PointCtrl

Tried calibrating the PointCtrl today. It took me a while to understand the process, but I managed it in the end.

You start out by defining the outer limits of the cursor area, in 2D. It’s important that you set it so you can’t click outside the DCS window on your 2D screen, or DCS will lose focus and all your controllers will stop working.

You then set the same area in 3D, in the VR headset. This gives the scale factor of the cursor movement area.

Then you are presented with 5 cursors.
You point at them, where you feel they are in space, and then move your head to line up the cursor with the area you think you are pointing at, five times.
Lastly you can do an edge calibration, where you point at something off to your side and then look away from it, so this area is at the edge of your view. If the cursor moved away, you steer it back with the buttons on your FCU.

Some users have modified their FCU’s by bending the LED somewhat or making diffusors for the LED, giving it a larger body for the sensor to track.

I’m really exited about this, but at the same time it makes my new gear and flap handle controllers obsolete. With PointCtrl it’s easier and more natural to use the mouse cursor, instead of using a physical controller…
I guess I still need it for IL-2 :wink:

3 Likes

That good eh. I can’t wait! Received a tracking number yesterday.

2 Likes

I’m making a note of that so I can blame future Viggen crashes on this phenomenon. :grin:

1 Like

Alt-enter to make the mirror full screen and have the machine not draw an active desktop does save a bunch of cpu cycles and memory as well.

I haven’t used the full screen for years…
For some reason they made PointCtrl for the windowed VR mirror. Haven’t tried the full screen with it. Guess I should do that, just to see what happens.

Been getting a bunch of package tracking updates. Guess my set is on its way! Exciting!

3 Likes

W00t, just took delivery of my set! I am dog tired from work, but as soon as my wits are gathered again, I’ll be pointing like a boss!

Le update: out of the box the thing works. Not perfectly but it does do what ot says on the tin. No way am I going to wrap my head around the calibration procedure. The manual gives steps but no explanation.

Perhaps tomorrow I can get it set up just so. Need sleep first lol. One thing I know is this thing works like a charm.

The finger control units are light, and fit perfectly on a warthog stick. They do not clash. The buttons feel like quality ones and give a nice clear click when pressed.

I will be taking some stuff off from the HOTAS, such as gear, hook, etc.

Le 2nd update:

Had a good nights’ sleep, send the kids off to school, had a large cup of joe and got utterly baffled by the PointCTRL calibration procedures. The thing got worse and worse every time I tried. Oh dear. The default setting kinda works, but is slightly off as my HMD is an OG rift and not an -S.

6 Likes

Yeah, that calibration procedure probably only makes sense to MilesD :wink:

I got it after trying for a few times.

Want me to walk you through it?

I was on the discord and was walked through part of it by a very helpful guy named Deano. Thanks for the offer tho!

Turned out much of my weird results are due to interference from the window i’m looking out of. Guess having to play in the shade is another drawback. Worth it tho :wink:

1 Like

Ah, ok! Yeah, I had some interference from a ceiling lamp. My cursors stowed in the 12 o’clock high position. I asked on their discord channel and, duh! :wink:
It’s pretty much like TrackIR in that way…

Yes it is, including the jitter and such. Its not perfect, but when it works it’s so good.

1 Like

I was a little bit annoyed that the PointCtrl sensor covers the upper camera of the Rift S.
I’ve had to re-draw the play area several times, and I understand this can occur if the Rift S can’t recognize the previously drawn area. I suspect it has got something to do with the covered camera.
So, I thought, what if I just move the PointCtrl sensor, slightly? Will this throw everything out of whack?
What do I have to lose?

I tried moving the PointCtrl sensor to the side. The 3D printed sensor mount isn’t designed for this, so it’s slightly rotated and askew…
But, it works anyway.
I haven’t tried recalibrating in this position, but it works well enough anyway.
Ok, maybe the angle between where you feel your finger is, and the position of the cursor, is a bit off. But I still just move my finger until the cursor is pointing where I want it, so it doesn’t matter if it’s slightly off.

4 Likes

So, @Troll, after having used this for awhile now, do you feel it is worth the money? I’m getting near the front of the que and so it is soon going to be time to reach into my wallet :wink: .

2 Likes

I do!
It’s a really cool piece of equipment.

1 Like

Oh yes. Even though I usually only wear the one on my left hand while flying, it has quickly become indispensible. Almost as big a boost to immersion as TrickIR was when coming from hat-views. It’s that good.

I don’t regret a single penny spent at this. The things work just flawlessly.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, that’s what I wanted to hear! :sunglasses:

1 Like

We knew that.
Right, @schurem? :wink:

Right, @Troll.

One of us, one of us!

1 Like

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just recently was able to spend some time getting my PointCTRL setup running. I can’t say enough about what an improvement this is over using the mouse in VR. Furthermore, Miles provides outstanding customer support. This was money well spent.

6 Likes

Just revisiting this topic because I’ve been thinking about getting a PointCtrl…but if it uses IR type sensors…that would be a problem for my PC setup area. Light sources everywhere… :frowning: I suppose I could just use it at night. Or, I could build a garage onto my house :bulb: