Rift S announced!

Dentist was happy, and as a result, so was my wallet. I guess Mom was right, it really pays to brush your teeth :slightly_smiling_face:

Some of my first Rift S impressions here, in random order. Keep in mind, I only just plugged it in :upside_down_face:

Comfort is very nice, feels almost the same or maybe even slightly better than CV1.

Setup experience is smooth. Selected Add Headset in Oculus Home, and followed onscreen guidance from there. Left my CV1 plugged in. I guess Home uses the headset sensor to choose wich Headset to send display to.
Small snag, when I was told by setup to put on the headset, it took quite some time to show a picture. (couple of minutes, donā€™t really know what was going on there, but eventually it showed upā€¦)
Guardian setup is really intuitive now, and very easy to configure.

Lots of room for prescription glasses, although Iā€™m still worried about scratching either the lenses or the glasses, so will still buy some 3rd. party inserts.

IPDā€¦
A physical slider would have been nice!
My IPD is 66mm and I feel like Iā€™m pretty close to the outer edges of the sweet spot. It does not take much eyemovement to see some blurrynessā€¦ But, not all that noticable when in game.

Display:
wow! Itā€™s really good! Very much an upgrade over the CV1, OLEDā€™s and LCDā€™s be damned!
First try, I kept DCS on my old CV1 settings (SS 1.8, MSAA 2) and MFD and cockpit text was tack sharp and readable. Didnt check FPS, but seemed quite smooth.
Dialed it back some, to SS 1.2, MSAA 4 and still everything was quite readable and no shimmering, yay. Still hard to read the center MFD with the bright map background in the Hornet though, but turned off the map background and I was able to read the text without leaning in. A contrast problem I think.
FPS while flying low over Batumi, in the Hornet freeflight mission appeared to be clamped on 40 FPS with ASW activated I guess? Same when moving into the heavily forrested areas.
Looking very promising I believe.

Screendoor effect isnā€™t really noticable, but still can be seen if you look for it. Itā€™s just a very very fine mesh now.

Tracking is flawless, atleast for the headset it self. I havenā€™t played around too much with the controllers yet, but seems fine aswell.

Specs:
i7 7700k @4.8Ghz, 32GB 3200Mhz, SSD, GTX 1080 8GB

9 Likes

Is it Friday, yetā€¦? :vr:

1 Like

Heh, hang in there, all good things comes to those who wait, you know :grin:
Really looking forward to hear your impressions of it. As for now, Iā€™m feeling pretty happy about it, although Iā€™m sure some small niggles will show up along the way.

Btw, forgot to mention the sound. Itā€™sā€¦ not good. Usable, but not good. Luckily I tend to use my speakers, so not that big of a problem for me.

Passthrough is also a nice feature, even though itā€™s very lowres and low FPS. But still, good enough to grab something or find the mouse and keyboard.
Still havenā€™t found a direct way to toggle it on/off, other than through Home.

3 Likes

If you are running MSAA at 4 with a 1080 and getting respectable FPS, then I am impressed.

1 Like

Well, to be fair there is not much going on in those instant action scenarios, and all shadows were set to flat. I suspect I will have to turn MSAA down to 2 when actually playing a mission.
But it seems SS 1.2 is plenty for producing readable text and guages, which in turn should make room for maybe enabling some shadows.

2 Likes

Excellent and helpful post @dachsdk!

Ā«Your shipment may be delayed due to reasons beyond our controlĀ»

They still have ETA Friday, thoughā€¦ :weary:

1 Like

And if it doesnā€™t arrive tomorrowā€¦

https://youtu.be/wxL8bVJhXCM?t=52

3 Likes

Stingers test the Sā€¦

https://youtu.be/smTPpz-XDwg

3 Likes

Well that was exciting. :grin:

Are you giggling?

1 Like

Iā€™d giggle a whole lot more if my Rift S parcel tracking showed some movementā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Taken from the Amazon appā€¦

:slight_smile:

Iā€™ll be on the road for nearly a week :frowning:

;).

4 Likes

Just talked to the Norwegian Postal serviceā€¦
Evidently my Rift S is delayed because of train delays on the route. First, you ship by courier and then the courier has a ground shipping agreement, in country?? Whereā€™s the logic in that? Second. The train stops about 500Km south of here, and the goods is transported by lorry, the last legā€¦
One wouldā€™ve thought theyā€™d send it by airmail.

Oh well! Iā€™ll have time to finish my chairā€¦ :wink:

5 Likes

Day drinking againā€¦

7 Likes

Have you used VR before @Gunnyhighway? I know it sounds a bit ā€˜Church of VRā€™ but youā€™re going to love it. DCS + Rift S is looking pretty much perfect.

3 Likes

This is the maiden voyage. And Iā€™m drunk. Donā€™t know if the 1070 will handle it but microcentersaid I could bring it back

2 Likes

I ran for a long time on a 1070 and it was fine, just turn down the MSAA and shadows in DCS so it has some fps and itā€™ll be great. Plus hopefully only a couple of weeks away from a performance boost in DCS anyway.

2 Likes

Awesome. My last VR experience was Nintendo VR

2 Likes

My first experience with DCS VR was also impaired.

That was with the Hornet when it was released. May not have blindly plunked down so much without the celebratory libations.

Was mind-blowing and havenā€™t looked back since. Start with the Hornet!

2 Likes

Updating firmware. Now. AAR will follow later. First impression the controllers are pretty cool.

3 Likes