Render Scale to 200% Helps VR?

In ‘Eye of Newt’ news, this tip is doing the rounds. Going to try it:

Here’s the short version, lifted from the forum:

Yes, it’s just like the title says: bump up the render scale for the PC graphics (not for VR) to 200% then check it out in VR.

It looks to help perhaps those with Reverbs? Dunno, will try it. If you have any luck then let us know…

2 Likes

Yeah, it sort of works. Not like double framerate or something, but maybe smoother? It obviously kills 2D performance on my 4K monitor, but when I’m in VR it does perhaps seem different - could be a delicious placebo though. Using OpenXR 107 preview ticked, at 75 with always on reprojection. In VR settings to render scale is 80. Am slumming it with a 2080 though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey… If it’s stupid and it works, it’s not stupid.

Is this sort of the DCS PD 0.5 and Steam SS 200% again…?

2 Likes

Not sure. It could be just a bug in MSFS in that they use the PC 2D side setting when they should be using the VR setting (for somethings), or maybe something related to the mirrored output. It seems to get about a 50% success rate, so being Sagittarius might help as well. :star2:

1 Like

Dammit!
Too late to do anything about that, right? Know anybody who can falsify a birth certificate?

Exactly 0 effect on my system:
G2
i9-9900k
2080ti

The positive side of this is that if the 50% success rate works here, I am the one offsetting someone who’ll get lucky :smiley:

2 Likes

I usually drink dragon’s milk while flying in VR.

Words to live by! :smiley:

1 Like

Moved this post here:

I tried setting my 2D render scaling to 200% as discussed last night on my 3080 equipped rig, and to my surprise it did work, sharpening the view both inside and out. And based on my non scientific methodology of noting the FPS before and after with the Shift+Z info add-on, picked up perhaps an average of 4 fps. I know that it doesn’t make sense to anyone, but those were my findings. I did switch back just to make sure that what I was seeing was not there by suggestion. Going back to render scaling of 100% in 2D was definitely worse.

1 Like