Rift S announced!

Go to sleep @Troll that thing will still be there in the morning.

2 Likes

What if the Rift Fairy comes in the middle of the night (errā€¦day) and steals it away?

sleep1

5 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFBeLfpPAEY

Oh waitā€¦this isnā€™t the ā€œWhat we are listening toā€ threadā€¦my bad. :grin:

1 Like
3 Likes

Believe it or not, but I still havenā€™t unpacked my Rift Sā€¦ Itā€™s whatā€™s called a @BeachAV8R Pause, amongst VR users.

I need to finish my SimBox seat, and today I had to care for my daughter, who had a fever and stayed home from school. I guess offspring must be prioritized in situations like theseā€¦? No?

Thereā€™s always tomorrowā€¦

11 Likes

Weā€™ll try to be patient for your thoughts.

2 Likes

Beach was killing me then, youā€™re killing me nowā€¦

3 Likes

My seat build for the SimBox has finally progressed to a state where I can actually sit in my sim againā€¦

So, naturally I had to test the Rift S!

First I loaded up DCS and had a look around the Viggen cockpit, in the Rift CV1, to get a baseline. With pixel density 1.5 and 1.0.
I then unplugged the CV1 and plugged in the S. Did the firmware update and setup. Simple and straightforward.

Fit.
Excellent. Feels like a warm embrace. Secure and simple. Love it.
Gets a little bit warmer inside. Not as much air circulation as with the CV1, that had both light and air leaking in.

Screen door effect.
More like a nylon stocking now. You can still see it, but for all practical purposes, itā€™s gone.
Then, the CV1 never really bothered me with its SDE either. Guess itā€™s a thing, if you let it become a thingā€¦

Picture clarity.
A lot better! A marked improvement, but not perfect.

Field of view.
Slightly on the narrow side. The CV1 has a wider FoV. But I use a facial interface and thin foam from VRcover.com, that brings the displays of the CV1 closer to my eyes.
If I press the Rift S hard against my face, the FoV increases slightly. Perhaps it is closer to what the original face interface and foam used to be, on the CV1ā€¦?
Maybe VRcover can do some magic with the S too?

Refreshrate.
80Hz compared to 90Hz for the CV1. Canā€™t say I notice any differenceā€¦ ASW is of course 40 instead of 45. No discernable difference here either.

Audio.
Like using cheap on ear headphones, and holding them a few inches from your earsā€¦
I will make some adjustments here, thatā€™s for sure!

Tracking.
Works really well.
My SimBox setup got in the way of the Touch controllers when holding them down low.
With the sensors now in the headset, that problem is gone.
There seem to be a slight error in the ā€pitchā€ movement of the head. It translates slightly up and down as well as a rotational movement. Feels a bit like your eyes are further out from your head, than they should be. Donā€™t recall this being an issue with the CV1.

Touchcontrollers.
Like the old ones, but easier to hold.

Summary.
Like I expected, the Rift S is a two steps forward, one step back, experience.
I never expected it to be the last VR headset that I ever would need, nor that it would blow me away.
In DCS, the gauges, text and screens are a lot easier to read. I can now dial the pixel density back to 1.0 and still have a much better clarity than I did with the CV1 on 1,5. The reduced rate of 80Hz creates a 10FPS overhead that, in conjunction with the reduced pixel rendering of lowering the pixel density, makes it possible to increase graphics settings. I already tried MSAA x2 and it still maintains a steady 80FPS, where the CV1 would drop into 45FPS ASW, at PD 1,5.
I will have to experiment some more, of course, but with the announced VR improvements just around the corner, I think Iā€™ll wait.

Over all Iā€™m glad I got the Rift S.

10 Likes

Thanks for the write up! Seems general consensus by many is that the visual enhancements are worth the asking price of the unit.

1 Like

I got home late last night and of course, I had to at least try my Rift S. It was very easy to set up. Comfort wise I donā€™t see it as being any more or less comfortable than the CV1. It does feel better balanced though. I love the sharper, brighter display, but yes, I fogged up a bit too.

My IPD is 68 and it seemed ok, although I felt I wanted to adjust it (this to my mind is the biggest failing with this headset). I should add that with the CV1 I used VR Lens Lab lenses, so some of that is probably because of using the headset with uncorrected vision. My VR Lenses donā€™t fit the new headset, so I will have to keep my eyes open for a Rift S version.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve run across VERY few posts where people think the new sound delivery method is a good one. At least Oculus still provides an auxiliary port for your own headset, but for the life of me I canā€™t figure out why they chose to go this direction for sound.

1 Like

For DCS, I found the sound to be ok, and it was nice not having anything over my ears. I havenā€™t tried any other games with it yet though.

2 Likes

I think so, and the inside out tracking.

Mine is 66-67. Canā€™t say itā€™s a problem. Donā€™t see any difference when adjusting it either. Do you?

Agree. Sound is ok. Itā€™s just that the earphones of the CV1 were really good! The S audio is not as good. IMO.

1 Like

No argument there. The Rift CV1 was a well designed, premium product. The Rift S is aimed at a wider audience I think.

1 Like

No, I didnā€™t notice any change either.

Blockquote Mine is 66-67. Canā€™t say itā€™s a problem. Donā€™t see any difference when adjusting it either. Do you?

Nope, I didnā€™t spot any difference either after adjusting the software IPD.
I will say this though, at IPD of 66mm I think Iā€™m uncomfortably close to the outer edge of the sweetspot, so that the slightest shift in HMD positioning makes for a blurry edge, in either right or left eye.
For anyone contemplating buying the Rift S who sports an IPD above, say ~ 66-67 mm , just make sure you can return the headset, should it turn out to give you eyestrain or have too small of a sweetspot for your liking.
Otherwise itā€™s a pretty solid headset for the price I think, especially around these parts, where the Odyssey + is not available.

I wonder if the larger than 63.5 IPD is causing the narrow FoV?
How do you guys feel about the FoV?

1 Like

I think the FOV is pretty much the same as my CV1. The sweet spot is maybe smaller, but that is probably because of my IPD.

1 Like

FOV seems a bit smaller than CV1 I think, and yes, Iā€™m pretty sure my IPD being larger than the optimum 63.5 is the primary cause. The result is I have to move my head a lot more, to look around than I had to with the CV1. I canā€™t look much more than ~10 degrees off center horizontally, before the outer edge gets blurry.
Edit: didnā€™t measure those 10 degrees in anyway, just a best guess.

1 Like

It is odd, but my best guess was a USB power restriction, as everything is powered from that and the new panels have a high draw leaving little for anything else? The Rift S is right up against the limit for power draw, and it looks like the smaller sound drivers were used to help with the power budget. Some of the reports of screen flashes etc are due to motherboard makers not being completely correct with how some non USB 3.1 ports supply enough juice.

2 Likes