Racing Sim Screenshots and Videos 2020

I definitely like Imola in Assetto Corsa!

1 Like

The handling in F1 2020 is a HUGE step up from 2019 and previous (on a wheel). Before it felt like steel wheels on a marble surface; if you even hinted about touching the throttle out of a slow corner, hello wheelspin! Now, though, you can actually glance at the accelerator and it wonā€™t kill you.

Previously, I donā€™t think I ever got past the first or second race of a season before calling it quits. Now Iā€™m on to the fourth race in the career mode after trying to tune the AI to my level through a half dozen races.

Sure, the physics arenā€™t up to Assetto Corsa or rFactor 2 levels, but at least itā€™s both drive-able and fun now. If you have the option, dive straight into 2020 and leave the previous versions behind.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been tinkering with F1 2020 in vorpX a bit. It works, but the feeling is not quite as natural as using native VR in Assetto Corsa with the RSS F1 Hybrid 2020 mod. Watching videos and chatting in forums, it looks like most people drive F12020 in T-cam view, which I loathe. I understand that the T-cam view is more competitive, but it feels so arcade to me. Iā€™m expecting Martin Brundle and Will Buxton to start commentating on how I am 10 cm off an apex. Driving an F1 car in VR on the other hand, really puts you in the cockpit and encourages you to attack the circuit, as you would IRL.

1 Like

I had about the same amount of success in 2019. The head tracking just feels a little laggy. If you keep your head fairly stationary or only turn slowly and smoothly youā€™re fine, but quick jerks are a bad idea.

While I would absolutely LOVE usable VR in the F1 series, Iā€™m OK with 2D for now. The ability to actually race against the real field with the real rules in the real calendar (or what it once resembled at least) is enough for me right now.

1 Like

Yeah, you make a good point Roo. I worked for a couple of hours today trying to tweak vorpX and F1 2020 to get an acceptable combination, but in the end, it paled in comparison to a native VR simulation. I too went back to a 2D setup, so that I could enjoy the F1 season in all its glory. Iā€™m amazed at all the little details that Codemasters included. It gives one a new appreciation for whatā€™s going on in the RL garages during a race weekend.

1 Like

I have tried numerous times to use TrackIR in both racing sims and Arma. I just canā€™t do it. While it works great for me for flying, in the others the disconnect between where my view is, where I feel my body at, and where I am going is too difficult to get good performance.

In Arma I couldnā€™t hit a thing, and in racing I miss apexes and collide or spin off about 3x more. Of course, when Iā€™m actually driving I donā€™t turn my head much unless Iā€™m parking, either, I move my eyes and use the mirrors and keep my head locked forward 90% of the timeā€¦and even then Iā€™m not racing. :wink:

1 Like

2 videos of some good racing I had with the AI.

First up the last few laps at Red Bull Ring National.

Second a full race at Brands Hatch GP. Good fun with the AI.

3 Likes

For me, ACā€™s major flaw was you could race with AI. OR you could race with people.
You couldnā€™t do both.

So if I have 1 or 2 friends who want to race ACā€¦itā€™s an empty field. PCars, rfactor, F1ā€¦all of these have no trouble mixing AI and human players in MP. But AC found it a bridge too far. Really limited my usage of it.

Enjoying the finer things in life! :sunglasses: Assetto Corsa + Pacific Coast Highway + VR (G2) ā€¦

This is my mansion now ā€¦

7 Likes

Looking good! (+VR support) ā€¦

July 1st release.

5 Likes

Looking forward to trying Miami. VR support will be a must if it wants to compete with the others. I hope that they werenā€™t kidding when they said that the physics model has been improved. AMS2 has the new incredibly fun driving car. 2022 skins available on Race Dept. Itā€™s lacking tracks though. A lot of them.

My brother and I kicked around the idea of a road trip and a friend who lives 6 miles from the Hard Rock offered us a place to crash. But it was $1000 for Sunday only ticket on Seat Geek and Iā€™ve already been to 2 F1 races. So it wasnā€™t a bucket list item.

3 Likes

VR was beautiful in that Mudspike Dirt Rally 2.0 rally we had a couple years ago. Iā€™m hoping it will translate well into F1 racing. :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, I long ago decided that an F1 race, even one that close to me, would be if I won the lotto or inherited a ton of money only.

1 Like

Should we make a new thread for 2022? Im thinking of posting some.racing screenshots in the future. We gotta stop living in the past, man! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. Go for it.

2 Likes