PMDG DC-6 for MSFS

Great info as always Fearless!

I flew the DC6A on a freight run from Paine Field (KPAE) up to Ketchikan (PAKT). Very enjoyable, although I still need to work more on my descent planning. I guess flying a jet has made me lazy because I can just pull the power back at will with no need to worry about what it is doing to the engines.

Loading up at Paine Field. When you add weight to the cargo hold (using the tablet) you see cargo in the hold.

Behind the captain’s seat there is a useful space to store your bits and pieces… I always like to have a place to put my hat so that it doesn’t get dinged up too badly… the same goes for my David Clark headset too! (lol, I never owned a set of DC’s).

Buttoned up with 4 turning and burning.

Waiting for the FE to finish setting power for takeoff…

And we’re off!

They don’t make them like this anymore. Sometimes I feel like I was born two generations too late… of course, there is the small detail about not having perfect eyesight (so no flying career for me back then)…

The cloud layer was thick, but topped out at about 6000ft.

It wasn’t long before the cloud started breaking up (you have to love REX weather…one minute cloudy…the next it’s perfectly clear).

Flying overhead Prince Rupert airport…

Ketchikan in sight and I am still too high and fast… I turn off course to lengthen my ground track…

Turning back the other way with the airport at about 2 o’clock. Still a little high and fast. I relented and pulled back the power so that I could ‘dirty up’.

Looking much better by the time I’m on short final.

Parked…

Two of four shut down…

Time for the cargo to be offloaded while the crew heads to the bar!

So, I have to say that this is way more fun than flying a jet…well a simulated jet at least. :wink: .

6 Likes

I just found this on YouTube…. Kinda sets the mood. It all looks so antiquated to us, and yet they were pretty pleased with themselves back in 1950! The highlight for me…the Captain nonchalantly raising one eyebrow just before the squeal of the tires as they land at Midway…. Not staged at all :rofl:.

7 Likes

Excellent description Fearless. Goes a long we to help understand what’s under the hood.

3 Likes

I’d very much prefer a Constellation but I admit that this one is tempting…

For those of you on the fence, a glowing review from a 7k hr professional pilot. Let’s enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts, shall we :grin:

4 Likes

I think it is hard to find anyone that doesn’t give it a glowing review. :star_struck:

5 Likes

Maybe the kids that not find the MCDU/FMC on DC-6 will hate it :smiley:

I don’t know why… but these trends of “REAL pilot REVIEWS x” or “PROFESSIONAL pilot REACTS to Y” of late are… kinda weird.

It appears to me that people nowadays tend to be focused more on the “who” rather than the “what”.

4 Likes

So…

Is msfs a sim, now? :thinking:

2 Likes
3 Likes

That’s an easy question to solve. The soul of the machine is the what lies on the boot media :grin:

Wow, this looks really nice. Is this one of the first proper study level planes for MSFS or have I not been following things properly?

I guess some people think it adds some credibility to a review but apart from the basic fundamentals of flight, there isn’t a lot of commonality between a DC6 and an Airbus 320. If you are an A320 pilot reviewing an A320 module, I guess that could bring something to the table though?

2 Likes

I always approve of Air Hauler references… Speaking of which…I need to see where Destiny is…

1 Like

One of the best reviews (or deep dives) we ever published was by our departed friend @Cygon_Parrot on the A320… That was really enjoyable to hear his take on his daily commuter…

2 Likes

Hopefully someday he will return to our little corner of the internet.

3 Likes

Another short run from Medford OR up to Portland KPDX. After watching the tutorial videos my descent planning is better now, as is my speed control. It takes a long time to slow this thing down if you can’t just pull the power back. In case you all didn’t realize by now, I’m having a ball with this airplane.

9 Likes

Psh, another half baked rush to get a product out. When will we start getting real high quality add ons!?

J/k :slight_smile:

This looks great. Tempted to pull the trigger; good chance to give my Honeycomb throttle and yoke a proper piston powered workout…

4 Likes

You haven’t bought it yet? :pleading_face: You know you want it :wink: .

Lol… it really is excellent. It just oozes atmosphere.

2 Likes

Another great about this addon is that it simple proof that a good 4 prop vintage liner still sells!!! Not only cessnas, modern boeings/airbuses and trainers…
Hellooooooo? XP11 addon’s dev!!! are you listen?