Rift S announced!

They really should have called it predator vision!

4 Likes

Welcome to the future, Highway!

1 Like

Yeah, you never forget your first VR headset.

2 Likes

FFS! :roll_eyes:

Mine arrived as well. Currently updating the Oculus software

… little blue bar can’t move fast enough …

4 Likes

I’m very impressed with the clarity, but I didn’t have anything to compare it to. The f14 is stunning.

2 Likes

The Rift CV1 wasn’t bad by any means, but I’m really looking forward to the sharper, brighter display.

1 Like

Okay, initial reactions.

Wow. I forgot how much I loved the Oculus environment. Comfort blows away O+. Clarity, audio are both excellent. Head tracking is excellent with just the headset. I would call this Rift 2.0.

Only negatives compared to the O+ that stand out to me are slightly smaller FOV and you can just barely see the screen door. None of this is scientific, just my initial take.

2 Likes

Really? I was actually expecting it to be fair, at best.

A thread I had on several forums listed free games and apps to download and try for new vr owners: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/546714-a-list-of-vr-starter-freebies/

2 Likes

@Gunnyhighway - in case nobody mentioned it already…or you were unaware, be careful leaving your headset on a desk or anywhere that sunlight might hit it. If the lenses catch some of the sunlight it can damage the displays. I have a desk that is in an area where some sunlight can, under the right circumstances, hit the top of it or under it…so I’m always aware of where I put my VR device.

2 Likes
1 Like

The Rift S sounds the same as the O+, in my opinion, but without the finicky ear cups. I never could get the O+ cups to sit right on my ears.

Frankly, the best part of the Rift S audio setup is that I can pop my headset on without needing to move or remove ear cups.

2 Likes

Ok…
Didn’t expect that. Cool!

RIFT-S $359 (Free Shipping) From Lenovo for Memorial Day Weekend with code SAVE10

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/consumer-electronics/ar-vr/Oculus-Rift-S-3D-virtual-reality-headset/p/78011328

4 Likes

Hm, this ALVR thing looks extremely interesting, may be worth keeping an eye on how that matures.
That adjustable IPD on the Quest sure is tempting, though all in all I’m pretty satisfied with the Rift S.

ALVR - PC streaming to Quest

Just looking at that YouTube thumbnail has my fingers quivering ready to “smash that subscribe button!”…

:rofl:

1 Like

Asking my self all the time if such thumbnails are really needed :dizzy_face:

Waiting for the postman…
My Rift S has been loaded on the delivery truck. The expected deliverytime is between 08 and 16…! :roll_eyes:

But, if my new toy had arrived on friday, I would probably have turned down some extra flying. I set out last night, to one of our hubs for a short layover and the red-eye flight back.
Basically off to sleep a few hours and fly back, finishing before I would’ve gotten out of bed anyway…
Helps pay for my toys, which is a good thing! :wink:

4 Likes

Oooh…

Troll needs it…
He also could need a couple of hours of sleep, or he’s going to be a very cranky Troll, in the afternoon…

Perhaps just a quick peek…?

My preciousssss…

12 Likes