PMDG DC-6 for MSFS

I think it was a good thing that the PMDG 737 wasn’t ready yet. There was a lot of squawking about the DC6 being an airplane that ‘nobody’ was interested in. I am sure the 73 will sell like hot cakes, but I really hope that the DC6 is a major success for PMDG.

Maybe sometime down the road they will look at doing another vintage aircraft to the same standard. A DC3/C47, C46, Connie, etc etc would all be outstanding IMHO. FWIW, I probably won’t buy the 73 when it comes. Anything vintage though, and I can’t help myself.

4 Likes

I had the same issues with Firefox. I switched over to Edge for the transaction. A bit of a pain but it isn’t the first time I have had these problems when using Firefox. It has been my browser of choice for a long time though, and old habits die hard I guess.

Last night I made some ‘spillover’ DC6 purchases…. Ketchikan Alaska scenery (the default rendition was a bit lacking) and Kodiak airport. Good destinations for freight runs from Anchorage I think. :sunglasses: … oh, and Keflavik as I think I will need to use the Blue Spruce routes to hop across the pond comfortably.

2 Likes

Bought the DC-6 last night. This is my first PMDG product, so I’m a little apprehensive about all I’ll need to learn. Their rep for detail and procedures is a solid one.

2 Likes

I think you will be fine. Definitely use the Flight Engineer. Some would say that is cheating but there was a reason this aircraft was flown and operated by three people. There is still a lot to learn of course, but I have found it quite manageable. The real challenge is learning to fly it properly. You need to stay well ahead of this airplane, otherwise you will find yourself arriving at the destination airport way too high and fast.

5 Likes

As feared, I couldn’t resist! :wink:

It’s a great module and I think it will become an old friend in all of its glorious golden age cantankerousness.

One thing I learned is that the AFE is great for flipping all those switches that you didn’t even know were there, but it can be a bit bossy. Don’t forget you can let it do it’s thing and then turn it off.

It’s a simulated smacking away the hands of the Copilot and saying, “Let me show you something”.

Very realistic!

4 Likes

I don’t have MSFS…but this is Very Tempting!! :thinking:

2 Likes

You should give MSFS a try. If you don’t want to jump in feet first then you can always do the game pass route for a month or two.

2 Likes

Flew my first hop in the Liftmaster this morning. The AFE made things so easy.
Took off from McChord AFB with some cargo, bound for Fairchild AFB nearly due East.
Crossing the Okanogan-Wenatchee Nat’l Forest at 7500ft was epic. The thermals coming off the mountains bounced us around so realistically.

My only question so far is using the A/P. I engaged the Gyropilot on the lower console, but the Autolevel toggle would not move from OFF. What did I miss?

1 Like

The gyropilot can be kind of finicky. You have to make sure the mode switch is all the way to the left ( gyro?) - not in Loc or approach mode. The airplane should be trimmed out for level flight. The gyropilot turn knob must be centered (there is a click spot for that just above the knob). The engage lever has to be down. You should then be able to switch on the gyropilot system, but I have found it to be a bit flaky.

2 Likes

patch release! use the pmdg ops apps to update it! double check later of you need to redownload the liveries for dc-6b.

Yeah, there’s a big autopilot disconnect clutch located on the pedestal that is conveniently entirely hidden by the mother of all gust locks.

Let me tell you, if that gust lock doesn’t hold the controls in a gust, it’s because there aren’t any controls anymore!

2 Likes

Hi guys, I finally got an RTX 3070 (paid too much) but it has allowed me to get MSFS going in VR to a very good level of detail and frame rate so I’m happy. I got the DC-6 and am really enjoying it. It is the first four engine aircraft I have tried. The Artificial Flight Engineer is a great idea and very useful at times. After some test flights to date I have flown from Sydney to Canberra, Melbourne to Canberra and Toronto to Washington.

8 Likes

I don’t have this yet as I’m still not quite happy with how my PC runs MSFS, but this is from one of flightdeck2sim’s videos:

3 Likes

Thanks @boomerang10. :sunglasses:

Your a god amongst men. That did it. Thanks

1 Like

That might be of some use to new DC-6 drivers.

2 Likes

Two things I just saw in that big thick thing with all the pages and diagrams and words and stuff that I usually use to keep my table from wobbling but decided to read just this once:

1. In the fake Ipad on the left side of the cockpit under one of the tabs is a realism switch for several things in the aircraft. One of them is the option to use real or not real autopilot. In not real, the Z key will engage both the “Gyropilot” switch and the Manual Autopilot Clutch handle thing….in case you generally find yourself inverted by the time you manually find and engage the handle.

I think “real” still allows you to use Z, but it only flips one of the switches. Not both.

1. Also in there is the option to keep the GPS or use the Bendix radio stack.

Unfortunately, there is no option for using the old coffee grinder 1940s type radio controls. That I’m aware of.

EDIT: Just saw @Chuck_Owl’s trip report.

That answers a lot of questions! :+1:t2:

1 Like

A little island hopping. Island tour of Oahu then landing at Kona for coffee.

7 Likes

Very neat! I landed at Kona yesterday as well…but in something a little faster. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m late to the party on this one (and haven’t commented here for a while - hi guys!) but I simply have to express to someone who understands how astonishingly amazing this aircraft is visually through the VR lens. I bought it last night, hopped straight into VR and was blown away. The whole cockpit fricken shakes and rattles on the ground at low engine rpm. Talk about immersion :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes