearlessfrog @Troll
I have been sitting on a first draft of an Odyssey review for about a month now.
It looks like the Odyssey+ contains some minor fixes/improvements but the base display and optics is probably largely the same, as well as the tracking and comfort.

2 Likes

Yeah…I’m tilting toward the Odyssey just from what I’ve been looking at. It just looks like a more comfy headset. I’m still in the camp that I’d rather have better resolution without the big improvement on FOV. I wish I could do a side by side comparison in person.

2 Likes

It looks like the Odyssey+ has different panels, lenses and a new case, so quite the change I think. Their claim of double the pixel’s per inch due to the new panels is intriguing but I can’t see possible, given the resolution is the same.

My local Microsoft shop is out of stock on the original Odyssey now and won’t stock more, and also say they are getting the Plus in ‘next week’ (I suspect they have no idea though, but it got me off the phone). I plan to check it out.

2 Likes

The Pimax pre-orders page is up, although their website has the dual charms of not working and when working looking like it was designed by someone that hates people:

https://www.pimaxvr.com/en/product-category/pimax-vr-hmd-en/pimax-8k-series/

Prices and summary is probably best from somewhere like here until the rush dies down a bit:

The rumors were correct:

• Pimax “8K” – $900
  • Pimax “5K” Plus – $700
  • Base Stations and controllers - $300

If you have a Vive already then that’s just for the headset, as you’ll need a SteamVR base station from somewhere to use these headsets. Pimax plan to sell these with their own controllers in a bundle, but no price as yet (and therefore no ‘complete package price’ either).

EDIT: Base Stations and Controllers price is now out, $300

They are also doing bundles for things like a RTX2080 + Hand Tracking + 5K+ but not sure if good value as the SKU for which actual 2080 it is is hard to find on a crashing website:

I’ve pre-ordered the 5K+ (put in the order in on the the first day they were taking them last week, and completed the transaction/transfer of funds once the website was updated).

Not expecting to receive my HMD until 2019 though, which sucks…but on the bright side, it allows time for the initial kinks to be ironed out before I have to deal with any of them.

Coming from a Rift CV1.

Also, two videos worth watching for comparisons of the 5K+ to the StarVR and XTOL (hint, it’s almost as good as the StarVR at a fraction of the price):

6 Likes

Looking forward to reading your observations when you get it @Buckeye.

3 Likes