RAZBAM AV-8B Harrier II

Eh, Familiarity training is something to be done with a jet in a blank mission, the manual on a second monitor, some buddies on teamspeak and a few beers at hand. I haven’t completed a training mission since the A-10C came out.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever finished a campaign in DCS, FC, or LOMAC.

1 Like

I have only finished the Georgian Oil War Campaigns by Wags for the Ka50. I also finished a couple of other static stories for the Gazelle and Mi8. I won’t do any more. Trying to thread the tangle of trigger zones put in place by the designer to make a convoluted story work entails grind, frustration and precious little joy. I’d rather roll my own for free. GOW was something different entirely. What made it so great was a high level of refinement and a low level of sophistication. So, yeah, I’m with @near_blind on this one. Give me the machine and the environment and I will have all I need. When I want to get out of my sand box I will go online to find the closest thing to a dynamic campaign available. That’s my DCS workflow in a nutshell.

1 Like
4 Likes

You mean Belsimteks’ F-4E? That has wings that swing up at the tips, goes like hot stink, carries a ton of bombs and if needs be a pave tack :smiley: Didnt pave tack on the 'vark occupy the bomb bay?

(just done bought me the harrier too. cant wait to start pranging the kite over and over and over again)

1 Like

We will have to try to arrange a launch night (crash) flight session

1 Like

As for the campaigns:
I never finished any campaign in DCS. The only one I played more than 4 or 5 missions in is the U.N. campaign for the UH1 and even that one made me angry because SO often you have to replay hours of missions because something glitched or you are just outside some trigger zone and the mission halts, or a mission is dependent on some AI that just crashes for no reason at all and you fail the mission. Other campaigns I stopped playing because they were just too unrealistic. When playing with real life procedures makes you fail missions that sucks.
So no campaign with the Harrier? I couldn’t care less.

2 Likes

Well, I like to get the job done :wink:

Some good tips from this chap:

What I’m not keen on with the Harrier - sorry, the Night Attack, as many people who don’t know better may end up thinking it’s called, and with good reason (/sarcasm), is the textures and the sounds.

I worked alongside Harriers for 6 years and part of the overall package is the distinctive sounds they make - and all the vids I’ve watched are very lacking in that department. As for the textures, to me it looks like a plane in a game, unlike most of the other modules, which actually look pretty convincing.

I know, pre-release blah blah - one would think this sort of fundamental thing would be pretty much sorted now.

Come on, @near_blind, tell me how wrong I am :stuck_out_tongue: Seems to be a hobby of yours.

1 Like

Would that be right into the how’s your father, or is that catching your can in the Bertie?

I’m with you on the sounds. Supposedly the sounds being used in these videos are just the default sounds and the final product will be more accurate.

Military Sounds Studio is the guys who are supposedly developing the sounds, but there has not been any videos released with these sounds.

I don’t understand why they would be so tight about showing everything except how it sounds.

That would entirely depend on your nozzle position in the spot just before the spat where you go splat.

Interesting find on youtube

I couldn’t agree more. I have been flying campaigns as individual missions like this for years:

I have been working with ED to streamline this process and to create more options that put progression into the hands of the player if a campaign designer wishes. What we really need more than anything is a good incentive to fly the missions as a structured campaign in the first place. I wish I had a solid recommendation for them on that.

5 Likes

While I can see them talking me into the idea of a story campaign being done as paid DLC is ok with the standard arguments - I get the jet faster if that is not on the plate, Third parties who focus on it will be better at it, Third parties making money is better for everyone, People who don’t want it can ignore it, etc. That’s fine. But Training campaigns are a whole other issue for me. Buckle up.

-Rant on-

There should be a training campaign in every module sold, without exception. Every player who purchases your module should have the option, if they wish, to be led through a 15 mission guided tour of the aircraft, its systems, and combat employment. I made that 15 number up. If the module is a simple systems aircraft make it 5. If its the Harrier make it 20 or however many you need. Start with ground handling and take off and end with something completely esoteric that I will almost never use. In between, everything I need to be useful if I pick that aircraft. There are many reasons why I think that should be a default feature but here are the big three-

1. Training missions are the single best strength of scripted mission designing tools. You don’t need persistence, you don’t need an updated battlefield, and you don’t need complex triggers. Every day is a new day in the training sequence. It’s a business crime if the module doesn’t have the option to guide you through the employment of the aircraft when the tools are right there. As a module seller you only have two obstacles to wider sales, hardware requirements and learning curve. You can’t do much about the horsepower needed, but you can definitely ease the curve.

2. The module creators should be teaching me this aircraft. I don’t care how busy they are with other things, get the training on the list and leave it there. There is nobody more qualified to lead me through how the aircraft works in this game then the people who have been programming it for the past two years. Hire someone to speak soothingly if you need to.

3. Sometimes, the Socratic method sucks. Listen, @near_blind is far more patient than even he gives himself credit for, but sometimes I don’t want to ask him dumb questions for four days (four years) and when a new capability is added 2 more days (two more years). Mr. @bunyap2w1 has taught me more about employing the different weapons in his Youtube channel than anyone else on the internet. But watching Youtube isn’t playing the game. Get me in the cockpit and tell me what I should do next. Let me pick one mission out of the sequence like Bunyap suggests and refresh how to employ Sidearms, or GBU’s if I need to down the road.

And don’t tell me there is a manual for this stuff, ship that too. And don’t crow too loud that you included a training campaign this time. Just make it a default part of the experience.

-rant off-

12 Likes

Hear hear! Flying the Mirage training missions has taught me so many things I didn’t even know I needed to know.

5 Likes

What !!!??? the mirage has training missions?

I’ll have to check it out. Cheeses and cold meats is all i know about baguette’s

4 Likes

Awww, no love for dynamic campaigns?

ED, get it together and fix those bugs that are holding me back from working on more and better DCs. There is a pretty extensive, almost finished Viggen DCs burning on my HDD for 8 months now. Waiting, among other things, for AI Viggens to not crash on take off…

5 Likes

Only in 1.5.7

The sounds you hear in the current vids are only “placeholder” sounds for the working version. All will be changed in final product. I’ve seen this in the forums and on at least one review video on YouTube.

2 Likes

Beautifully done review of the DCS Razbam Harrier by Jabbers.

3 Likes

That is one of the best previews I seen so far - I enjoyed his VR set-up video as well. Someone should invite @jabbers here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes