RAZBAM AV-8B Harrier II

That’s a fascinating read on Human Factors, Absolutely avoidable and a catastrophic incident with grave consequences for those involved.

@Deacon211 I contacted Razbam a while back but never heard from them, so alas, can’t really help you there. Although perhaps they read this forum :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Snark. No worries. They have my help if they want it. If they have another source, then I look forward to trying the old girl out. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
6 Likes

@Deacon211 apparently they have “1st hand sources”. He didn’t come out and say they had a pilot involved, which means he’s either being unintentionally cryptic, or they don’t have one. I’m going to assume they don’t want to mess with paying a former Harrier pilot for their input. I would imagine the profit margins are already slim on these modules.

If I were them, I would like to add as much credibility to my module as possible. Look at what it did for the MiG21. That thing was more F’d up than a football bat and became one of the most popular modules (still making FM changes this far down the road), largely due to the fact, in my opinion, that an actual MiG21 pilot was involved.

Oh well, I’m still buying it.

1 Like

LOL, well then the joke is on them. I usually help out on these things for free!

All joking aside. Hopefully you are incorrect and they have an old Harrier dude to help out and one who has flown the plane more recently than me. :slight_smile:

It’s all good. I’m happy to help, but as long as there is finally a decent Harrier sim out there, I don’t care how they do it.

Besides, I’m right in the middle of CRJ ground school right now…I’ve got more systems numbers in my head than I know what to do with! :grin:

2 Likes

Lol, I usually find that I reach a point where you add one piece of information into my fuddled brain but another (probably obscure) item drops out. I’m not looking forward to my next initial for that reason. This stuff was much easier when I was in my early thirties ;).

2 Likes

Ain’t it the truth!

My buddy used to say that he had a three pea brain.

His mind was like a straw. You could put three peas into it. But that fourth pea was pushing something out the other side.

3 Likes

The iceberg can only hold so many penguins…

7 Likes

Is this your classroom? Seems complicated… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Yes indeed. As for complexity, it really isn’t all that hard to operate. The biggest challenge is keeping up with the automation because there is a lot going on in the background that you would have to do for yourself on other airplanes. I thought the Challenger was highly automated, but it has nothing on the Global.

Sorry our schedules didn’t match up.

2 Likes

And my iceberg is melting! … must be global warming :wink:

1 Like

Another startup video?

2 Likes

Gotta be close now…

Ehhhh. I don’t think so, though it depends what soon means to everyone.

Everything we’ve seen so far has been been of fairly basic functions and systems.

Startup, landing, etc. Even the combat systems we’ve seen have been fairly simplistic: CCIP unguided ordnance, the gun, and rockets. I vaguely remember some AUTO delivery but I’m not 100%.

What have we not seen, then? No sort of smart or guided weapons, no air to air employment, no air radar, no ground radar, SAR mapping, etc. We’ve seen some shots of the flir but I think mostly raw footage and nothing of actual tactical usage.

I think there’s still a lot of major systems, particularly complex ones at that, yet to be completed.

Full disclosure, I’ve been busy and gone a lot lately so I may have very well missed items they’ve shown. Im also on data at the moment so I havent seen the most recent video above and don’t know what it shows besides the title. But I think we still have a long ways to go.

2 Likes

The version we’re getting is the NA, so no radar, but otherwise I essentially agree. There’s a lot of avionics functionality I’ve yet to see, much more than exists on something like the Mirage. I’d say we’ve still more than a few months left.

Doh. I must have mixed that up, I thought we were getting the one with the radar.

But yeah I still think it will be a while.

1 Like

Do they really plan to show everything the AV-8B offers?

I believe stated plan is once ED does the lifting for the APG-73 and ground radar in general, Razbam will do the work for a B+.

4 Likes

Gotta be close now…

Yea don’t even bother. It’s got MFD’s. It’s got a HUD. It’s got bombs hanging from the wings. It takes off vertically. Like in straight up into the air. The 2000 shipped without smart bombs working. Hey, what are you doing? Why do you have a bucket? Is that cold water? Put that down I am serious…

6 Likes