RAZBAM AV-8B Harrier II

So it does different things in different jets.

In the F/A-18 it’s function is similar to the DMS in the A-10/F-16. Essentially it shifts TDC Priority (the clit mouse) controls between the four primary displays: the HUD, the Left and Right DDIs (MFDs), and the MPCD (Map screen). Additionally, depending on which MFD, and what that MFD is displaying, it has additional functions. For instance, say your TDC Control is set to the MPCD. (which would be castle switch down), and you press down again. This automatically flips the MFD display from the default HSI, to the Situational Awareness display, which is a sort of fusion between your radar, TGP, RWR, and map. If you had the HSI selected on your left DDI, and you castle switched left, the same thing would happen.

If you have your A/A radar selected on the right screen, for example, using the castle switch will then command the close combat modes for the radar. E.G. Up Commands Vertical Scan, etc.

Finally if you’re in CCIP mode for any sort of munition, selecting the HUD as the TDC Priority display will activate AGR (Air Ground Ranging) radar mode.

Tl;dr, it’s highly situational. For further reference, CMS is controlled by a hat on the throttle, and what we consider the “CMS” button on the stick is actually a quick select for air to air weapons.

The Harriers seems to be a quick select for specific sensors.

3 Likes

Yep, I’m going to need that Thrustmaster F/A-18 and AV-8B new grip pre-order button (or ideally new combo package) real soon…

3 Likes

So clearly all I had to do was look at the diagram you posted to answer my question. It is Friday and I have had a pint so I apologize.

I had read in a couple places mention of the castle switch and assumed the term referred to the thumb switch on the left side lower of the stick. Now that I look at the diagram clearly it is the Rook switch (my alliteration, and much better in my opinion) top right for Sensors.

So it is the A/A switch that doesn’t look that ergonomic to me, or at least just different than how the falcon/warthog switches are laid out.

Also - McD lays it out very different. Should be interesting.

Edit: Thanks @near_blind that explains it for me.

1 Like

So I looked at that photo again and two things jumped out at me (other than a beautiful night for carrier ops)

1. Whats with the leather gloves? Are Brits incapable of driving Spits/Triumphs/Harriers without gloves?

2. He has figures and maths jotted directly onto his knee. This is what my knee would say: LEFT HAND FORWARD GOES FAST

2 Likes

Ok, so France … I get it. :wink:

2 Likes

The gloves are a tradition in British military aviation. What you can’t see from this photo are the “L” and the “R” stitched into the back of them…

5 Likes

Yeah i can see how that could get confusing. :wink:

Also, once the Harrier got the Litening I’m assuming it changed this flow quite a bit. Now you could spot the target and designate it from much farther away. I also assume that you can hand off the designation to the TV for the AUTO solution and perhaps even self (or buddy) lase and use the LST portion of the DMT/ARBS for a delivery.

Still, it should make for many good moments of “switch piggery” where you totally screw away your designation attempts and sling your bombs way off target. Our squadron had a golden pig for the award’s latest recipient to put money in. It helped with the next squadron party.

8 Likes

One last thing and I’ll shut up.

I think if TM does the stick well, you’ll find it pretty comfortable and easy to use. The Castle switch (which if you read above you’ll see that you’ll be getting a lot of use out of) has a good solid feel and throw with those castellations on it.

The A/A switch may look funny in the pics, but it also has a good feel to it in all four directions (and down) and, in the radar bird, down and all four directions.

Having never tried the actual 16 stick, I don’t know how it actually compares naturally.

9 Likes

@Deacon211 Thank you very much for sharing your insights!

2 Likes

You have a license to keep giving these sweet sweet AV-8B info posts as much as you like. :slight_smile: They are great, love em.

9 Likes

Concur…

2 Likes

Paging @komemiute for possible livery work in the future lol

6 Likes

That is going to make him blush. Gah. I might have to stay off teamspeak for a week :slight_smile:

That being said, if there is one non-military guy in our midst to know his alphabet and numbers i amd sure @near_blind is right there with them.

I knew there was a term for what i tend to do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heh, love it!

Fascinating stuff on reddit from Zeus67 of RAZBAM regarding the TDC having the various modes. I wonder if we’re going to look back and realize how nice the A10C was in terms of IFFCC, ergonomics and pilot load.

2 Likes

hehehehehe…

I should tell you sometime about some of the absurdities in the Mudhens HOTAS and UI layout. lets just say it has 2 shifted layers for all of the HOTAS, and it is all dependant on which screen, and of course long/short presses all mean different things, and a shifted des is different than and un-shifted des, etc… etc… etc… Its like learning a hodgepodged together UI that has a bazillion edge cases thrown in, that just happen to be some of the most common things we do.

Case in point, entering MGRS grids. requires 3 button presses to get into MGRS mode on a steerpoint. Then if you just so happen to be in a different Alphabetical grid, you have to use INC/DEC buttons to get the letters right before you can enter the grid itself. Then after grid is entered, its another 2 presses before you can enter the elevation, and then if you want to transmit it across FDL its another 2. And thats not including if you want the elevation to be accurate, if its not provided… One of my biggest pet peeves lol.

9 Likes

If you think military HOTAS is user friendly, well yes it is after you have used it for a few years and have made all of the mistakes and have developed techniques from messing things up to keep yourself from finger porking everything away. At least that has been my experience in the strike eagle. It making sense?

After enough time it makes sense cause thats the only way you know how to make it work.

Also I can get into details of HAT (Height above target) sources and hierarchies like what Deacon is talking about above as well. Its a pretty big part of our training and something that most sims do not touch on.

The Viggen was quite fun because it was the first one that required you to actively think about your HAT source (altimeter setting) if you want to do any of the fun bombing types for your mission. At least if you wanted to do it accurately.

Looking forward to utilizing all of those fun systems in the Harrier/Hornet whenever they are released.

10 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s easier in the Hornet :wink:

2 Likes

I can sympathize with klarsnow as the Harrier shares the same design concept as the Hornet and Strike Eagle. The Harrier suffers a bit from not having enough expansion buttons and so that’s when you get into the “TDC does this in this mode and that when depressed” thing.

Take heart though, my fellow button pushers. Compared to some of the Thrustmaster profiles I’ve seen, the Harrier in its native layout will be a breeze! :wink:

Personally, I thought that the A-10s interface was a little cryptic compared to the Harrier. But, inevitably it’s what you are brought up with, I guess.

4 Likes