Prepar3D v5

Rumor has it releasing next week…

https://fselite.net/news/lockheed-martin-prepar3d-v5-revealed-releasing-next-week/

4 Likes

Let’s the fight of civi flight sims begin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I am curious about add-on compatibility and VR performance in particular.

I am looking forward to the independent reviews :smiley:

EDIT: Rob Ainscough’s video added - and I do like what I see

1 Like

Those are my two reference points as well. Add-on compatibility is primary for me. I can’t chase add-ons much more without it feeling like a waste of money.

1 Like

I think we’ve all surpassed that point many years ago!!

I’ve never tried P3D. Having just recently dumped a couple hundred into xplane, I think I’ll be watching this from the bleachers. Either way seems like the sim market is continuing to gain some traction. FS2020, Microprose coming back, XP getting big updates, all good things for us.

3 Likes

This list is supposedly going to be updated as developers determine compatibility… For me personally, I’d say Aerosoft and ORBX are the two I’m most interested in.

https://fselite.net/originals/live-article-developer-statements-on-prepar3d-v5-product-compatibility/

1 Like

Ouch. Yeah I try not to think about all the coin I’ve spent on those things. VR kinda stopped that for me oddly enough; I’m a one-trick pony now.

1 Like

I’ll wait a while before jumping in. Hopefully PMDG doesn’t try to gouge us again.

I can just picture my CPU temps using this. Hopefully this was addressed.

I am undecided as well. I am a loyal customer of the FSX / P3D platform for about 14 years now :open_mouth: and this is the first time I am considering not jumping in.

Also because there is this other MS product lurking around the corner.

Don’t get me wrong - the v5 atmospheric effects & lighting looks cool but I will most likely wait a while and see…

1 Like

If I am not wrong we saw these atmosferic effects already in Flight Sim World.

BTW is this v5 payed upgrade like v3->v4 or is it just standard update like v4.3->v4.4?

That was exactly why I bought the FSW :+1:

Unfortunately it did not survive long enough to see the trueSky develop into something useful in the sim :sleepy:

I am curious to see how well it blends with the P3Dv5 architecture (so far no life weather or clouds shadows; will HiFi weather engine adapt to use trueSky as render engine…?).

As for the pricing, I am expecting the same philosophy - Academic license 60 gold and Professional 200 gold.

1 Like

Yup, that cloud tech was in FSW, still looks inferior to the one from FS2020 to be honest.

2 Likes

They stripped FSW off of the TrueSKY so they could implement it in P3Dv5 :slight_smile:

just joking, isn’t there any ‘change log’ for FSW?

Had the same thought. If MSFT would weaponize FS2020 they’d crush ED too. Not that I wish ill on ED but just imagine the possibilities (simply flying Hornets from El Centro (or whereever) out of El Centro) – assuming the API allows creativity outside vehicle creation that is. And their net code was as good == big deal.

Oh, and MSFT doesn’t get greedy? :expressionless:

2 Likes

I mean I don’t think its really fair to say that about FS2020 when FSX had the chance for 15 years and didn’t do it. I’m sure tacpac will make an appearance or something like it. FS2020 is getting tons of hype right now, I hope it meets the expectations.

Also I think P3dv5 isn’t getting a lot of attention because it really isn’t all that impressive. The videos I’ve seen show some decent looking clouds, but the terrain and autogen look pretty dated.

I’m curious to see what FS2020 has behind the curtain of all these NDA’s and super hush closed trials. For our sake, I hope its the real deal. Love to see flight sims go to the next level.

2 Likes

I don’t know. The VRS Superbug is pretty nice systems wise, but there is a lot more to a combat sim than aircraft and systems. Like surface to air threats. DCS has been doing it a long time, and I’ve yet to see anything out of Microsoft or LM that comes close to something like the F/A-18C Hornet. I’m talking the complete package, including the flight model, systems depth, sounds, 3D modeling, carrier ops, and VR compatibility. And this is to the point that ex hornet pilots are getting active in the community and seeing it as something more simulation and less of a game. Sure, the other two companies have the financial wherewithal, but have yet to throw serious resources at it, other than the WW2 spin-offs of at least a decade ago.

2 Likes

It seems that the v5 has been received with mixed feelings, judging from what I read. At least by us, casual simmers.

As far as VR goes, there are some rather serious issues like one eye lag/stutters/flickers, trueSky not working in VR, etc. For details check this thread on avsim:

3 Likes

Excellent point. Yeah, I tried to qualify my comment with some very important stipulations. One’s they, as you point out, will probably not put the effort into.

1 Like

This week, I removed P3D v4.5 for two reason. v5 was releasing and my v4.5 was corrupted and needed a rebuild. After reading the comments from users who made the transition to v5, its not looking favorable. Things like VR not being compatible with the visual enhancements, despite LM saying it was fully VR ready. If VR is the future, why are devs not making it a priority for optimization?
The other is that I keep hearing the word “rushed” being used. As B12 said, LM was trying to get out ahead of MSFS2020. Seems they missed the mark and this should have been just an upgrade to v4.5 instead of a full on paid version. Oh well, time to start reinstalling 4.5

3 Likes

Yeah - I’m waiting this one out for awhile. I’ve watched the videos and some of the weather and lighting seems a bit improved, but I’m not ready to leap yet. X-Plane lighting (both environmental and internal/cockpit stuff) has spoiled me immensely. Together with ortho and custom scenery…I almost always fire up X-Plane instead of P3D.

2 Likes